EZKeyer in Bayou Jumper?

Brad Welton

Hello all, I am finally building my blue face edition and was wondering if I could install the EZKeyer II-i in it? The BJ is going to be housed in the Hobby Lobby box it is sized for. I am comfortable with using my straight key, but would like the opportunity in using my lightweight little iambic travel paddle with the rig when hiking.

Brad
WA1FTI
Sierra Vista, AZ

lisa

I would like to know that as well, I’m getting ready to start on my red rev-D version and I’m debating whether to go with the ez2i. or the ez3 in it’s own case.

On Jun 16, 2022, at 16:14, Brad Welton <bradweltonaerial@...> wrote:

Hello all, I am finally building my blue face edition and was wondering if I could install the EZKeyer II-i in it? The BJ is going to be housed in the Hobby Lobby box it is sized for. I am comfortable with using my straight key, but would like the opportunity in using my lightweight little iambic travel paddle with the rig when hiking.

Brad
WA1FTI
Sierra Vista, AZ

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Brad, Lisa

I think all you have to do is change out the keying transistor on the EZ KEYER
to one that will handle more current.
This was discussed in the appendix
 Of the latest version of the Bayou Jumper group, I think?

I know I have seen it some where in the documentation not long ago.

You can join the Bayou Jumper sub group and post this question there.

It can be done and it’s not too hard.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim, N5IB

Hi Lisa and Brad,

One thing to be aware of is that the revB (Blue) Bayou Jumper requires that the keyer's output transistor pass the full TX current of the rig - several hundred mA.
The standard BS170 output stage of the EZKeyer can't survive that, so some sort of keying buffer (described in the APPENDIX of the BJ manual) is required.
It is also possible to modify the EZKeyer itself by swapping out the BS170 in the EZKeyer for an IRF-510.

The revC (Red) used low-side BJT keying so the keyer only had to pass a few mA.
The revD (Red) uses high-side MOSFET keying, so also passes just a few mA through the keyer.
Thus both the revC and revD 'Jumpers are ready to play with most any keyer.

If you can physically fit the keyer inside the BJ's box you can put a stereo jack in the external key jack's position instead of a mono jack (as supplied in revD).

On the revC and revD main boards there are three pairs of pads "Accessory Connections" than can be used to route wiring from the key jack to the keyer inputs.
The silkscreen shows which pairs are connected together and which are grounded.
The keyer's output should go to one of the "Tx-Key" pads

On a revB board those accessory pads are labelled "TIP" "RING" and "GND" and the output of the keying buffer (NOT the keyer output itself) should go to the "KEY" pad.

73
Jim, N5IB

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Jim
That’s the info I was looking for, I just couldn’t remember where it was.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

K8DDB

Gang,
The attached PDF file shows a photo of how I implemented the RevB (Blue
Face) Bayou Jumper keying mod using the TIP42G (page 43 of the Assembly and
Instruction Manual). I hope some find it useful.
72,
Mike K8DDB