EZKeyer in BJ

Brad Welton

Hello all again, well I got my answer to installing the EZKeyerIIi in my BJ, and I got it compliments to Larry Ryan and his Paraset Presentation at SeaPac2022! The attached snipit, credits to Larry, shows the Keyer as it is installed in the BJ. I was wondering if there would be room for it there, and sure enough there is Thank you Larry for this as well your wonderful presentation!

de,
WA1FTI
Brad 

Larry Ryan

Hi Brad,
Glad you enjoyed the presentation.  Yep, the EZKeyer IIi fit ok but I did make some changes. The pushbuttons supplied with the kit didn't fit between the boards. I ordered some shorter push buttons from Amazon that fit. The IIi is SMT construction on a very small PCB - no problem finding a place for that. I kept the original key jack and added the supplied keyer jack for my paddles. With the Red version, the keying circuit called Keying Option 3 was selected (see page 19 of the assembly guide).  I disabled the EZKeyer sidetone because I have the Souper Upper sidetone working. 

Adding the keyer has made operating much easier. Like in my old Novice days, when you are "rock bound" you called CQ and tune the whole band for an answer. With the BJ, I call CQ and simply listen with the audio filter off and maybe tune a little. Most answers to a CQ are right on my freq probably listening with a 500 Hz (or less) filter. Most of my QSOs are skeds or answers to a CQ. Calling another CQ'er generally doesn't get an answer unless they are coincidentally on my crystal freq.  So, pushing a button to generate CQs makes operating more fun.  

For a long time 7030 had a carrier on 24/7 heard here on the West coast. That kept me up on 7122 - a good place for the rock bound. 

Funny story while programming the EZKeyer IIi:  the keyer is programmed from sending on the paddles. Simple? I can send error free CW for long QSOs. However, simply programming a CQ call or even "DE W7DGP" took over 10 tries! After a frustrating hour, I finally programmed the 3 memories!

When you want a sked Bj to BJ shoot an email anytime.

73, Larry W7DGP

Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 4:52 PM
To: 4SQRP@groups.io <4SQRP@groups.io>; llryan@... <llryan@...>
Subject: EZKeyer in BJ

Hello all again, well I got my answer to installing the EZKeyerIIi in my BJ, and I got it compliments to Larry Ryan and his Paraset Presentation at SeaPac2022! The attached snipit, credits to Larry, shows the Keyer as it is installed in the BJ. I was wondering if there would be room for it there, and sure enough there is Thank you Larry for this as well your wonderful presentation!

de,
WA1FTI
Brad