Field Day 2021

Charles W. Powell

For those of you who will be making an individual effort for Field Day, please also submit your scores for club credit.  We have decided we will use a simple form for the club name for this purpose:

4sQRP

This is short, simple, and leaves less room for error.   Good luck on Field Day this year!  I plan to stop at a park on my way back from Alabama in Selma, at Paul M. Grist State Park.  Here's hoping for good weather.  I will be tent camping!

72,

Charles - NK8O

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Charles for the reminder to the 4s Group that we can operate in separate locations
and submit our scores for the Group.

Please note that the Group name has to be exactly the same when you submit.
SO please us 4sQRP for your entries.
Be safe and have fun,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 9:36 PM Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those of you who will be making an individual effort for Field Day, please also submit your scores for club credit.  We have decided we will use a simple form for the club name for this purpose:

4sQRP

This is short, simple, and leaves less room for error.   Good luck on Field Day this year!  I plan to stop at a park on my way back from Alabama in Selma, at Paul M. Grist State Park.  Here's hoping for good weather.  I will be tent camping!

72,

Charles - NK8O

W9QS

Count me in….

Mike

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 09:36:35 PM CDT, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

For those of you who will be making an individual effort for Field Day, please also submit your scores for club credit.  We have decided we will use a simple form for the club name for this purpose:

4sQRP

This is short, simple, and leaves less room for error.   Good luck on Field Day this year!  I plan to stop at a park on my way back from Alabama in Selma, at Paul M. Grist State Park.  Here's hoping for good weather.  I will be tent camping!

72,

Charles - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

My Field Day submission has been made.  202 QSOs, final score 2470, including 100% emergency power, alternative power QSOs (solar), public location, social media (FB post in WWFF and POTA forums).

Submission under 4sQRP, which showed up on the ARRL list.

Let's see what we can do.  We made a fairly casual effort but I suspect all but the most hard-core operators did the same.

72,

Chas - NK8O

Dave Benson

Chas-

Nice-   a good score and a successful event!

I did an all-homebrew Field Day here.  I was set up in our currently-empty wood crib.

40M CW:  43
20M CW:  82

I went to change antennas at first light on Sunday.  An overhead support line was firmly hung up, and I destroyed the 40M antenna getting it down.   I elected not to shoot a replacement support line. Thanks to that issue, I never did get on 80M.  20M proved quite productive on Sunday, and by midday, distances were as short as 100 miles- probably a good VHF opening underway.

I also got stung while breaking the station down.  All in all- a typical Field Day.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 10:54 PM Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My Field Day submission has been made.  202 QSOs, final score 2470, including 100% emergency power, alternative power QSOs (solar), public location, social media (FB post in WWFF and POTA forums).

Submission under 4sQRP, which showed up on the ARRL list.

Let's see what we can do.  We made a fairly casual effort but I suspect all but the most hard-core operators did the same.

72,

Chas - NK8O

bryan rice

I have a question for you I have a 80 through 10 end fed dipole I'm trying to put together a portable qrp station I have the hb1b rig but the last time I strung it up in the tree I went through a automatic antenna tuner to no avail I blowed my final but all that's repaired now what did I do wrong does these antennas require a peace of ground wire long short earth ground I'm lost . You're thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 5:02 AM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
[...]

Bryan-

Sorry to hear about that mishap.

I guessing that your end-fed wire antenna is a commercial product. As such, it shouldn't be badly mismatched.  It shouldn't need a short length of counterpoise wire unless they recommend it.

The picture's a little less clear for a homebrew end-fed.  I'd convinced myself that no counterpoise was needed. The one I built didn't work worth a darn at first.  A 3-foot counterpoise made everything better.

You probably don't need a short earth ground connection. Satellites work fine without them.  They are useful, though, to prevent static buildup on the bigger antennas in particular.  They may also help with 'RF-hot' setups.  Those are situations where you're part of the antenna, and adding the ground diverts RF current flow elsewhere.  Anyway- it won't hurt to have one, and it could help.

Does your autotuner 'remember' the settings once it's found a match?  If so, it may be possible to check out the antenna with another rig- one that's better-protected against high-SWR.

Also- some of the antenna tuner kits tend to include some attenuation that can be switched in or out for tuning up.  They protect your rig final against high SWR by making sure the rig sees fairly close to 50 ohms no matter the tuner adjustments.  Those may be worth looking into.

I didn't answer your question definitively- everyone's situation is different. Hopefully you can move forward from here, and good luck!

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 6:32 AM bryan rice <bryanrice69@...> wrote:
[...]

n4mj

Great job Dave (K1SWL) & Chas (NK8O). My only QRP activity during FD 2021 was the first 9 stations on solar power. Otherwise our club was 2A, 100w, mostly digital.  Pretty good score and we had multiple youth at the GOTA station.

On to FD 2022.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 04:02:33 AM CDT, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

[...]

PhilKE3FL

I must have missed something, so I'll ask, is there a Field Day form we're supposed to fill out for a Field Day Operation? And where do I use the "4sQRP" designation? In the subject or on the form or...?
--
tnx es 73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras

Vin Scimeca

I submitted my information via the ARRL electronic submission form:

https://field-day.arrl.org/fdentry.php

There is a section for “club” to be selected when putting in the rest of your information.

73 – Vin – W1VKE

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of PhilKE3FL via groups.io <sweepspk@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 9:48 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Field Day 2021

I must have missed something, so I'll ask, is there a Field Day form we're supposed to fill out for a Field Day Operation? And where do I use the "4sQRP" designation? In the subject or on the form or...?
--
tnx es 73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras
http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl

n4mj

It sounds like you have an EF long wire antenna, ie 80 - 10m.  EF dipoles can be tricky as their feed impedance can vary widely with frequency, terrain, height above ground, near-by objects, etc.

If you are just getting started in AR, at least portable, operation it might be wise to consider a different antenna. There are many possibilities.  I mention this one only because it comes to mind, I have no experience with it - Buddi Pole (The Buddipole™ - HF portable dipole antenna system)

. A little expensive for limited use but compared to the cost of replacing finals in a transceiver....I'm sure others may offer different available antennas

Personally I prefer the OCF, off center fed, dipole fed with a 4:1 balun and coax directly to that balun.  Has worked super good for me for years.  Easy to build, inexpensive, although it may not be as easy to 'throw up in a tree or over a cliff, it works every time...Another point - I don't like using antenna tuners - cut the antenna for the band you want to use and go with it.  I have two OCFs that I use at home and for FD.  Each cut for 40m (CW portion of the band in my case). They let me work 40, 20, 10 meters w/o a tuner.  I use a LDG 4:1 balun on each antenna.

If you insist on using the EFHW you may find this link an interesting read: End Fed Antennas - Palomar Engineers® (palomar-engineers.com)  NOTE especially their recommendation of a choke and ground for this type antenna.

Good luck with your portable operations and remember 'resonant antennas' save transmitters.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 05:32:53 AM CDT, bryan rice <bryanrice69@...> wrote:

[...]

Nice work Dave.  That's a darn good score.  How about some shots of the guts of those home-brewed radios?

Charles

On 6/29/21 4:02 AM, Dave Benson wrote:
[...]

Bryan,

It's hard to say without seeing your entire setup.  My question is what is the matching range for the ATU?  The Elecraft T1 has specs for a very wide matching range, but I suspect others may be more limited.  I think the LDG tuners have a 10:1 match range.  Most end fed antennas have a matching transformer due to the very high impedance of an end fed wire, and they should come rather close to a match even without a tuner if the transformer and antenna length are correct.  My suggestion is to do some experimentation with your antenna, using an analyzer.  Then you won't be trying to match outside the range of your tuner.

Also, end fed antennas do require a counterpoise.  The loss is something like 20 dB without it.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On 6/29/21 5:32 AM, bryan rice wrote:
[...]

Phil,

I have attached a screen shot of the top of the submission screen.  The club is right at the top.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On 6/29/21 8:48 AM, PhilKE3FL via groups.io wrote:
I must have missed something, so I'll ask, is there a Field Day form we're supposed to fill out for a Field Day Operation? And where do I use the "4sQRP" designation? In the subject or on the form or...?
--
tnx es 73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras
http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl

PhilKE3FL

Charles,
Tnx but I can't find that html page, do you have a URL so I can locate it? I did find many loggin "programs" on the ARRL site but not a simple on-line form to fill out.
--
tnx es 73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras

n4mj

Presuming you are looking for the Field Day form for ARRL reporting:  Field Day Entry (arrl.org)  will do that.
73 de n4mj

  Thank you!

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:36:35 PM CDT, PhilKE3FL via groups.io <sweepspk@...> wrote:

Charles,
Tnx but I can't find that html page, do you have a URL so I can locate it? I did find many loggin "programs" on the ARRL site but not a simple on-line form to fill out.
--
tnx es 73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras
http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl

PhilKE3FL

tnx tat's what I needed. All done 5 more 5W QSOs for 4sQRP.
--
73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras

Charles W. Powell