Topics

Field Day Reports

Keith Arns

This certainly going to be a strange year for FD.  Take a photo and / or write up a short paragraph and share your experiences with the 4State QRP Group.  It is always fun to see what others are doing. I will do a special FD issue of the QRP Banner.  Send your info to the link below.  Have fun and be safe.

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Dave Benson

Keith and multitudes-

Here's hoping there's decent activity levels. I'm guessing there'll be a lot more class-D and -E stations.

I've shot a line over a big pine-  it's up 65 feet and I'll use either a 20M vertical dipole or an inverted-Y for 40M. I'll put a screen tent up this morning in a shaded spot in our woods.  The weather will be an unknown- a  60% chance of T-storms both days. If need be, I can move to our small 'cabin'.   It'd be tempting to skip the tent and set up there instead, but that'll mean mosquitoes (Praise the Lord and pass the DEET!)

When I wrap up Field Day, I'm exhausted, bug-bitten and sunburned. You know- a complete success!  Best of luck to all, and hope to work you this weekend.

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM Keith Arns via groups.io <kc0pp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
This certainly going to be a strange year for FD.  Take a photo and / or write up a short paragraph and share your experiences with the 4State QRP Group.  It is always fun to see what others are doing. I will do a special FD issue of the QRP Banner.  Send your info to the link below.  Have fun and be safe.

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Nick WA5BDU

I'm doing something similar - putting up my screen house and a temporary antenna in the backyard. A sane person might ask - Why not just stay in the house?  But camping in the back yard awakens the ten year old boy in me. Plus I've invested in that screen house and that generator so why not use 'em?

My faith is not strong enough to go with QRP though. But I know a lot of people will make 100s of QSOs as QRP.

I've been K5PXP on FD most of the past 30 years or so. This year I'll be WA5BDU.

Nick, WA5BDU 1B AR

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:47 AM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
Keith and multitudes-

Here's hoping there's decent activity levels. I'm guessing there'll be a lot more class-D and -E stations.

I've shot a line over a big pine-  it's up 65 feet and I'll use either a 20M vertical dipole or an inverted-Y for 40M. I'll put a screen tent up this morning in a shaded spot in our woods.  The weather will be an unknown- a  60% chance of T-storms both days. If need be, I can move to our small 'cabin'.   It'd be tempting to skip the tent and set up there instead, but that'll mean mosquitoes (Praise the Lord and pass the DEET!)

When I wrap up Field Day, I'm exhausted, bug-bitten and sunburned. You know- a complete success!  Best of luck to all, and hope to work you this weekend.

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM Keith Arns via groups.io <kc0pp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Larry Makoski

I'll be 1E NNJ.

Setting up in the back yard with the PAR END FEDZ for the daytime. Too close to the house to be considered 1B.
The set up will be the KX3 attached to my deep cycle battery, which in turn will be connected to my Harbor Freight solar panel.

For the night time, I'll transfer the KX3 down to the shack and use my permanent wires for 80 and 160 Meters. When those bands peter out, I'll hit the sack. No full 24 hours for W2LJ this year - not with a comfortable mattress so close!

Larry W2LJ

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM Nick WA5BDU <kennnick@...> wrote:
I'm doing something similar - putting up my screen house and a temporary antenna in the backyard. A sane person might ask - Why not just stay in the house?  But camping in the back yard awakens the ten year old boy in me. Plus I've invested in that screen house and that generator so why not use 'em?

My faith is not strong enough to go with QRP though. But I know a lot of people will make 100s of QSOs as QRP.

I've been K5PXP on FD most of the past 30 years or so. This year I'll be WA5BDU.

Nick, WA5BDU 1B AR

Keith and multitudes-

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Dave Benson

Guys-

Hope to hear and work you both this weekend!

The tent thing fell through. The tent itself was fine, but the rain fly (never used before) isn't big enough.   I'm now set up in the cabin and the antennas are good to go. Worked a few on 40 and 15M.  I usually give 80M only brief attention, but this time I've got the height for a quarter-wave vertical. We'll see.  I plan to hook up the 4SQRP Hilltoppers for old time's sake and work a few.

Best of luck to all-  let's see what this challenging year brings!

73-  Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:44 AM Larry Makoski <w2ljqrp@...> wrote:
I'll be 1E NNJ.

Setting up in the back yard with the PAR END FEDZ for the daytime. Too close to the house to be considered 1B.
The set up will be the KX3 attached to my deep cycle battery, which in turn will be connected to my Harbor Freight solar panel.

For the night time, I'll transfer the KX3 down to the shack and use my permanent wires for 80 and 160 Meters. When those bands peter out, I'll hit the sack. No full 24 hours for W2LJ this year - not with a comfortable mattress so close!

Larry W2LJ

Nick, WA5BDU 1B AR

Keith and multitudes-

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Dave
Good to hear from you.
Good luck with field Day!
I’m going to give it a try from the shack and my 65 ft converted TV antenna tower!
Hope to cu there.
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:49 PM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
Guys-

The tent thing fell through. The tent itself was fine, but the rain fly (never used before) isn't big enough.   I'm now set up in the cabin and the antennas are good to go. Worked a few on 40 and 15M.  I usually give 80M only brief attention, but this time I've got the height for a quarter-wave vertical. We'll see.  I plan to hook up the 4SQRP Hilltoppers for old time's sake and work a few.

73-  Dave, K1SWL

I'll be 1E NNJ.

Larry W2LJ

Nick, WA5BDU 1B AR

Keith and multitudes-

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Dave Benson

Johnny-

Thanks for the shout, and best of luck to you this weekend! 

73- Dave, K1SWL

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 7:59 PM Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Hello Dave
Good to hear from you.
Good luck with field Day!
I’m going to give it a try from the shack and my 65 ft converted TV antenna tower!
Hope to cu there.
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:49 PM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
Guys-

73-  Dave, K1SWL

I'll be 1E NNJ.

Larry W2LJ

Nick, WA5BDU 1B AR

Keith and multitudes-

73- Dave, K1SWL
1B- Battery

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

--

Woody Hester

I may not make a ton of contacts, but it will be fun.  I will be 1E IL, from home, and my goal is to use every QRP rig I have in the stable, including crystal controlled and milliwatt rigs, making at least one contact with each and checking off a fresh W.A.S. map as I go.  Please listen WIDE when on the QRP frequencies cuz most of my crystals are slightly off center frequency.  I will use my 6BTV and my 85 foot inverted L. Great Field Day to all! 72!  / Woody / WD9F

Keith Arns

K0FHG and I will be operating from a small park in St.  Peters, Mo. Running KX3's and Mag Loop antennas.  N0A for the St. Louis QRP Society; 2B Mo.

KC0PP

John Lonigro

AA0VE will be operating from a small bedroom, running a KX3 at 5W and a radio-controlled mag loop antenna.  I'll be 1E MO.

As an aside, the NWS shows a moderate chance of lightning/thunder between now and 1:00 Sunday afternoon - perfect timing!

During the contest, I will be snacking on grapes, in memory of Randy, WA0OUI.

73 and Good Luck in the Contest,

John, AA0VE

On 6/27/20 10:09 AM, Keith Arns via groups.io wrote:
K0FHG and I will be operating from a small park in St.  Peters, Mo. Running KX3's and Mag Loop antennas.  N0A for the St. Louis QRP Society; 2B Mo.

KC0PP

Johnny AC0BQ

Good luck on your field day ventures.
Have fun and stay Well!
72, 73
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:
AA0VE will be operating from a small bedroom, running a KX3 at 5W and a radio-controlled mag loop antenna.  I'll be 1E MO.

As an aside, the NWS shows a moderate chance of lightning/thunder between now and 1:00 Sunday afternoon - perfect timing!

During the contest, I will be snacking on grapes, in memory of Randy, WA0OUI.

73 and Good Luck in the Contest,

John, AA0VE

On 6/27/20 10:09 AM, Keith Arns via groups.io wrote:

KC0PP

--

Woody Hester

OK. I'm done.  Had fun.  Spent a total of about 6 hours in the effort.  Lots of time switching rigs, finding connectors, hooking things up, etc.  Total of 35 states (CONUS) all 5W or less.  Highlight was a contact in VA with my Rockmite 20.  Low point was discovering my beloved HW-8 is not working (winter project I guess). Other rigs used with success MTR 2, 3 & 5 with 9V battery, SS40/NS40, SST 40, KX3 (5W), FT817ND.  Rigs used with no success Pixie, Cricket 80A, Ham Can and three different "Rex" rigs built at FDIM buildathons.  Naturally, the KX3 and FT-817ND were the work horses accounting for 80% of all contacts with the MTRs doing a great job too.  6BTV & 85 foot inverted L.  10M, 15M, 20M, 40M.  Good time!  72 all! Woody/WD9F

John - KK4ITX

Woody,

It sounds like a very successful outing despite a few hics & cups.  You have quite an arsenal of equipment too.

John
KK4ITX 

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Curt

Worked 16 stations over 2 hours operating CW on 15, 20, 40 from the patio table using a K1-4 into a wire thrown into a pine tree.  Attached is a picture of the setup.  Ignore the clutter please lol.  I quit smoking years ago but the stone ashtray is useful for anchoring the station end of the wire.   The flyswatter is appropriate this time of the year here.

72, Curt KB5JO

B C K9WIS <k9wis@...>

this was a fun event..learned a lot about power budget management with solar panel and battery as power source. I waited until after 18:00Z on Saturday to throw my dipole up into a a couple of trees in the yard and set up the radio and computer on the patio. It took all of 15 minutes to set up and that short delay bought me an extra  3 hours in the contest that allowed me to operate Sunday afternoon when the bands were more QRP friendly.  226 Q's, plus w1aw fd message, 100% emergency, natural power bonus points..oh, an dont forget the 50 free points for submitting logs online.

Brian K9WIS

-----------------------------------------

To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday June 25 2020 8:44:19PM
Subject: [4SQRP] Field Day Reports

editorqrpbanner@...

Regards,
KC0PP
Keith Arns
QRP Banner Editor

Bill Lamm

It was an experiment day.. new endfed wire in the trees, a 'yun yun' multitap un un and an untested uBITX v5 so I setup on the deck but had to go commercial power, buck converter problems.. Had a few contacts on 40m.  In the evening and Sunday morning I worked 20m on my IC-718 same wire in the trees but used the mfj tuner. Made most of my points by filing report on line but it was a good day...

Charles W. Powell

I had my information on the Facebook Group, but not everyone reads Facebook. I was out for perhaps 2 1/2 hours, certainly no more.  5 watts, vertical, 20 meters only.  Solar charging and battery power.  51 QSOs = 510 points, plus 100 for public park, 100 for 100% emergency power, and 100 for alternate power.  I missed out on an additional 100 points because I didn't post on Facebook that I was going out for FD.  Who knew?  I guess it helps to read the directions! Anyway, total points = 860, including electronic submission.  I put the club name in, so we may have an interesting score when it comes out in the wash.

Charles - NK8O

Ed Meyer, WG5F

I had a meager QRP operation from the lake property. 
I used the 250' Horizontal loop (after I repaired one corner that blew down sometime over the past two weeks...) then made 95 contacts 80-40-20-15 meters. 
I was surprised how long 20 stayed open on Saturday evening.
Snagged a couple of Hawaii stations and Rhode Island. 
Added Barbados as a "DX" QSO too.
Did not break out the solar panel and I forgot to copy the Field Day Bulletin.
So - it was fun, but certainly not back breaking work this year.
Glad to see so many 4SQRP operators made it on the air.
-Ed, WG5F-
(1E OK)