Topics

File /1916 Telegrapher magazine/The Northwest Telephone and Telegraph Review Magazine October 1916 Edition Zip Folder.zip uploaded #file-notice

main@4SQRP.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@4SQRP.groups.io group.

By: Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

This is a Zip file version of Roy AC9DN,s Upload titled 1916 Telegrapher magazine. I rotated the photos 90 degrees so they appear upright with each image containing 2 pages each from the October 1916 Edition of The Northwest Telephone and Telegraph Review Magazine. I edited the images a wee bit to sharpen the text slightly and then renamed and compressed them all into this 41.06 Mb zip file. Very 72 de Cliff, KU4GW 4SQRP#536

Neil Gallensky - WA7VHT

Thanks for posting the images from the great telegraphy magazine.  This afternoon I decided to make an attempt at converting the folder of images into a single PDF document, with some basic OCR (making most but likely not all of the document text searchable).  I did not attempt to test all of the OCR or do further editing.  The file is now quite a bit smaller than the collection of individual images (15.5 MB).

The PDF document has been uploaded to the files area on the 4sqrp website at:

73,
Neil
WA7VHT

On Oct 26, 2020, at 10:51 AM, main@4SQRP.groups.io Notification <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@4SQRP.groups.io group.

By: Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

This is a Zip file version of Roy AC9DN,s Upload titled 1916 Telegrapher magazine. I rotated the photos 90 degrees so they appear upright with each image containing 2 pages each from the October 1916 Edition of The Northwest Telephone and Telegraph Review Magazine. I edited the images a wee bit to sharpen the text slightly and then renamed and compressed them all into this 41.06 Mb zip file. Very 72 de Cliff, KU4GW 4SQRP#536

n4mj

FANTASTIC READING!!!  Anyone with an interest in telegraphy and its history will bathe in the greatness of ingenuity. A little romance, words of fame, and outstanding historical information make this document well worth the time to read and excite the mind to days of yesteryear.

On a more serious side this document has preserved the history of electrical/electronic communications.  Today we enjoy so many ways to communicate electronically that we either forget or do not know how we got here.

Thanks to Bob, WA2CKY & Neil, WA7VHT for making this wonderful historical document available to us.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 08:26:53 PM CDT, Neil Gallensky - WA7VHT <negradio@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Goemans

Looks good!
  I love the “Radio Department” pages! I guess the word didn’t reach the editor about the radio station operating at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Wireless transmissions started in 1914 and the station was licensed as 9XM in 1915. Experimental music broadcasts began in 1917. The station continues to this day as WHA AM, still licensed to the University of Wisconsin.

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Thanks for posting the images from the great telegraphy magazine.  This afternoon I decided to make an attempt at converting the folder of images into a single PDF document, with some basic OCR (making most but likely not all of the document text searchable).  I did not attempt to test all of the OCR or do further editing.  The file is now quite a bit smaller than the collection of individual images (15.5 MB).

The PDF document has been uploaded to the files area on the 4sqrp website at:

73,
Neil
WA7VHT

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

Thank you so much Neil! This saves me some space on my already cluttered up hard drive and I notice I can view the images much better in the PDF version which is great because my eyesight isn't what it used to be, a result of type II sugar diabetes. I zoomed out to 50% for the best view of 2 pages at once, but being able to zoom in on one page at a time is great! I'm going to delete the Zip file if I can to free up group space for more group members to upload more photos without exceeding the limit groups dot io has on the amount of storage we have available. If Roy, AC9DN, would delete the 22 individual jpg image files it would free up a lot more space as well. Again, thanks so much! The images in the PDF file look fantastic!

Very 72/73 de Cliff KU4GW
Proud Member of the ARRL A-1 Operator Club (*Elected to Full Membership April 11, 2012
4SQRP # 536