Topics

Fire In The Wire

Jim Upson

Check out this site....FANTASTIC insight on building a Type 43 transformer....

especially go to the first link on page 1 From the above link.....here it is just to emphasize it....

73, Jim / AC3B

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:00 AM Joshua Wood <WoodJRx@...> wrote:
Thank you all for your ideas and recommendations,  in this thread and all the splintered ones, private and public!  My wife had minor sinus surgery, and I work in a hospital,  so I've been a bit preoccupied.   I'm definitely going to go through the responses as soon as I  can!

-Josh
W0ODJ

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 14:10 Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
From the consensus here, I think I'll make myself another full-sized W3EDP End-fed and try that next time I go operate at the park. It'll have to be when the parks are actually OPEN again, as the recent COVID-19 quarantine effort has caused them all to be closed, at least in my neck of the woods. That's literally...one of the parks in question is a humongous farm with big wooded areas here and there with trails throughout it. It's called the Norristown Farm Park, KFF-4363, and it's my favorite since it's only a mile or so from me. One of the side parking lots has a couple of handicapped spaces my van will fit into, and has a picnic table under a small shelter just 50-75 feet from the parking lot, so I can roll my little flat roller cart over there from my van and set up. There's plenty of room, a flat, grassy area, that I usually use for my wire antennas next to the table, so I set up my antenna, then set up the station under the shelter, and begin operating. The only end-fed I've used there so far is the SOTABeams end-fed with the built-in 20/30/40 tuner, and that works reasonably well. But I may just try a W3EDP this spring with my Elecraft T1 tuner and see what results I get.

I've got other experiments on the burner as well, including a dipole made of electric fence strap -- 15 parallel stainless-steel wires woven lengthwise into a 2" wide strap of poly webbing. It's used to make some fantastically wide-bandwidth single band dipoles, so I want to see if I can make a fan dipole using the stuff. There may be too much coupling between the wires, but it's worth a try. It might just need a lot of trimming to overcome the coupling. If that's the case, I may be able to make a decent multi-band fan dipole that's simpler to erect. I'd model it, but frankly, I don't yet know how to use the modeling software. I've got several programs, but they're so much Greek to me! hi hi

73
Gwen, NG3P

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
I am a big fan of end fed antennas for portable use as well. Even when I
am in a wooded area I usually use my 31' or 28' Jackite pole as a
support. I attach the wire to the tip, extend the mast to its full
height, and then just let it lean into a tree.

Tim N9PUZ

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Curt

I have had good luck with 1-5W on 20M with 34' wire up in a tree tuned with a KI6J Tuner that predated the Sota tuner.  Use it from my patio when weather n bugs permit,  Used it portable from Northern Ontario a decade ago with an ATS-3 @ 1W, made lot of contacts into all parts of the US from inside a cabin as the bugs never allowed outside.

My 2 cents.

Curt KB5JO

Joshua Wood

Wanted to reply that I've tried most of the ideas out there.  I've recently got a NanoVNA to do a bit better evaluations than my diode based swr analyzers.  I've had tons of fun trying stuff, and was going take what I call my "antenna erector set" to show at Ozarkcons display table (4:1 voltage balun, 1:1 balun, common mode choke, 9:1 unun, line spacers, end insulators, etc).  I'd like to think I'm searching for the miracle antenna - but I'm fully aware it doesn't exist.  I has hoping someone else had found it!  ^.^

-Josh
W0ODJ

John

Josh

I love that

Can you write a one page or 2 for the Qrp Quarterly magazine right away so we can publish your awesome ideas?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:50 PM Joshua Wood <WoodJRx@...> wrote:
Wanted to reply that I've tried most of the ideas out there.  I've recently got a NanoVNA to do a bit better evaluations than my diode based swr analyzers.  I've had tons of fun trying stuff, and was going take what I call my "antenna erector set" to show at Ozarkcons display table (4:1 voltage balun, 1:1 balun, common mode choke, 9:1 unun, line spacers, end insulators, etc).  I'd like to think I'm searching for the miracle antenna - but I'm fully aware it doesn't exist.  I has hoping someone else had found it!  ^.^

-Josh
W0ODJ

--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life

wynger99@yahoo.com

Sounds like great stuff to me....  I would have been talking to you about your "miracle antenna".....  I was thinking that would make a good "Mini" podcast to help replace our loss of Ozarkcon..Maybe Tinker John could do another one and or any of the other presenters as well..   Just some thoughts from an old ham.

73"s  Dale WN0WWY

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 7:53:04 PM CDT, John <ve3ips@...> wrote:

[...]

K0WDO Will Osborn

Thanks for the idea Bob W9RAN !

I purchased the 31 ft jackite pole & mounted it insulated from, and 2 ft above my 900 ft long chain link fence. The 12 ga wire radiator is taped up the jackite pole & is a total of 33 ft in length. At the bottom I use a 4:1 unun with ground/radial lug bonded to the fence top rail & tension wire. Picture attached.

To my surprise it has worked gang busters and the tuner in shack has no problem with 10-40 meters since the SWR is fairly low already. 80 meters is doable but is understandably inefficient. When I get motivated I’ll put out some radials but for now this is a perfect Summertime antenna that’s easy to mow around once I bury the coax.

I added a few Dacron guys and it survived some crazy Kansas wind the past 2 weeks.

73 and thanks again for the great ideas and shared knowledge in this group. I hope you are all healthy.
Will
K0WDO

On Mar 14, 2020, at 4:23 PM, w9ran <w9ran@...> wrote:

On 3/14/2020 2:32 PM, Joshua Wood wrote:
any advice for a portable (i.e. small packed size) multi-band HF antenna (40-30-20-15)
Well I didn't believe it when a mil radio buddy who does a lot of portable operation first told me, but after giving it a try I am a firm believer that it's very hard to beat a 31 ft. telescoping fiberglass Jackite (kite) pole with a wire run up the center, a small autotuner like an SGC-235, and three or four 30 ft. long counterpoise wires. There are many ways to hold it up including a drive-over base and the kind of "quad pod" used for highway signs, or light paracord guy wires. Mine fastens to the back of my RV and I can have it up and be on the air in 5 minutes. With a little ingenuity a mount can be figured-out for any kind of operation and some radios with built-in tuners will match it directly.

Vertical real estate is usually easier to find than horizontal, and no natural or manmade supports are needed so you can set up on pavement, bare rock, or any surface. The antenna is a quarter wave on 40 and easily tunes to the higher bands and as low as 80 meters, and signal reports are consistently "as good as your home station". Jackite poles collapse down to 46 inches and even have a place to wind up the antenna wire for storage. Tie a big fishing sinker on each counterpoise wire and attach them with alligator clips so when (not "if") you trip over them they won't kill you. The best part is the 31 ft pole will cost about $80 and the rest is just wire and hardware store parts (conduit hangers fit perfectly).

So many hams have used them for antennas that Jackite has added an "antennas" page to their website: https://www.jackite.com/antenna

By they way some have used them as permanent antennas - just wrap a few turns of electrical tape above each joint so it can't work loose with temperature cycling.

73, Bob W9RAN