Topics

Great CW operating article

Dr Jim Kennedy

A truly well written and informative article about CW operating. http://atcweb.com/tsn/Accent.pdf
Hope you all enjoy.
--
*72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FN20qv - SKCC#5669 - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988*

Charles Wells

Thanks for posting this article.  As a budding CW operator trying to accumulate the courage to make the first qso I really appreciate it.  Although the article is several months younger than me, I've come to amateur radio only recently.  Many thanks
73/72
Chas AD0UY

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 08:46 Dr Jim Kennedy via Groups.Io <phdad_ccm=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A truly well written and informative article about CW operating. http://atcweb.com/tsn/Accent.pdf
Hope you all enjoy.
--
*72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FN20qv - SKCC#5669 - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988*

John

Thanks Doc for this article as I think FT8 isnt ham radio
John ve3ips
--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life

n4mj

John, VE3IPS, I agree - FT8 is NOT ham radio...  Can see that it might be useful for "coordinated" propagation studies by designated researchers/organizations but it is NOT ham radio.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Sunday, November 10, 2019, 07:31:59 AM CST, John <ve3ips@...> wrote:

Thanks Doc for this article as I think FT8 isnt ham radio
John ve3ips
--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life
All content is personal and confidential

Joseph B Cotton

Yes, great article about CW operation.  Af few things have changed since the article has been written.

1.  "Pick some station who is already calling CQ and answer his call rather than adding to the bedlam with a CQ of your own. On the remote chance that you hear no CQ's, go ahead and try one..."
Today, everyone seems to be looking at a waterfall screen to see if anyone is on the air.  I would recommend that beginners also call CQ.

2.  (paraphrase) Tuning around to find a reply signal...   That was for rigs crystal controlled.  With today's VFO controlled rigs, one should try to zero-beat the calling station before answering a call.

3.  We now use BK for BacK to you.  Station-one sends BK and station-two starts with BK as if to say I'm taking it back now.

4.  Or, use  KN to say Back to you only.  No other station to break in. this is more formal.

5.  It's good practice to mention something that you received in the other station's last transmission, with an FB (fine business).  Like FB ON YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW'S GOING HOME...

6.  Practice having a good fist - that is sending clear and copy-able code.  Proper spacing is key (no pun intended).  The article says to listing to professional "circuits" but we don't have any of these anymore.  You could listen to ARRL code, or my streaming station. http://myradiostream.com/embed/free.php?s=w3ttt&btnstyle=default

7.  There are many morse code decoders software, many for free. Get one and send to the decoder.  See how a decoder reads your sending!  You may be in for a shock. Most decoders need near-perfect code.

Looks like I just added a few ideas - too!
--
73, Joe Cotton, W3TTT

KA9ELP

Record your sending, then listen to your own fist to create easy to read cw.
Dave Kap-ELP

On Nov 10, 2019, at 8:02 PM, Joseph B Cotton <cottonj@...> wrote:

mention something that you received in the other station's last transmission, with an FB (fine

KD5ALD

I run crystal controlled rigs
The tuning around works
Just like the old days :)

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:26 PM KA9ELP <Dqualken1965@...> wrote:
Record your sending, then listen to your own fist to create easy to read cw.
Dave Kap-ELP
> On Nov 10, 2019, at 8:02 PM, Joseph B Cotton <cottonj@...> wrote:
>
> mention something that you received in the other station's last transmission, with an FB (fine

Gwen Patton

In CW Academy, one of the instructors shared a document on ham radio operating ethics. It's more up to date than the "novice accent" article -- which was also shared -- and is probably far more accurate as well. Most of the content wasn't so much about ethics as sensible procedures, with emphasis on the "sensible" part. If something was described, it usually had a reason. I like it a lot, but still don't consider it engraved in titanium. There are multiple versions for the different regions, in PDF and Powerpoint format. I think it's worth a look.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

James Shaver

My goodness the whole “not ham radio” nonsense gets old.

On Nov 10, 2019, at 8:39 AM, n4mj via Groups.Io <n4mj@...> wrote:

John, VE3IPS, I agree - FT8 is NOT ham radio...  Can see that it might be useful for "coordinated" propagation studies by designated researchers/organizations but it is NOT ham radio.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Sunday, November 10, 2019, 07:31:59 AM CST, John <ve3ips@...> wrote:

Thanks Doc for this article as I think FT8 isnt ham radio
John ve3ips
--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life
All content is personal and confidential

Ed - ad7gr

Agreed.   It can be discouraging and give the impression of elitism.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
--
Joh173

My goodness the whole “not ham radio” nonsense gets old.

Larry

Many TNX DOC

Classic  info.

Enjoy everyone.