Topics

hill topper 30 not working

KM6KJE

I put together a hill topper 30 as I have put together a few of them on startup with a jumper on CAL all I get is a hum no sidetone it transmits but the signal is a hum no sidetone does anyone have ideas why
thanks, terry

Dale Holloway, K4EQ

That's interesting, Terry, because I just finished a Hilltopper 20 and have the same hum (more like a buzzing sound). I took a quick look at the board for any bad solder joints then set it aside as I had some other things to do. I probably won't get back to it until next week, but if I find the issue I'll let you know.
--

Dale, K4EQ
www.k4eq.net

Rick Lloyd

Dale, Terry,

I assembled a Hilltopper 20 a couple months ago and had what sounds like the same problem.

Are the functions working in your rigs? Like sidetone, Keyer speed?

THe problem with mine was the A/V chip. 4SQRP ordered new chips and there was a programming problem with the new chips. (They came without the autoloader on them and the program didn't take properly)

Anything controlled by the chip was very slow. Thus the sidetone sounded like hum, the keyer was slow.

Shoot an email to Jim Pruitt at Jpruitt67@...  he is the kitter and has all the answers on this.

73

Rick
AA4W

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:54:28 AM PST, Rick Lloyd <aa4wradio@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick,

Thanks for the input. Those are the same issues I have. Jim was kind enough to contact me about this after he read my post. Looks like I'll be up and running before long. Can't get better service than that.

Dale, K4EQ

KM6KJE

everything works so far Jim replaced the ic av and I tested it with the jumper in at startup and I get a sidetone and on transmission, the light turns on with a 50-ohm load that I made that's about all I have tested have not adjusted the frequency yet Jim did a nice job. Thanks, terry KM6KJE