Hotel antenna

Ron Eike

I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Ron . . .

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Robert

Hotels are always difficult, when I was working I traveled quite a bit and I tried everything I could think of, hotels have so many noise sources TV's, LED lights, Compact fluorescent lights, etc that it is nearly impossible.  When I stayed for a week at a time in the same hotel I would use 300 ohm flat lead and staple it to wall just below the ceiling around the perimeter of the space , the staples leave non detectable holes upon removal. I would then short each end of the twin lead at a convenient spot and feed it as a loop with an Elecraft BL-2 balun and a tuner. I would take the feed line down during the day so as not to concern the cleaning crew, they apparently don't worry about then ceiling much:). A small mag loop can work as well and has the benefit of being very directional which can help to null out some of the noise, but I have to be honest I spent a lot more time listening then transmitting. My most successful antenna when traveling was a collapsible 17 ft vertical I would attach to the work truck, using the truck as a counterpoise then operate from the hotel parking lot.

72's

Bert

N0YJ

On 5/25/22 08:22, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

William Franklin

Many years ago I used a home made slinky antenna strung across the bedroom of my second floor apartment in Ok City, and with a Heath HW-7 had a useable operation.  Granted, no dx but I was on the air.  Still have that antenna!!

73, Bill, K5WB

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

cornhusker

A magnetic loop does work as well and let's you peak the desired signal and null out noise.
de K0NEB

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM, William Franklin
<wfrank5wb39@...> wrote:
Many years ago I used a home made slinky antenna strung across the bedroom of my second floor apartment in Ok City, and with a Heath HW-7 had a useable operation.  Granted, no dx but I was on the air.  Still have that antenna!!

73, Bill, K5WB

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Bob Parr

Good luck finding a metal slinky anymore!  But if you know where, let us know.

Bob
KG5GTE

Many years ago I used a home made slinky antenna strung across the bedroom of my second floor apartment in Ok City, and with a Heath HW-7 had a useable operation.  Granted, no dx but I was on the air.  Still have that antenna!!

73, Bill, K5WB

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Tommy Gober

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral ethical issue.
Screwdrivers are not immoral. Their use might be unethical, but not immoral. haha

That said, yes, many hotels have their windows "secured" to prevent yahoos from throwing stuff out the window on people below. Other hotels have windows that just barely crack open - enough for a little air to enter. Those that do crack open just a little bit still have a window screen in place.
I have been known on work trips, when I take my radio along, to drop in a Dollar Tree to pick up a cheap-o "disposable" screwdriver, hex key set, or whatever is needed. (I carry on so bringing tools isn't worth it) Just be sure to put it back the way you found it before you leave. It could be a local ordinance. I use an EFHW antenna because it packs so small. (That and my MTR-3B setup packs up smaller than my toiletries bag) [I leave the tool for housekeeping or maintenance]
I usually put a weight on the end of the antenna wire, drop it down to ground level then walk outside, locate the wire and pitch it into a bush, tree, or even the swimming pool safety hook --- just be sure it's not going to be in anyone's way, and should any one actually notice it, aren't going to go grab and pull on it. I've never had an issue.

For properties where there's a window screen, the smallest nick near the edge is enough to fish my wire through the screen and get it down to ground level. From there it's a matter of tossing it into a bush, tree, or whatever. (Sorry to the Hampton Inn in Danville, VA.)

If that back-and-forth is too much or if you're saying on a high floor more than 10-20m high, a mag loop might work. I suppose a manually-tuned compromise vertical with a coil like the SuperAntenna MP1 could work - but that sort of antenna is usually too large to setup in a room, much less a window sill. Then, of course, you have the issue of the treatment on the windows which I believe is metallic and probably not good for your radiation pattern.

What's more, as N0YJ points out, the hotel is usually rife with noise so it's often not worth the trouble. I don't take my radio with me much these days because of that. Every cheap charger emits RFI, all the devices the hotel provides are using cheap power supplies, the window A/C unit is right there, and on and on and on. You're better off going for a stroll to a nearby park and trying your luck there.

N5DUX

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 9:05 AM Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...> wrote:
Ron . . .

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Tommy Gober

Oh --- that's easy. Target has them. Most any day of the week.
They even have the Slinky Jr for $1 from time to time. I like to stock up on those when I can.
Even Walmart has the Slinky. Heck, even Walgreens and CVS have them.
But even if you don't live near a store, Amazon has the metal Slinky.

If you can't find a metal Slinky, you aren't looking.

Sure, there was a time ~20years ago when plastic Slinkys were all the rage, but those grew brittle and broke. It's somewhat harder to find a true Slinky-brand Slinky that isn't metal.

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim N9PUZ

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:
Good luck finding a metal slinky anymore!  But if you know where, let us know.

Bob
KG5GTE

I have a supply of metal slinkys still new in the box. Contact me OFF LIST if interested. I'll need to weigh one to figure out shipping.

Tim N9PUZ

Jim - K0RGI

Cracker Barrel sells them in the toy section of their restaurant store. Or at least they did the last time I looked, within the past year.

72, Jim - K0RGI

Rich Kreiser

Kent, et. a.l

About five years ago, when I last attended Ozarkcon, part of the registration material contained instructions for building a loop antenna for use in a hootel room. All that was needed was 40 feet (I think that’s correct) of insulated 20 AGW, a PL259 plug, and a 50 Ohm 5 watt resistor. One lead of the resistor was connected to the center of the PL259. The other lead was attached to on end of the wire. The other end of the wire was connected to the ground shield of the PL259. The idea was to hang the antenna near the ceiling of the hotel room by securing it with painters tape or another fastener that wouldn’t damage the wall. I built one but never had occasion to use it.

72 Rich N0JBF

On 5/25/2022 9:05 AM, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV wrote:
Ron . . .

You first need to determine if your hotel windows can be opened.

Holiday Inn Fairborn's were screwed shut.

At that point a screwdriver becomes a moral issue.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 8:22 AM, Ron Eike wrote:
I have just returned from Dayton where I attended the Four Days in May events, but a medical problem prevented me from attending the Hamvention. I would have been a great time to operate from my 5th floor room, but I only had an efhw antenna. Can anybody suggest an hf antenna for a hotel window?

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Hi Rich ...

That wasn't' a true loop antenna per se, but rather a dummy load "antenna" designed to allow attendees to participate in Ozarkcon's annual Dummy Load QSO Party.  Too many guys were bringing dummy loads that weren't leaky enough to be heard throughout the hotel, so somebody came up with this design.

Since Stone Castle Hotel's windows can be slid open a few inches, I found it easier to throw a hank of wire out, crank the KX3's power down to the milliwatt level, and let the ATU handle the match.  Easier, quicker, simpler, no assembly required, and usually worked a couple of stations outside Missouri in the process.

This year I worked the alarm clock in the room underneath me.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 5/25/2022 10:00 AM, Rich Kreiser via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Jess Gypin

I’ve tried a LOT of different portable antennas. Loops, mag loops, verticals, Super Antennas, Buddi Pole (love that antenna), and so on.
There was an antenna that came out called the St Louis vertical. I modified the original to put a coil on the bottom over foam pipe insulation on a 18 ft fishing pole. Radials cut for 20, 30, and 40 meters using 4 strand bell wire in the right lengths. Or twin lead.
That has been my go to antenna for years. Move the wander lead on the coil for best match and go to town. Worked LOTS of QRP DX. And I didn’t “design” the coil. Just wrapped as much wire as I could on the bottom 2 foot section with about 1 inch spacing. Then a jumper with two alligator clips and your ready to work the world.
Room to stand it up and room for the radials. Probably not a whole lot different that a Buddistick other than 16-20 feet tall depending on the fishing pole.

Jess AE0CW

On May 25, 2022, at 12:48 PM, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...> wrote:

[...]

And as an additional note, no coil involved for 20 meters. Just a 16 foot wire running up the pole for a 1/4 wave on 20.

On May 25, 2022, at 1:18 PM, Jess Gypin via groups.io <ontarget1911@...> wrote:

[...]

And works well on 80 meters too

On May 25, 2022, at 1:21 PM, Jess Gypin via groups.io <ontarget1911@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Sevart

Walmart currently has metal slinkys, or at least they did a couple months ago.  My son bought one to play with and I seriousky considered buying a couple to use as an antenna.  I think they were something like $7 apiece.

On Wed, May 25, 2022, 10:33 Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:
[...]

g gusto

If the window opens a bit try hanging your efhw from a collapsible fishing pole. Wmart has a 13ft Black Widow for$20. The thinnest section is a joke so it's more like 9-10 ft for all but the lightest gauge wire. Get one without the extra eyelits, just one on the tip. Gus

g gusto

The first 2022 issue of the qrparci quarterly newsletter has a good article on building a slinkytenna qrparci dot org, I think. W5GUS

On Wed, May 25, 2022, 4:31 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Fletcher

Check Amazon for “metal slinky.” Quite a few are advertised.
72,
Mike KL7IXI

Paul 5B8BA

Hi

Check out G4FON's 'Portable Loop Antenna at http://g4fon.net/MagLoop.php - very little to make, easily transportable.

As he said, "Described here is a simple multi-band magnetic loop antenna designed for 20, 30 and 40 metres. For its size, the performance of the antenna always astounds me, although it is never going to replace a Yagi!"

Paul, 5b8ba