Topics

How do you test a toroid -

Donald Kelly

I can't argue with the expense. I built my homebrew LC meter because it was only a few bucks, simple and exceeded my required accuracy.

Good luck and have fun with your project, Steve.

72 K5UOS

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Roberts <steverob@...> wrote:

Hi Don,

Well I can't see spending $150 for an LC meter although it would be nice to have one. I'm not really a electronic tech by any means so it's really hard to justify the expense. And from a practical point of view, building one would take me forever but it certainly looks like a worthy project. In the end, I'm sure I'll just fire it up and see what happens which is my normal method of testing ;-)

73
Steve

On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:19 PM, Donald Kelly wrote:

Hi Steve,

I assume you know the ultimate inductance of the coil you are winding. A handy tool to have is a L/C meter.
Not all toroids are alike and it is always a good idea to measure. My guess is most of the guys have one of these.

http://aade.com/lcmeter.htm

This meter evolved from a homebrew project by Bill Carver, W7AAZ. A digital readout was added later for easier use. The original project is classic in its simplicity.
It is also included in "Experimental Methods in RF Design" in the test gear chapter.

http://www.qsl.net/wm5z/cq199301b.pdf

My version is used all the time. You can see the ugly style board is very simple. The trick is in the calibration steps and having a precision calibrating capacitor.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?238952-A-Simple-Homebrew-L-and-C-Tester

Test gear is fun to build and a great way to get started in scratch projects.

Don K5UOS

The transforming toroids are pretty tricky to wind. Is there any way to test them to find out if you've done it correctly?

73
Steve

w1sfr <steverob@...>

I see a lot of LC meters on ebay. Do you think one of these might do the trick or are they too cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-C-F-5pF-1uF-0-05uH-500H-Inductance-Capacitance-High-Precision-LC-Meter-Clip-/170932517462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&;hash=item27cc5f3a56

73 Steve

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <DKELLY42@...> wrote:

[...]

Charlie Vest

I have one of these on my quick test bench and it compares very favorably to my high dollar test bench . It is quick and easy to use and accurate enough for the home builder .

Charlie , W5COV

---- w1sfr <steverob@shoreham.net> wrote:

[...]

Todd K7TFC

I'll add my endorsement as well. The Chinese modules--tidy little pcbs with LCD readout--are excellent. I have one for LC and one to test and characterize transistors and other semiconductors. I'm very pleased with each. The assumption that Chinese companies make junk is seriously mistaken--in this case and in all my other Chinese experiences.

Todd / K7TFC

---- w1sfr <steverob@...> wrote:
> I see a lot of LC meters on ebay. Do you think one of these might do the trick or are they too cheap.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-C-F-5pF-1uF-0-05uH-500H-Inductance-Capacitance-High-Precision-LC-Meter-Clip-/170932517462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cc5f3a56
>
> 73 Steve
>
> --- In 4sqrp@..., "Donald" wrote:
> >
> > I can't argue with the expense. I built my homebrew LC meter because it was only a few bucks, simple and exceeded my required accuracy.
> >
> > Good luck and have fun with your project, Steve.
> >
> > 72 K5UOS
> >

> > --- In 4sqrp@..., Stephen Roberts wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Don,
> > >
> > > Well I can't see spending $150 for an LC meter although it would be nice to have one. I'm not really a electronic tech by any means so it's really hard to justify the expense. And from a practical point of view, building one would take me forever but it certainly looks like a worthy project. In the end, I'm sure I'll just fire it up and see what happens which is my normal method of testing ;-)
> > >
> > > 73
> > > Steve

John <n9rlojrh@...>

Can you test a toroid with an MFJ-259B analyzer? I don't know, I'm mostly just a big dumb fat guy, but it checks inductance and capacitance. John N9RLO

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "Todd F. Carney / K7TFC" <k7tfc@...> wrote:

I'll add my endorsement as well. The Chinese modules--tidy little pcbs with
LCD readout--are excellent. I have one for LC and one to test and
characterize transistors and other semiconductors. I'm very pleased with
each. The assumption that Chinese companies make junk is seriously
mistaken--in this case and in all my other Chinese experiences.

Todd / K7TFC

**

---- w1sfr <steverob@...> wrote:
[...]

George H. Gates

My experience. Took over a month to com. Arrived not working .Had to return at my cost to get a replacement. Took a month for them to receive it back., Then another month to get the new one to me. At least this one lights up. But does not work. Zero out and put cap in the unit.and just get a bunch of blinking numbers. There are people selling them. If you get the right one perhaps it works!  72 George/W2BPI

--- In 4sqrp@..., "Donald" wrote:

> I can't argue with the expense. I built my homebrew LC meter because it was only a few bucks, simple and exceeded my required accuracy.
>
> Good luck and have fun with your project, Steve.
>
> 72 K5UOS
>

> --- In 4sqrp@..., Stephen Roberts wrote:
> >
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > Well I can't see spending $150 for an LC meter although it would be nice to have one. I'm not really a electronic tech by any means so it's really hard to justify the expense. And from a practical point of view, building one would take me forever but it certainly looks like a worthy project. In the end, I'm sure I'll just fire it up and see what happens which is my normal method of testing ;-)
> >
> > 73
> > Steve
> >

> > On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:19 PM, Donald Kelly wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Steve,
> > >
> > > I assume you know the ultimate inductance of the coil you are winding. A handy tool to have is a L/C meter.
> > > Not all toroids are alike and it is always a good idea to measure. My guess is most of the guys have one of these.
> > >
> > > http://aade.com/lcmeter.htm
> > >
> > > This meter evolved from a homebrew project by Bill Carver, W7AAZ. A digital readout was added later for easier use. The original project is classic in its simplicity.
> > > It is also included in "Experimental Methods in RF Design" in the test gear chapter.
> > >
> > > http://www.qsl.net/wm5z/cq199301b.pdf
> > >

> > > My version is used all the time. You can see the ugly style board is very simple. The trick is in the calibration steps and having a precision calibrating capacitor.
> > >
> > > http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?238952-A-Simple-Homebrew-L-and-C-Tester
> > >
> > > Test gear is fun to build and a great way to get started in scratch projects.
> > >
> > > Don K5UOS

flsaas

I picked up one of the ones in your link in your email,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-C-F-5pF-1uF-0-05uH-500H-Inductance-Capacitance-High-Precision-LC-Meter-Clip-/170932517462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&;hash=item27cc5f3a56

It seems to work just fine! not a bad deal for $21, just keep in mind that it runs off of +5v...and not +12..

Fred
WA8PGE