Topics

How much TX Power allowed into a MagicBox T/R Switch?

Hidehiko Komachi - JA9MAT

Hello,

I'd like to use a tube transmitter with an old tube professional receiver.
Well I want to switch T/R smoothly with using my MagicBox. I wonder how much power is allowed. Someone says that the maximum input power is 10W and the other one says 5W. Is there specification?

ja9mat Hidehiko.

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Hide
Here is a link to the manual.
It’s says 10 watts.
I would be more concerned about the keying voltage of the tube type transmitter that may be too high?

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Kortge

On 11/10/2019 2:11 AM, qrper72@... wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to use a tube transmitter with an old tube professional receiver.
Well I want to switch T/R smoothly with using my MagicBox. I wonder how much power is allowed. Someone says that the maximum input power is 10W and the other one says 5W. Is there specification?

ja9mat Hidehiko.

Greetings Hidehiko San,

The MagicBox can handle 10 watts safely, but not a lot more.  I've never tested it above 10 watts, so don't know at what power level the smoke starts to come out of it!  :-)

Have fun with your tube gear.

72/73,

Jim, K8IQY

Hidehiko Komachi - JA9MAT

Thanks Johnny and Jim.

OK 10W is borderline of safety.

I will try with very carefully.

73,ja9mat Hidehiko.

Hidehiko Komachi - JA9MAT

Hi,

I've tested with the 807 single CW Xmtr into a MagicBox(MB).
It's power out is 12W(max) at Vp=350V into a dummy load.
I put the Xmtr into my MB and saw its power out into a dummy load.
The power out is about 8W. The 4W is loss!

Then I put another QRP TX of 4W into MB I got 4W no loss!
Maybe the power loss depends on the input power of the MB.

Hidheiko JA9MAT