Topics

I was cruel to my cricket 40

KC0RFC

Good morning all

It's great to meet you.

I connected the battery backwards. Did I kill it?

Shawn
ai0w

KC0RFC

I should have specified, my victim was a cricket 40.

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 9:01 AM KC0RFC via Groups.Io <icode.iam=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good morning all

It's great to meet you.

I connected the battery backwards. Did I kill it?

Shawn
ai0w

Bobby Drummond

Might have.  I don't see any reverse polarity protection in the schematic online.  I hope that there was a diode added in later models that would have prevented a reverse polarity damage situation.

Those that have a better knowledge of the circuit will be able to give you a better answer.

73 and GL

AK4JA

--
73 de AK4JA

KC0RFC

Thanks Bobby, so silly, I thought I had it right, no idea how I did this. Feeling a little defeated. 😁

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 10:11 AM Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...> wrote:
Might have.  I don't see any reverse polarity protection in the schematic online.  I hope that there was a diode added in later models that would have prevented a reverse polarity damage situation.

Those that have a better knowledge of the circuit will be able to give you a better answer.

73 and GL

AK4JA

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:01 AM KC0RFC <icode.iam@...> wrote:
Good morning all

It's great to meet you.

I connected the battery backwards. Did I kill it?

Shawn
ai0w

--
73 de AK4JA

Bobby Drummond

Even if you zapped it , you'll get if fixed, no doubt.  Hey, I wish I had a nickel for every time I plugged something in backward.

You just proved you're human when you did.  Welcome to the human league ;-)

If I were to make a guess, your audio chip is the thing most likely to have gotten zapped but I could be wrong.

73 de AK4JA

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:52 AM KC0RFC <icode.iam@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the good words, I really appreciate it.

73

Shawn

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 11:37 AM Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...> wrote:

[...]

David Wilcox

Shawn,

It’s a good idea to always have a fuse in every power supply line.  Then if there is a reverse protection scheme built into a rig the fuse will blow first. One time I blew an early Chinese radio (without protection) because the battery I bought at a swap had a RED price tag right next to the negative pole..... lots of smoke.  Now on all batteries I use I mask off a large area by the positive pole and paint it with red paint...... AND have fuses in ALL of my power cords.

On another rig it did have a reverse protection diode and it blew because I didn’t have a fuse in the line.  I was lucky because I caught it right away as the diode was cooking and all I had to do was replace the diode.

Now I have confessed my sins.  I feel better!

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad