Topics

Insulator for Ground Mounted Vertical Antenna


Curt
 

I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing. 

73 Curt WB8YYY


Robert Harrison
 

I had some 1 1/2 inch underground electrical conduit laying around, grey plastic, pounded in to soil, no guy wires on 18 ft verticle, this simple one with loading coil on base.  Setup about 9 months ago, no issues
Robert Kg6tgi 





---- On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:45:45 -0800 Curt via groups.io<wb8yyy@...> wrote ---

I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing. 

73 Curt WB8YYY



John
 

Coke bottle taped to a buried stake, PVC pipe slipped over a fencepost, etc etc etc.....

It's not fussy! :-)
John K5MO


On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Robert Harrison via groups.io <rm.harrison=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had some 1 1/2 inch underground electrical conduit laying around, grey plastic, pounded in to soil, no guy wires on 18 ft verticle, this simple one with loading coil on base.  Setup about 9 months ago, no issues
Robert Kg6tgi 





---- On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:45:45 -0800 Curt via groups.io<wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote ---
I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing. 

73 Curt WB8YYY



Dave Benson
 

Curt-

Max-Gain Systems sells fiberglass tubing in various sizes and lengths.  If you want 'really strong', they carry solid rod as well.   From my experience with PVC, it's somewhat brittle at cold temperatures.  Disclaimer: no commercial interest.

73- Dave, K1SWL


On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:29 PM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
Coke bottle taped to a buried stake, PVC pipe slipped over a fencepost, etc etc etc.....

It's not fussy! :-)
John K5MO

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Robert Harrison via groups.io <rm.harrison=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had some 1 1/2 inch underground electrical conduit laying around, grey plastic, pounded in to soil, no guy wires on 18 ft verticle, this simple one with loading coil on base.  Setup about 9 months ago, no issues
Robert Kg6tgi 





---- On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:45:45 -0800 Curt via groups.io<wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote ---
I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing. 

73 Curt WB8YYY



Johnny AC0BQ
 

Ge Guys 
I agree with Dave, 
PVC is very brittle when it's cold out side. 
Also the White PVC will get brittle in the sun. 
The Grey PVS for Electrical work is the best for out doors. 
72
Johnny AC0BQ 

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:16 PM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
Curt-

Max-Gain Systems sells fiberglass tubing in various sizes and lengths.  If you want 'really strong', they carry solid rod as well.   From my experience with PVC, it's somewhat brittle at cold temperatures.  Disclaimer: no commercial interest.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:29 PM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
Coke bottle taped to a buried stake, PVC pipe slipped over a fencepost, etc etc etc.....

It's not fussy! :-)
John K5MO

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Robert Harrison via groups.io <rm.harrison=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had some 1 1/2 inch underground electrical conduit laying around, grey plastic, pounded in to soil, no guy wires on 18 ft verticle, this simple one with loading coil on base.  Setup about 9 months ago, no issues
Robert Kg6tgi 





---- On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:45:45 -0800 Curt via groups.io<wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote ---
I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing. 

73 Curt WB8YYY



Ed - ad7gr
 

Check out McMaster-Carr.   They have a very large selection of material and any length you might need.
https://www.mcmaster.com/plastic-rods/shape~rod-and-disc/diameter~1-1-4/

73,
Ed - ad7gr


Curt
 

Suggestions appreciated - some of you have heard my 80 or 160m signal on the verticals - the taller one is still QRV.  don't have suitable trees hence these radiators.  these things have elevated loading coils and are top heavy ...

I see I can get about 4 feet of fiberglass rod for $9.30 - enough for several insulators from MGS4U.com  Now I just need to fill my shopping cart to offset the $11.30 shipping - which I think I can do.  I think MFJ charged me a lot more than that when I bought 2 insulators. 

I added on EFHW primarily for 80m SSB - but it wasn't doing 40m so I just shortened it by about 4 feet - so I can be QRV on 40m until the vertical is vertical again -- 

CUL 73 Curt wb8yyy


 

Oh yeah, when it comes to hardware, supplies , etc., if McMaster-Carr doesn't have it, then it must not exist!

EuGene, KA5NLY


On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 8:09:58 PM CST, Ed - ad7gr via groups.io <edko@...> wrote:


Check out McMaster-Carr.   They have a very large selection of material and any length you might need.
https://www.mcmaster.com/plastic-rods/shape~rod-and-disc/diameter~1-1-4/

73,
Ed - ad7gr