Just introducing myself. Just started with QRP and it has put fun back in the hobby! Been a ham since 1967. My call is N5IXA. CW handle is Randy.

OwlCricker - K7ULM

FB Randy.  Against everyone's advice I started with QRP as a new Ham a couple years ago.  It has been great, as I improve my understanding and gear the rewards are amazing.  Weak signals are addicting.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021, 9:21 PM Randall Hunter <randall.hunter@...> wrote:

David Wilcox K8WPE

Randy,

Welcome to a fun and fascinating aspect of the hobby.  It kept me away from wild women and bars for much of my life.  My wife of 48 years is ever grateful.

After I sold my DX 40 back in the 1960s the Heath Company came out with the HW7 series and then TenTec came out with their Argonaut series.  Tried 2 watts and then 5 watts and never looked back.  Had just as much fun.  But I do remember as a Novice tuning the pi network on the DX 40 until the plates on the 6146 glowed thinking that the few extra watts out would make a difference.  They DID in my mind only.  What fun!

Dave K8WPE since 1960 (the glory days of radio for me).

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Sep 24, 2021, at 11:21 PM, Randall Hunter <randall.hunter@...> wrote:

W6BOW

A most excellent (as always) repost by David J. Wilcox (K8WWPE).

Randy (N5IXA),
I have learned so much via my membership with 4SQRP.  A great group of guys and gals!

Don, W6BOW

Welcome to a fun and fascinating aspect of the hobby.  It kept me away from wild women and bars for much of my life.  My wife of 48 years is ever grateful.

After I sold my DX 40 back in the 1960s the Heath Company came out with the HW7 series and then TenTec came out with their Argonaut series.  Tried 2 watts and then 5 watts and never looked back.  Had just as much fun.  But I do remember as a Novice tuning the pi network on the DX 40 until the plates on the 6146 glowed thinking that the few extra watts out would make a difference.  They DID in my mind only.  What fun!

Dave K8WPE since 1960 (the glory days of radio for me).

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Sep 24, 2021, at 11:21 PM, Randall Hunter <randall.hunter@...> wrote:

Thanks to all!  What is the best way to call cq for 4SQRP?  Anything shorter?

Welcome to a fun and fascinating aspect of the hobby.  It kept me away from wild women and bars for much of my life.  My wife of 48 years is ever grateful.

After I sold my DX 40 back in the 1960s the Heath Company came out with the HW7 series and then TenTec came out with their Argonaut series.  Tried 2 watts and then 5 watts and never looked back.  Had just as much fun.  But I do remember as a Novice tuning the pi network on the DX 40 until the plates on the 6146 glowed thinking that the few extra watts out would make a difference.  They DID in my mind only.  What fun!

Dave K8WPE since 1960 (the glory days of radio for me).

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Sep 24, 2021, at 11:21 PM, Randall Hunter <randall.hunter@...> wrote:

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Randy
Welcome to the group.
Well, 4sqrp or 4s.
I use 4 sqrp on the Nets.
I send it as one word.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Thanks,  Johnny. I wondered about 4s. I shall try that one for casual and 4SQRP for nets or more formal occasions. How many bayou jumpers do we have out there?  Would love to see how many I can reach.
Randy N5IXA

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Randy
I’m not sure on the count of Bayou jumpers, several hundred have been sold.
We have a bayou jumper sub group you can join to get hold of them direct.

Look on the Bayoj jumper page.
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

W5ESE

You can consider just calling a regular 'CQ' around the 4S hangout frequency 7122 KHz, +/-.
Probably no need to augment it with any qualifiers.
73
Scott W5ESE

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Randy,

Be sure to check out the 4SQRP On the Air Activities page:

http://www.4sqrp.com/4sqrpOnTheAir.php

Nets tomorrow and every Wednesday, and the Second Sunday Sprint!

--
Jeff N0̷MII
4SQRP# 702

Randy,

Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe of Ham Radio which is us QRP'ers that the QRO guys thing are crazy...maybe we are, but ain't it fun!!  Let's just note that I don't suffer from insanity, but rather I enjoy every minute of it!

I got my novice license as KA5NLY 39 years ago and hit the ether with a Heathkit HW-8 on 12 March 1982.   I still have that HW-8, now augmented by 3 more HW-8s, A HW-7, a HW-9 (with WARC Bands), 509 & 515 Argonauts and dozens of small rigs (G1M, QCX,Bayou Jumper, Crickets, Pixies, Frog sounds, and various, assorted, & sundry little transceivers by MFJ, Ten-Tek, etc.).  So, when I get a wild hair and want to run high power,, especially on SSB, I switch on an Argonaut and burn up the airwaves with 5 screaming watts!

I suppose an explanation is due regarding my having so many rigs...many of us (but not all QRPers) become afflicted with a compulsion to grab every QRP rig that we run across and end up with a menagerie of flea power rigs...we become QRP rig hoarders.  Like I said before, "Ain't it fun!"

EuGene, KA5NLY

No explanation necessary, Eugene. I suffer the same affliction!  Been a ham for the best part of the last 54 years. Mostly on cw. Need a new challenge on a budget. Hi hi.
Randy N5IXA