Keys and license

Ron Layton

First off I would like to thank everyone for their positive response to my tech license question. I'm signing up for class's on Zoom and I downloaded a study guide. After looking at the questions I think it will be very easy for me to pass the exam. I decided on a tech license because I want to test the water so to say. I understand the limits of working QRP on 10, 15 40 and 80 meters. I will be 70 soon and I'm sad I haven't pursued a license sooner but the expense of equipment and all was a drawback. I'm on a very limited income, but the price of getting set up with a handheld and a QRP rig is now realistic and besides I like the portability. As for a key, is there a sharp learning curve between using a straight key and paddles? I never used anything but a J37. My CO let me keep mine when I left the service but some jerk swiped it. I see a lot of people using the paddles and I'm curious as to how easy it is to transition.
73
Ron

Tim N9PUZ

I don't think there will be a big difference between learning with a straight key vs. paddles. I believe for most people, the receiving part presents the bigger challenge.

Best of luck to you!

Tim N9PUZ

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 2:27 PM Ron Layton via groups.io <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

KG8DA

Ron, I haven't used paddles for decades but I remember that I picked it up pretty easily. Others with far more experience will surely respond soon.

Curt

Ron

Get to know some local hams, someone might have a surplus key or paddle.

Sending with a key may be prehistoric, but cool. A bunch of us use keys in a group called skcc. I hope a nearby ham can sell you a key very cheaply.

With a good dipole or similar antenna QRP radiates nice enough to make many cw contacts.

QRP rigs can come wired to use a key or a paddle. A circuit called an electronic keyer is needed to work with a paddle.

Do pursue getting licensed. A little money now to get the license, find a Laurel VEC testing site to save some expense. I am hopeful you can get set up with some qrp gear.

Curt

W6BOW

Ron,

The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) publishes a fine mag monthly called "QST".

(FYI "QST" this year reviewed a kit build by our very own 4SQRP group!)

In every "QST" is listed a "Convention and Hamfest Calendar".
Ron, you are most likely located within reasonable deriving distance of at least one Convention/Hamfest this year.
Many Conventions/Fests feature a "swap meet/flea market" where hams sell/buy a wide variety of ham radio related items including keyers.

DON
W6BOW

Convention and Hamfest ARRL.jpg

Get to know some local hams, someone might have a surplus key or paddle.

Sending with a key may be prehistoric, but cool. A bunch of us use keys in a group called skcc. I hope a nearby ham can sell you a key very cheaply.

With a good dipole or similar antenna QRP radiates nice enough to make many cw contacts.

QRP rigs can come wired to use a key or a paddle. A circuit called an electronic keyer is needed to work with a paddle.

Do pursue getting licensed. A little money now to get the license, find a Laurel VEC testing site to save some expense. I am hopeful you can get set up with some qrp gear.

Curt

 I have a few keys.. (j38 and paddle) I am thinking of selling.. let me get a picture or two later today..

Bill Lamm

these are the keys I am letting go of as I down size for a move.. @Ron Layton gets first choice.. the bencher is a nockoff.. the bencher with out guts is a project if it doesn't sell.. one J38 is original or partialy original.. j37 has a Crack in base but will hold together on a base...  let me know if there is interest..

Ron Layton

Hi Bill I'm interested in 1st row right or second row left. Can you email me?
73 and thanks
Ron