Kid's Telegraph Sounder Kit


AG1P Ron
 

Earlier today I was reminiscing with a brother about past Christmas presents.  In talking with him, I remembered getting a wood telegraph sounder kit in the late 1950s when I was in 7th or 8th grade.  Besides listening to my dad’s transoceanic at night, it was one of the few things that ended up getting me interested in the hobby.  I looked around on the internet but couldn’t find one.

 

Does anyone on the reflector remember this kit and if so, who sold it?

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Thomas Martin
 

Ron
I remember the sets and may have had one. You connected them together with a pair of wires and could communicate back and forth. 
I checked eBay under Kids telegraph sets and came up with a bunch of them. It was a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the memories so to speak.


John - KK4ITX
 

Ron,

Here’s a link to Building one, looks like it might be fun with the grandkids, good way to teach using tools and much more.  All 17 of mine are beyond that age now.


Today’s version is the Cricket-Key.  I built one to go with my 3 Crickets.

72,

John 
KK4ITX 

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Nov 26, 2021, at 06:00, Thomas Martin <tem494@...> wrote:

Ron
I remember the sets and may have had one. You connected them together with a pair of wires and could communicate back and forth. 
I checked eBay under Kids telegraph sets and came up with a bunch of them. It was a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the memories so to speak.

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603


w9ran
 

On 11/26/2021 5:00 AM, Thomas Martin wrote:
It was a trip down memory lane.
Everyone needs to take those trips now and again, and here's a great way to do it:   https://christmas.musetechnical.com/

Depending on your age you should be able to find a "wishbook" you remember and the pages are searchable if you're impatient. Otherwise you can just head for the toy section and flip through page by page just like we did in the old days.    When you get to the science kits, the name "Remco" will appear frequently and I wore out more than one of them.   While they were always a bit more "sizzle" than "steak" they were the introduction for many of us to the world of crystal radios and morse code (even if sent from a blinker or buzzer!).

73, Bob W9RAN


Thomas Martin
 

Bob
Thanks for the link I even found my Roy Rogers camera which I still have.
Boy what a real trip down memory lane thanks again 
tom

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM w9ran <ranickels@...> wrote:
On 11/26/2021 5:00 AM, Thomas Martin wrote:
> It was a trip down memory lane.

Everyone needs to take those trips now and again, and here's a great way
to do it:   https://christmas.musetechnical.com/

Depending on your age you should be able to find a "wishbook" you
remember and the pages are searchable if you're impatient. Otherwise you
can just head for the toy section and flip through page by page just
like we did in the old days.    When you get to the science kits, the
name "Remco" will appear frequently and I wore out more than one of
them.   While they were always a bit more "sizzle" than "steak" they
were the introduction for many of us to the world of crystal radios and
morse code (even if sent from a blinker or buzzer!).

73, Bob W9RAN







AG1P Ron
 

Thanks Thomas,

 

The kit that I remember was a lot like the one in John-KK4ITX's email however I remember it being in shape of a cube - just a framework. Think it needed a D battery. Came with a cheap wood key.  It came in pieces and you had to put it together. Probably a blessing - I remember using it for days, drove both parent crazy with the clacks from wood hitting wood.

 

Isn’t it great having the memories of Christmas presents that taught us something while having fun?

 

Happy Holidays

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Martin
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2021 3:01 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Kid's Telegraph Sounder Kit

 

Ron
I remember the sets and may have had one. You connected them together with a pair of wires and could communicate back and forth. 
I checked eBay under Kids telegraph sets and came up with a bunch of them. It was a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the memories so to speak.


David Wilcox K8WPE
 

If I remember correctly the Boy Scouts had a kit for sale that was two sender/receiver units connected together with a pair of wires……

Dave K8WPE since 1960

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Nov 26, 2021, at 1:06 PM, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:



Thanks Thomas,

 

The kit that I remember was a lot like the one in John-KK4ITX's email however I remember it being in shape of a cube - just a framework. Think it needed a D battery. Came with a cheap wood key.  It came in pieces and you had to put it together. Probably a blessing - I remember using it for days, drove both parent crazy with the clacks from wood hitting wood.

 

Isn’t it great having the memories of Christmas presents that taught us something while having fun?

 

Happy Holidays

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Martin
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2021 3:01 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Kid's Telegraph Sounder Kit

 

Ron
I remember the sets and may have had one. You connected them together with a pair of wires and could communicate back and forth. 
I checked eBay under Kids telegraph sets and came up with a bunch of them. It was a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the memories so to speak.


Robert West
 

I have a scout set circ. 1960. It is plastic rather than wood. You have sounder mode, buzzer mode and and flashlight bulb mode. Made to work with keys wired to each other up to about 50 ft apart. Still works on d cells. Though funky, the keys work well enough that they could be used on the air. Just take the battery out and hook the rig to the clips. Big dis advantage is that the key contact gap is rather wide and non- adjustable


On Nov 27, 2021, at 6:13 AM, David Wilcox K8WPE via groups.io <Djwilcox01@...> wrote:

If I remember correctly the Boy Scouts had a kit for sale that was two sender/receiver units connected together with a pair of wires……

Dave K8WPE since 1960

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Nov 26, 2021, at 1:06 PM, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:



Thanks Thomas,

 

The kit that I remember was a lot like the one in John-KK4ITX's email however I remember it being in shape of a cube - just a framework. Think it needed a D battery. Came with a cheap wood key.  It came in pieces and you had to put it together. Probably a blessing - I remember using it for days, drove both parent crazy with the clacks from wood hitting wood.

 

Isn’t it great having the memories of Christmas presents that taught us something while having fun?

 

Happy Holidays

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Martin
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2021 3:01 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Kid's Telegraph Sounder Kit

 

Ron
I remember the sets and may have had one. You connected them together with a pair of wires and could communicate back and forth. 
I checked eBay under Kids telegraph sets and came up with a bunch of them. It was a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the memories so to speak.


PhilKE3FL
 

This does not need a kit only two keys a battery, wire, and two buzzers and/or LED lights - very simply to make at most a few resistors for the LED lights if you're using a 12V battery (or wall wart)  Or nothing else if you can find 3V buzzers. Oh yes, for a 3V system you'll need two, 2-AA battery holders. Then of course a platform for the key, battery holder, and battery.

- We could make a buzzer using a 555 timer, a few caps & resistors, and a small speaker instead of buying one. It all depends on how simple, few parts, you want to make it.

From here you can get as complex as you want. Or instance instead of wire between the two CW platforms you could use a single fiber optic cable and two splitters to get light coming in to go one way and for light going out to get into the fiber.

Or, oh-man perhaps a very simple CW transmitter/receiver? This would need a kit and make it µQRP? Anyone game to design this one?
--
73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras
http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl