Kit for my needs?

Randon Loeb

Hi all,

I was referred here by a post on qrz.com.  Generally I am interesting in making, but more importantly learning and understanding from a simple qrp cw kit.
I have a decent hobbyist's grasp of dc electronics, have a bunch of instruments, and have been taking an online circuit analysis.
Want to build and use a radio where I can say I have a fair idea of what every single component does and why it has the value it has.
Seems like there aren't so many learn-and-build kits anymore, just soldering-practice kits essentially.
Well I was thinking that if there's some kits with a vibrant community around them where I can ask endless stupid questions as I go, maybe that would be just as good as an in-depth "theory of operation" guide, etc.

Have I come to the right place? If so, any recommendations?  If it matters, I mostly operate on 20 and 40 but those are secondary considerations.

tnx de KN4YRM Randy

Mark Sharef

You might want to start with a Cricket or a NS 4OM transmitter..Both kits were solid by 4sqrp so you have many people who can help you. User groups are a great source of information. WQ8S/Mark

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark-
I see the Cricket 40 on the site, what's "NS"? thanks, Randy/KN4YRM

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Randy
A real simple confidence builder would be the muriana AM radio.
It’s cute and it works!
73
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Paul AI4EE

Go to qrp-labs.com

Check out one of their manuals. They all have a section explaining how the radio works.

On 11/15/2021 11:02 AM, Randon Loeb wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul, just looked and indeed the manual there is pretty educational. My gut is telling me however to go simpler for a first build, especially as I want to do a lot of probing and prodding and learning along the way.
(I dare say it's less important if the thing actually works in the end, so long as I learn a lot along the way, if that makes sense)

Jeff, K9JP

Randy,

"NS" Nothing Simpler! If no one else has answered.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:
Mark-
I see the Cricket 40 on the site, what's "NS"? thanks, Randy/KN4YRM

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

Randon Loeb

Thanks, but I still don't see it....

wa2cky

Randy, a really good source for 'learning' is to start with books and, more specifically, the ARRL handbook.  Either the current one or simply any one of the older editions. Lots of us have older editions and would love to kick one way your way for a buck or two - shipping cost would be pretty nominal since they would certainly qualify as a book. If that makes sense, just drop a line here (do provide your zip code so we can figure out how much shipping would run) and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

[...]

Bob-
Thanks but I do have several editions of the manual. I'll thumb through it again.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 1:22 PM Bob Groh <bob.groh@...> wrote:
[...]

John Lonigro

Randy:
The NS-40 is a retired kit; i.e., no longer available.  Scroll down to near the bottom of the 4SQRP kits section and you'll see a bunch of retired kits.  The NS-40 is about the 11th from the bottom.  David Cripe, NM0S, sells some of the retired Four States kits from his website, but I have no idea if the NS-40 is one of them.  Regardless, you can find all the documentation for that kit in the retired kits section I just referred to and maybe reading through that will help you learn about it.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 11/15/21 11:10 AM, Randon Loeb wrote:
Thanks, but I still don't see it....

Randon Loeb

I've gone ahead and ordered the 40m cricket (and a couple other kits to keep me busy for years....) so y'all can expect me to start being a nuisance soon, lol.
Randy KN4YRM

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:37 PM John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:
Randy:
The NS-40 is a retired kit; i.e., no longer available.  Scroll down to near the bottom of the 4SQRP kits section and you'll see a bunch of retired kits.  The NS-40 is about the 11th from the bottom.  David Cripe, NM0S, sells some of the retired Four States kits from his website, but I have no idea if the NS-40 is one of them.  Regardless, you can find all the documentation for that kit in the retired kits section I just referred to and maybe reading through that will help you learn about it.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 11/15/21 11:10 AM, Randon Loeb wrote:
Thanks, but I still don't see it....

Lee

Randy,

If you can find a copy of "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" by Heyward and DeMaw (long out of print), grab it (you might see one at a hamfest). That single book has so much useful information that you can immediately use to see how the different subcircuits within a project work.

Lee KX4TT

On Monday, 15 November 2021, 02:41:32 pm GMT-5, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

Jeff, K9JP

Hello Lee and others,

I just googled and found a free .pdf of Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur by Hayward and DeMaw. It is a 258 page .pdf file.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Lee via groups.io <kx4tt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Randy,

If you can find a copy of "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" by Heyward and DeMaw (long out of print), grab it (you might see one at a hamfest). That single book has so much useful information that you can immediately use to see how the different subcircuits within a project work.

Lee KX4TT

On Monday, 15 November 2021, 02:41:32 pm GMT-5, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

Lee

I intentionally didn't note that due to potential copyright issues......................

Lee KX4TT

On Monday, 15 November 2021, 03:06:07 pm GMT-5, Jeff, K9JP <dek9jp@...> wrote:

Hello Lee and others,

I just googled and found a free .pdf of Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur by Hayward and DeMaw. It is a 258 page .pdf file.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Lee via groups.io <kx4tt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Randy,

If you can find a copy of "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" by Heyward and DeMaw (long out of print), grab it (you might see one at a hamfest). That single book has so much useful information that you can immediately use to see how the different subcircuits within a project work.

Lee KX4TT

On Monday, 15 November 2021, 02:41:32 pm GMT-5, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

Randon Loeb

Yes, I was able to find a copy of that book thanks.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Lee via groups.io <kx4tt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Randy,

If you can find a copy of "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" by Heyward and DeMaw (long out of print), grab it (you might see one at a hamfest). That single book has so much useful information that you can immediately use to see how the different subcircuits within a project work.

Lee KX4TT

On Monday, 15 November 2021, 02:41:32 pm GMT-5, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

Mark Sharef

The NS40 is a transmitter with only 16 parts. The coils are on the circuit board so there's no winding. You have an Oscillator and a final. That's pretty much all. It puts out about 5 watts in class E. If you go down to the bottom of the page where you buy 4SQRP kits you should find it. Mar/WQ8S

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Jeff, K9JP <dek9jp@...> wrote:
Randy,

"NS" Nothing Simpler! If no one else has answered.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:
Mark-
I see the Cricket 40 on the site, what's "NS"? thanks, Randy/KN4YRM

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

Randon Loeb

I was able to find his store. I decided though to go with the cricket 40, and a couple other kits for 20. Probably convenient but the pcb coils seem like cheating (have a fancy lcr meter just waiting to be put to use...  ), lol, so I don't want to do too many kits like that.
73 Randy KN4YRM

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:43 AM Mark Sharef <hamradio.wq8s@...> wrote:
The NS40 is a transmitter with only 16 parts. The coils are on the circuit board so there's no winding. You have an Oscillator and a final. That's pretty much all. It puts out about 5 watts in class E. If you go down to the bottom of the page where you buy 4SQRP kits you should find it. Mar/WQ8S

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Jeff, K9JP <dek9jp@...> wrote:
Randy,

"NS" Nothing Simpler! If no one else has answered.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:
Mark-
I see the Cricket 40 on the site, what's "NS"? thanks, Randy/KN4YRM

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

John Lonigro

That may all be true, but the kit has been retired and therefore unavailable.  So that won't help Randy at all.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 11/16/21 10:43 AM, Mark Sharef wrote:
The NS40 is a transmitter with only 16 parts. The coils are on the circuit board so there's no winding. You have an Oscillator and a final. That's pretty much all. It puts out about 5 watts in class E. If you go down to the bottom of the page where you buy 4SQRP kits you should find it. Mar/WQ8S

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Jeff, K9JP <dek9jp@...> wrote:
Randy,

"NS" Nothing Simpler! If no one else has answered.

72, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:
Mark-
I see the Cricket 40 on the site, what's "NS"? thanks, Randy/KN4YRM

--
Do Something "Nice for Someone Else" today, say Thank YOU.

Lee

The NS-40 is available from the NM0S store, along with the QRPoMeter and the Cricket 80.

https://sites.google.com/nm0s.com/home/qrp-kits-p2

Lee KX4TT