From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don, W9EBK
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2022 2:07 PM
To: 4sqrpio
Subject: [4SQRP] Looking for 80 meter Crickets

I have a request for anyone with an 80 meter cricket and no plans to use it. Our local radio club, svrc.org is gathering equipment for some on-foot ARDF style transmitter hunts. We're looking for built, or super easy to build 80 meter transmitters. I have an 80 meter Cricket. One of the ARRL ARDF committee members worked out an FET keying circuit and says it works well as a direction finding beacon. We need at least 6 more of them. 8 more would be great. Since they are Retired I'm hoping some members either have some they will donate or sell, Cheap. The 80 or 80A will both work. I know Dave has a similar transmitter on his website but shows only 5 left in stock.

What we would really like, if someone is interested in doing some experimenting, is a 1 to 3 watt 80 meter transmitter that plays well into a load of about 8 ohms, since that is the impedance of the 8 foot fishing pole verticals used for ARDF. But until then I would be very happy with some Crickets.

Thanks,

Don, W9EBK

John Kirby

Don w9ebk
I have two 80m crickers lQQking to chirp elsewhere
The (not A) has several QSOs logged a very nice QRPp rig with good audio
the other an 'A' model is unbuilt but several years back donated couple prices parts to a 40m rig
Both offered in donation for your club project
I am good on QRZdotcom
72 73
John
N3AAZ

John Kirby

Should have been a question not a statement

Are you good on QRZ?

N3AAZ

Don, W9EBK

John,
Yes, I'm good in QRZ. I would be happy to send you something to at least cover shipping. I have a few spare parts from one my XYL built and had very low power out. I should be able to get the incomplete one running without too much trouble.
Thanks,
Don, W9EBK

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 7:38 AM John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...> wrote:
Should have been a question not a statement

Are you good on QRZ?

N3AAZ

John Kirby

 Don

I do not recall what parts from the unbuilt kit were use on my scratch 20m Cricket

If for some reason you can not find replacment parts ready available I will pull from  ...

... https://4sqrp.groups.io/g/minimalist-gear/topic/build_log/ ..

...as that project was such a delight but one, fun, es done :>))

Turns out both 80m kits were "notA" model pcbs
Should arrive ur QTH Fri
If you need a tracking number let me know

So glad you ask
They need more TLC than I can provide

72 73
John
N3AAZ

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Don,

I finally bought solder, but am building other projects. Im not a qrz member so ur address is good thru hamcall or qrzcq.com?
I will send my Cricket 80 to you since you all are doing a club build. bag of parts havent been opened, and only thing off the board is the snap off key but it is included also.I also have the build manual that i will send to you,
No Charge, for Anything.

73
David
AC9XH

gud thru hamcall.net ,qrzcq.com and FCC.

I have some 80 meter crystals, used, but can include them if wanted. these are the color burst crystals from TVs.

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Don,

retrieved ur address off hamcall.net and have it all put in a small 3m bubble mailer from Dollar tree. It will have the complete board,parts bag,key,manual and some extra 80 meter crystals. I put 3 in. They are on the color burst frequency for tvs.

Mailing it out tomorrow, since im going to get ingredients for a cake!!!!

And hope u all enjoy the build and have fun as a club.

73
David
AC9XH

good thru hamcall.net, qrzcq.com and FCC

Don, W9EBK

David,
Thank you for the donation. Our radio club really appreciates the generosity. I have had at least 3 80 meter transmitters donated. Another ham donated 10 of the specialized direction finding receivers. It looks like we should be able to get going on our Amateur Radio Direction Finding project very quickly.
Thanks again,
Don, W9EBK

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 6:41 PM David Todd via groups.io <ac9xh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don,

retrieved ur address off hamcall.net and have it all put in a small 3m bubble mailer from Dollar tree. It will have the complete board,parts bag,key,manual and some extra 80 meter crystals. I put 3 in. They are on the color burst frequency for tvs.

Mailing it out tomorrow, since im going to get ingredients for a cake!!!!

And hope u all enjoy the build and have fun as a club.

73
David
AC9XH

good thru hamcall.net, qrzcq.com and FCC

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Don,

Happy to help out.

You pay it forward when you can.Its the utimate respect for all hams by doing this.You have to help each other when needed,especially for club builds. Really gets others interested in the hobby and when others see what their friends have built.

Need to strap the transceivers to a bicycle and see if the others can find them in a fox hound event. :)

I went to the club website and really enjoyed the info and videos . Great info for everyone.

Anyway ,xyl and myself wants to bake a cake tomorrow and im going to town to get the goodies,so i will drop the package off in the mail. Would you like a tracking number for this package?

73
David
ac9xh

Don, W9EBK

David,
Thanks.  No need to send the tracking number.
Don,  W9EBK

On Wed, May 4, 2022, 9:38 PM David Todd via groups.io <ac9xh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mailed out the kit today.

USPS says on the receipt that it should be delivered by 5/7/22 Estimated.
Might be Monday for sure if they are estimating it.

73
David
ac9xh

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Don,

here is what USPS says on tracking:

Saturday 7 May 2022 by
3:30pm
Status Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 3:30pm
73
David
ac9xh

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Don,
It was delivered today to mailbox:

Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 12:22 pm on May 7, 2022 in SPRINGFIELD, IL 62703.

Status Delivered, In/At Mailbox

May 7, 2022 at 12:22 pm

You should have it in your mailbox,Don.

73