Loud Snap

WA0ITP

A few minutes ago I heard a loud "snap" on the bench. Somewhat like a mouse
trap. I thought it might be a battery in something, and sure enough, a Duracell
AA in a small flashlight popped it's cork, 'er seal. This is only the second
time this has happened in something on my bench. The last time was many years
ago when a 9 volter popped open.

What caused it, internal short? Has anyone else had this experience? Is there
any way to prevent it, or is it an inherent hazard of the hobby? Are there
batteries that are guaranteed not to burst?

Moral of story, "Upon hearing a SNAP, if you don't have mice, look at your
batteries."

---------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.qrpspots.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Terry
The only snap I get on the bench is an electrolytic installed backwards and then powered up!!

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013, WA0ITP wrote:

A few minutes ago I heard a loud "snap" on the bench. Somewhat like a mouse
trap. I thought it might be a battery in something, and sure enough, a Duracell
AA in a small flashlight popped it's cork, 'er seal. This is only the second
time this has happened in something on my bench. The last time was many years
ago when a 9 volter popped open.

What caused it, internal short? Has anyone else had this experience? Is there
any way to prevent it, or is it an inherent hazard of the hobby? Are there
batteries that are guaranteed not to burst?

Moral of story, "Upon hearing a SNAP, if you don't have mice, look at your
batteries."

---------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Phil Anderson

Terry! It's a part of the digital war going on. Somehow, perhaps via your computer link, a distance station sent you a "battery snapping" virus.'  I belive it is also called the Chin-Dong 9V virus. Heeeee

Uncle Phil

PS: Tired from the trip (and mowing). 72.

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

On 04/09/2013 03:48 PM, WA0ITP wrote:

A few minutes ago I heard a loud "snap" on the bench. Somewhat like a mouse
trap. I thought it might be a battery in something, and sure enough, a Duracell
AA in a small flashlight popped it's cork, 'er seal. This is only the second
time this has happened in something on my bench. The last time was many years
ago when a 9 volter popped open.

What caused it, internal short? Has anyone else had this experience? Is there
any way to prevent it, or is it an inherent hazard of the hobby? Are there
batteries that are guaranteed not to burst?

Moral of story, "Upon hearing a SNAP, if you don't have mice, look at your
batteries."

---------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

How about the make and manufacturer?  Just so that the rest of
aren't given a heart attack when something goes snap-pop-crackle (tm)
in the lab.

This stuff does get scary when things go bump in the night.

Makes me want to think about an electrical fire extinguisher in the
lab....

chuck, k7qo

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

I apologize. Missed the Duracell part.... Old eyes and the
monitor keeps getting closer....

chuck, k7qo

WA0ITP

It was a Duracell and has the description "Pile Alkaline" just under the name Duracell.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

[...]

Joe Bento

On 4/9/2013 5:49 PM, WA0ITP wrote:
It was a Duracell and has the description "Pile Alkaline" just under the name Duracell.

Must be one of them 'foreign' Duracells.  We don't call cells 'piles' here in America.  Perhaps the battery had a case of hemorrhoids?  :-)

Joe, N6DGY

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

[...]

Wayne Dillon

It would seem that the "pile" has subsided...
Wayne. KC0PMH

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM, WA0ITP <wa0itp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Wayne Dillon

OUCH!

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Joseph Bento <n6dgy@...> wrote:

[...]

AG1P Ron

Wasn’t that thing Enrico Fermi built in U of Chicago gym called a “pile”?   ;-)

72 – Ron – AG1P