Topics

Middle or End

Mlike McEwen

I am going to need HOA antennas for at least about 3 to 4 mo. I have 20 and 40 dipoles on hand that I can put in my attic under my standard composition shingles roof...or I could put up a backpacker 10/20/40 Endfedz up there.  Any suggestions or observations?

72/73 Doc K5OSA

Don, W9EBK

Doc,
I've grown to really like end fed dipoles.  They are a bit expensive,  but they seem to always work well.
Don, W9EBK

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 5:44 PM Michael McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
I am going to need HOA antennas for at least about 3 to 4 mo. I have 20 and 40 dipoles on hand that I can put in my attic under my standard composition shingles roof...or I could put up a backpacker 10/20/40 Endfedz up there.  Any suggestions or observations?

72/73 Doc K5OSA

Curt

Doc

Either will radiate about the same, so it may came down to which is easier to install. The feedpoint of either antenna should be clear of nearby conductive objects of appreciable size.

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Best hope you can install something that radiates, be careful if you encounter electrical wires up there as you install.

Curt wb8yyy

wb6ogd

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Same with “center fed”.
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

On Jan 15, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Curt via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

wb6ogd

Do you have any trees?
I have been hanging vertical wires from them,
even attached right to the trunk for years.
Random length as long as possible and use
a Icom remote tuner.  Invisible to HOA and
XYL, all band, have worked the world with
100w ssb, though with sunspots 😀😀
Much better than anything inside.
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:44 PM, Michael McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:

I am going to need HOA antennas for at least about 3 to 4 mo. I have 20 and 40 dipoles on hand that I can put in my attic under my standard composition shingles roof...or I could put up a backpacker 10/20/40 Endfedz up there.  Any suggestions or observations?

72/73 Doc K5OSA

n4mj

FWIW see www.tn07engineering.com. Stealth antennas

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 18:14, Curt via groups.io
<wb8yyy@...> wrote:
Doc

Either will radiate about the same, so it may came down to which is easier to install. The feedpoint of either antenna should be clear of nearby conductive objects of appreciable size.

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Best hope you can install something that radiates, be careful if you encounter electrical wires up there as you install.

Curt wb8yyy

AG1P Ron

The link doesn’t work

<wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Doc

Either will radiate about the same, so it may came down to which is easier to install. The feedpoint of either antenna should be clear of nearby conductive objects of appreciable size.

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Best hope you can install something that radiates, be careful if you encounter electrical wires up there as you install.

Curt wb8yyy

Dave Benson

I'll echo Don's comment about the end-fed antennas.

I have the PAR 40M/30M end-fed and very happy with it.  It has a single trap about 45 feet out from the feedpoint, and an overall length of 54 feet.  I had no trouble setting the lengths for an SWR of 1.2:1 or better.  With that success, there's no need for an antenna tuner.  I've also built several end-feds for portable operation and had the same success with them.

The EF-10/20/40 is 40 feet in length, and could be bent at one end if you don't have enough attic length. Its maximum recommended power is 25 Watts if that's a concern.

73 - Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:10 PM Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:
Doc,
I've grown to really like end fed dipoles.  They are a bit expensive,  but they seem to always work well.
Don, W9EBK

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 5:44 PM Michael McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
I am going to need HOA antennas for at least about 3 to 4 mo. I have 20 and 40 dipoles on hand that I can put in my attic under my standard composition shingles roof...or I could put up a backpacker 10/20/40 Endfedz up there.  Any suggestions or observations?

72/73 Doc K5OSA

Thomas Martin

If by any chance you live in South Texas check the attic many builders are using a foil backing on the roofing boards they put down to help with heat.
I used an end fed in an attic for over a year and worked all over Europe and some of Asia.

Tom
K0amd

On Friday, January 15, 2021, Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:
Doc,
I've grown to really like end fed dipoles.  They are a bit expensive,  but they seem to always work well.
Don, W9EBK

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 5:44 PM Michael McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
I am going to need HOA antennas for at least about 3 to 4 mo. I have 20 and 40 dipoles on hand that I can put in my attic under my standard composition shingles roof...or I could put up a backpacker 10/20/40 Endfedz up there.  Any suggestions or observations?

72/73 Doc K5OSA

n4mj

Try this one  HOA'S — TN07

mj

  Thank you!

The link doesn’t work

<wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Doc

Either will radiate about the same, so it may came down to which is easier to install. The feedpoint of either antenna should be clear of nearby conductive objects of appreciable size.

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Best hope you can install something that radiates, be careful if you encounter electrical wires up there as you install.

Curt wb8yyy

gary Lyons

Try tn07.com

Gary/k4eeu

D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN

use https://tn07.com/stealth-antennas

73 de Daniel KB3MUN

The link doesn’t work

<wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Doc

Either will radiate about the same, so it may came down to which is easier to install. The feedpoint of either antenna should be clear of nearby conductive objects of appreciable size.

Advantage of end fed half wave is usefulness on even harmonics.

Best hope you can install something that radiates, be careful if you encounter electrical wires up there as you install.

Curt wb8yyy

keith ford

Remove the period at the end, or google tn07.com

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad