Minimalist Transceivers

Curt

Is there a site for those interested in minimalist radios?  Like the Cricket, Pixies, Rockmites?  The simpler the better.  Would a hashtag off of this sire work for that?

72, Curt KB5JO

Darryl K4VLP

Curt,

As a QRPp enthusiast I searched in the past for such a group. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find one that covered minimalist radios in general. There were two Rockmite groups, one of which was inactive, a Pixie II group which was inactive, and a local club in the northwest which used QRPp in its name but had little in its message archive to warrant such a name, IMO. I’ve thought about starting a group for minimalists but had little confidence that it would accrue any members. We seem to be a very small minority of the ham population, if interest shown at hamfests is any indication.

72/73 de Darryl K4VLP

Wayne Steury

Facebook has numerous QRPp groups, including Pixie and Minimalist. They are often very active!

Wayne N9EGT

--
Wayne F. Steury, D. Min.
Phone or text: 260-525-8933

AG1P Ron

GA Everyone,

For the good of the hobby, we have created a subgroup called Minimalist Gear.  It is open to all 4SQRP members on Groups.io.

Join and Enjoy!

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP Volunteer Co-Moderator

4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

[...]

There was once a minimalist group on Yahoo ages ago.  But it was inactive at the end.  Maybe minimalist interest is waning.  I built a one transistor transistor sometime ago called a Pititico, based on work by a French ham F8DEG.  On 40M made a QSO with station in AR 450 miles away, and another in TX 170 miles away.  I have a drawer full of these radios of various and sundry sorts.  Rockmites are really on the complex end of the 'minimalist', The QRPme site deals with those these days.

Not sure why, but the minimalist stuff has always interested me.  In fact, just got the Cricket 30 out of the drawer to try making another QSO with it, exactly four so far.

How would a hashtag be set up under this site?  Maybe a moderator could chime in.  In fact, this thread ought to indicate if there is any interest.

So what minimalist radios have you enjoyed the most?

71/72 Curt KB5JO

Curt

I am a luddite who has avoided ALL SM.  So FB is invisible to me, like twitter, instagram, on n on.

TU Ron for subgroup

Curt KB5JO

John - KK4ITX

Thanks Ron, that fills a void....  FB and I don't get along.

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison

On Monday, January 17, 2022, 03:19:39 PM EST, Curt via groups.io <rhulett1@...> wrote:

I am a luddite who has avoided ALL SM.  So FB is invisible to me, like twitter, instagram, on n on.

TU Ron for subgroup

Curt KB5JO

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603

marjannorm

I love minimalist radios.   They are so much more fum than your Yaeconwood rigs.   Lately, I have been running a whole two watts from one of my HW-8 rigs and having a ball!    Less is more, the Man said and he was right.   Cw contact with a K7 yesterday, and listened into a net centred in Pittsburg, with stations all over the Pacific.   Way to go.
Norm vk5gi
McLaren Vale
South Australia

Bruce Kirkpatrick

Hi all
I agree-peanut power is fun.  I have some little simple rigs from Breadboard Radio, which work just as they should and are cheap and easy to build.
Here in Colorado we have a “Colorado QRP Club.”  Its motto is “Skill…Not Power.”  I think that says it all.
73
Bruce  KEØVR

On Jan 17, 2022, at 3:46 PM, marjannorm <marjannorm@...> wrote:

I love minimalist radios.   They are so much more fum than your Yaeconwood rigs.   Lately, I have been running a whole two watts from one of my HW-8 rigs and having a ball!    Less is more, the Man said and he was right.   Cw contact with a K7 yesterday, and listened into a net centred in Pittsburg, with stations all over the Pacific.   Way to go.
Norm vk5gi
McLaren Vale
South Australia

Tom Sevart

On 1/17/2022 13:27, AG1P Ron wrote:
GA Everyone,
For the good of the hobby, we have created a subgroup called Minimalist Gear.  It is open to all 4SQRP members on Groups.io.
Join and Enjoy!
How do you access it. Is it like a separate group?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

AG1P Ron

GE Tom,
There should be an option on the left side of the page when signed into the main 4SQRP groups.io page that says subgroups. If you click on that, it should list all our subgroups. If you still struggle finding it, please email me off list at my call at earthlink dot net.

72 - Ron - AG1P

For the good of the hobby, we have created a subgroup called Minimalist
Gear. It is open to all 4SQRP members on Groups.io.

Join and Enjoy!
How do you access it. Is it like a separate group?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

keith ford

I love scrounging together small rigs.  I usually breadboard and use for a while then disassemble and do something different.   Next up are the MMM, Micronaut, and MRX 40 RX

Tom Sevart

On 1/17/2022 19:01, AG1P Ron wrote:
GE Tom,
There should be an option on the left side of the page when signed into the main 4SQRP groups.io page that says subgroups. If you click on that, it should list all our subgroups. If you still struggle finding it, please email me off list at my call at earthlink dot net.
72 - Ron - AG1P
I finally found the right spot to join the subgroup.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom Sevart

I've got two Crickets, an 80 and a 30, and a Wilderness SST for 20m. The SST is pretty amazing on its own, just a few components in it but works well for a 2W rig.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Curt

Don't forget homebrew. I was inspired by the xtal controlled transmitter in the Bayou Jumper homebrew prototype. It's essentially a tuna tin 2 with an added mosfet final. Mine has filtering for both 80 and 40 meters. I modified the keying to plug it into a Magic Box, it's been operated with different receivers including a HR20 my first ham receiver.

I see SST mentioned, it is similar in scope, but not components, to the 4state cyclone. Forgive me but I prefer a receiver with some selectivity, but I do enjoy operating regens.

Enjoy whatever may be in front of you.

Curt wb8yyy

Paul Goemans

Well,
  Interestingly enough I just had a chat on 40 meters tonight with a local, K9TY. He was using his SMK-1 at a mighty 360 mW. Dave sent a photo of it. He built it into a tuna tin!
  BTW I was running my Xiegu X5105 at 5 W.

WA9PWP

Sent from Pauls iPhone

On Jan 17, 2022, at 9:25 PM, Curt via groups.io <wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Don't forget homebrew. I was inspired by the xtal controlled transmitter in the Bayou Jumper homebrew prototype. It's essentially a tuna tin 2 with an added mosfet final. Mine has filtering for both 80 and 40 meters. I modified the keying to plug it into a Magic Box, it's been operated with different receivers including a HR20 my first ham receiver.

I see SST mentioned, it is similar in scope, but not components, to the 4state cyclone. Forgive me but I prefer a receiver with some selectivity, but I do enjoy operating regens.

Enjoy whatever may be in front of you.

Curt wb8yyy

N0KNS

Yes, Colorado QRP sounds good, it's just across KS.  Let me in.

[...]

Oh never mind, just another 2 meter repeater group, why'd i bother to look?

[...]

Leland L. Bahr

I don't want to take up a lot of 4SQRP space but a nice small minimalist design is the following.  It also has some power behind it too or you can dial it back.  One variant gives you many bands and another puts AM into it along with CW.

Emergency transmitter - sv3ora (qrp.gr)   SV3ora also has a nice web site.  You can download the AM/CW version there plus many other projects.            http://www.qrp.gr/         Kostas is in Greece and is a really nice guy and avid builder.

Right now I am building up a couple of them.  Just waiting on parts such as meters and transistors.  If you build one please use a real SANYO transistor and not some fake Chinese one.  (power out is from next to nothing to 10 watts.)  A 1 amp small Chinese meter works very nicely.  (45mm)

My build will be using female header pins to allow you to plug in either 40 or 30 meter silver micas so you can use the transmitter on either band.  Kostas suggests the use of a 20 volt  $10.00 computer power supply but I am building up a board similar to the transmitter board for the power supply.  The voltage will be adjustable from 3 to 20 volts and include a small digital voltmeter, so you can adjust the output power.  As for the power output lamp, I am going to use a 3 volt/.007 amp LED bulb and include a series resistor to adjust for reasonable brightness as to not rob too much power from the transmitter.  Most of the small parts will be placed on a small perf board "Proto Board"

That is it.  You can build this thing up as cheaply or as fancy as you wish.

Hope this was not too boring.

Lee, w0vt/w5drc

Leland L. Bahr

One last thing.

1. The wire used is number 18 magnet wire  (You only need a two turn loop for 50 ohms and thus leave off all those other output impedance windings on the secondary coil.)

2.  The coil diameter is 1-1/4 inches   (You can use a PVC pipe or in my case a clear piece of 1-1/4 inch poly carbonate pipe.)

Lee, w0vt