Topics

Moderator Comment on Holiday Wishes Posts

AG1P Ron

Recently there has been some not-so-complementary comments regards holiday posts on the reflector.  Four State QRP Group is fully supportive of diversity. We have members from around the world with different belief systems. We realize that different members have different religious and philosophical views. In this case most posts are in celebration of a season designed to promote peace and tranquility along with hopes for a better, more prosperous new year.  Christmas, New Years, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, Hanukah and other winter celebrations, many of which have been around for thousands of years, each celebrating the “holidays” in their own way.

In the spirit of the holiday 4SQRP feels if you wish to pass on your HEARTFELT well-wishes to others who believe as you do, you are free to do so in the spirit of your holiday. If you do not align with those posts, please ignore them and feel free to post HEARTFELT well wishes to those who follow your own beliefs.  The world is too divided to carry anger and disrespect into this holiday promoting peace and sharing.  Let each of us all observe our holidays in the way we are familiar and not criticize those who do not believe as you do.

Happy Holidays

The Moderators

David Wilcox

This brings to my mind, would I reject a gift given in heartfelt appreciation of someone else’s beliefs?  Probably not.  While it wouldn’t cause me to adhere to their belief I would accept the gift with heartfelt thanks.  It’s the “spirit” of the occasion that causes one to even consider “giving” something to “bless” someone else.  I am of Christian belief but I can send someone a Hanukkah card or even do a favor for someone of Jewish belief.  Both they and I are blessed, the giver and the receiver.  If they were of Islamic belief the action and the result would be the same.  Let us all rejoice that whatever our internal belief we can celebrate the good in each persons beliefs and make the world a better place.

Dave K8WPE appreciating the good that the various beliefs can contribute to this very messed up world.

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Dec 22, 2020, at 11:11 PM, AG1P Ron <main+owner@4sqrp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

WB9YZU

This is exactly why "Happy Holidays" exists.
It tries to avoid all the messy political stuff and offends everyone equally - haha.

Wishing everyone a Merry ( insert YOUR favorite holiday here ),  Best of Health, and a better 2021 !
--
, Ron WB9YZU

Thomas Martin

Sad that the Moderator had to step in and remind everyone to be Peaceful in a season that promotes Peace on earth and good will to your fellow man.
I am hoping that all hams could leave what ever biases exist lock up at and and embrace  the comradely of his fellow hams while enjoying the hobby.

Tom

keith ford

And then there is the human element. . .

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 14:43, Thomas Martin <tem494@...> wrote:

Sad that the Moderator had to step in and remind everyone to be Peaceful in a season that promotes Peace on earth and good will to your fellow man.
I am hoping that all hams could leave what ever biases exist lock up at and and embrace  the comradely of his fellow hams while enjoying the hobby.

Tom

David Wilcox

Gentlemen,

Why are we so “offended” by well wishes from persons of ANY background or persuasion?  America was supposed to be the land of the free from its inception.  Some folks just have too much time on their hands just looking for something to be upset about.  Sad they chose this wonderful hobby.  For me a hobby is to help let the steam off that is generated by pressures in the world that I can't control so I can be at peace with even those I don’t agree with. Being mad or offended by something so nice as a well wish indicates a much deeper problem.

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Dec 23, 2020, at 3:17 PM, WB9YZU via groups.io <wb9yzu@...> wrote:

This is exactly why "Happy Holidays" exists.
It tries to avoid all the messy political stuff and offends everyone equally - haha.

Wishing everyone a Merry ( insert YOUR favorite holiday here ),  Best of Health, and a better 2021 !
--
, Ron WB9YZU

Tom Sevart

On 12/24/2020 05:50, David Wilcox via groups.io wrote:
Gentlemen,
Why are we so “offended” by well wishes from persons of ANY background or persuasion?
I don't know. I'm not particularly religious but I enjoy Christmas as much as everyone else. Nothing wrong with peace on earth and good will toward everyone.

So to everyone on the list, I say Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Hope Santa brings you everything you wish for and hope we all have better times in the coming new year. May we all kick covid to the curb so we can get back to having radio club meetings, QRP outings, and Ozarkcon.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Merry Christmas Tom
I think we’re all looking forward
to a great new year in 2021!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Everyone go ahead and celebrate Christmas and wait for Santa, but I put out a sigh for Santa to stay away from my house...I don't heat with coal!!

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

On 12/24/2020 21:00, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Merry Christmas Tom
I think we’re all looking forward
to a great new year in 2021!
72
Johnny ACØBQ
Yes, we certainly are. I'm looking forward to another Brutus Bash next year.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS