Morse Code wins again

davemrtn

https://www.foxnews.com/us/couple-escape-tennessee-assisted-living-morse-code

View the story in the link provided.....

Wherever I go, there He is.

Ted

More like DTMF.  This is quickly becoming an urban legend.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 20:37, davemrtn
<davemrtn@...> wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/couple-escape-tennessee-assisted-living-morse-code

View the story in the link provided.....

Wherever I go, there He is.

n4mj

Read that early this morning.  At least it got "Morse code" in the news.  Guessing he memorized tones as the lock was used. I am curious how he was allowed time, unauthorized time, to play with the key pad and figure out the actual code.  All this presumes the lock/keys emitted tones during operation.

Also, wondering why he was in the place if he had that much cognitive ability.

73 de n4mj

  Thank you!

<davemrtn@...> wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/couple-escape-tennessee-assisted-living-morse-code

View the story in the link provided.....

Wherever I go, there He is.

davemrtn

Yes, a few head scratchers in that article.

Wherever I go, there He is.

On 5/2/2021 10:41 PM, n4mj via groups.io wrote:
Read that early this morning.  At least it got "Morse code" in the news.  Guessing he memorized tones as the lock was used. I am curious how he was allowed time, unauthorized time, to play with the key pad and figure out the actual code.  All this presumes the lock/keys emitted tones during operation.

Also, wondering why he was in the place if he had that much cognitive ability.

73 de n4mj

  Thank you!

On Sunday, May 2, 2021, 07:48:53 PM CDT, Ted via groups.io <k3rta@...> wrote:

More like DTMF.  This is quickly becoming an urban legend.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 20:37, davemrtn

https://www.foxnews.com/us/couple-escape-tennessee-assisted-living-morse-code

View the story in the link provided.....

Wherever I go, there He is.

Tom Sevart

On 5/2/2021 19:48, Ted via groups.io wrote:
More like DTMF.  This is quickly becoming an urban legend.
That's what I said on the QRZ.com forums thread. I seriously doubt that any security keypad was using Morse code. I don't doubt the elderly couple may have had a history of using Morse code in the military, possibly giving them the ability to listen to the keypad with a lot of surrounding noise, but they most likely weren't sitting there copying Morse code but listening for the proper DTMF tones.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

n4mj

then, maybe he just got lucky. lol or HI  My first thoughts after reading about this in the news was - does the writer (so called journalist) even know what Morse code is?  My opinion of journalists these days isn't very good.
n4mj

  Thank you!

On Monday, May 3, 2021, 06:47:02 PM CDT, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

On 5/2/2021 19:48, Ted via groups.io wrote:
> More like DTMF.  This is quickly becoming an urban legend.

That's what I said on the QRZ.com forums thread.  I seriously doubt that
any security keypad was using Morse code.  I don't doubt the elderly
couple may have had a history of using Morse code in the military,
possibly giving them the ability to listen to the keypad with a lot of
surrounding noise, but they most likely weren't sitting there copying
Morse code but listening for the proper DTMF tones.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

davemrtn

I agree with you 100% about today's journalist.

They are just like the big guy (that I will leave unnamed), they just read the prompter and have no idea what they are talking about.

At least Morse Code got a mention in the media and some other miss-informed person might say " Hey, I ought to learn Morse Code ! ".

Wherever I go, there He is.

On 5/3/2021 6:52 PM, n4mj via groups.io wrote:
then, maybe he just got lucky. lol or HI  My first thoughts after reading about this in the news was - does the writer (so called journalist) even know what Morse code is?  My opinion of journalists these days isn't very good.
n4mj

  Thank you!

On Monday, May 3, 2021, 06:47:02 PM CDT, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

On 5/2/2021 19:48, Ted via groups.io wrote:
> More like DTMF.  This is quickly becoming an urban legend.

That's what I said on the QRZ.com forums thread.  I seriously doubt that
any security keypad was using Morse code.  I don't doubt the elderly
couple may have had a history of using Morse code in the military,
possibly giving them the ability to listen to the keypad with a lot of
surrounding noise, but they most likely weren't sitting there copying
Morse code but listening for the proper DTMF tones.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

kb4qqj

I'm betting it was DTMF tones memorized. Not Morse Code.  I recall playing Balled of the Green Beret and Jingle Bells on the phones when touch tone first came out.  ;-)

Randy_KB4QQJ

On 5/3/2021 12:49 AM, davemrtn wrote:

[...]

Gary AFN4A

Bet DTMF as well. I have a good friend (a ham) in PA that can tell you the numbers dialed if he hears the tones as you are dialing. Used to drive his friends crazy when autopatch was in heavy use. LOL.

Gary N3OS

On May 6, 2021 20:01, "kb4qqj via groups.io" <KB4QQJ=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

73 DE N3OS - Gary
QRPARCI #3425
NAQCC #7301
SKCC #3849
FISTS #18652

Tom Sevart

On 5/6/2021 19:00, kb4qqj via groups.io wrote:
I'm betting it was DTMF tones memorized. Not Morse Code.  I recall playing Balled of the Green Beret and Jingle Bells on the phones when touch tone first came out.  ;-)
I never played those songs, but I can play "Linus & Lucy," aka the Charlie Brown theme.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

IT seems to me that in a facility like that where a keypad is used to
enter a security code that differing tones on the buttons is a failure
of design. As I recall, the facility my dad is in has such keypads and
they emit a confirmation tone, but it's the same tone for all buttons.

72, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

w9ran

On 5/7/2021 6:59 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
As I recall, the facility my dad is in has such keypads and
they emit a confirmation tone, but it's the same tone for all buttons.
Exactly.   There may have been security keypads that once used DTMF but I can't imagine any reason for doing so today with digital security systems.  The tone is just to confirm that you've entered a digit since the keypads provide little if any tactile feedback.

The most plausible explanation is someone either gave him the door code or he watched someone enter it on the keypad, which in my mom's facility is within easy view and where at one time the code was written on a post-it note nearby!

The funny part is that the "Morse Code" story was swallowed hook line and sinker by what passes for "journalists" today.   I applaud the fellow for having what obviously turned out to be a good cover story!

73, Bob W9RAN

* On 2021 07 May 09:44 -0500, w9ran wrote:
On 5/7/2021 6:59 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
As I recall, the facility my dad is in has such keypads and
they emit a confirmation tone, but it's the same tone for all buttons.
Exactly.   There may have been security keypads that once used DTMF but I
can't imagine any reason for doing so today with digital security systems.
The tone is just to confirm that you've entered a digit since the keypads
provide little if any tactile feedback.
That has been my observation. DTMF could be used internally but it's not
audible.

The most plausible explanation is someone either gave him the door code or
he watched someone enter it on the keypad, which in my mom's facility is
within easy view and where at one time the code was written on a post-it
note nearby!
That is my thought, that he watched the finger motions. It's not hard
to observe as most of the codes are probably four digits, at least the
ones in the facilities I've visited.

Humorous aside, years back when my mom was in the same facility my
brother and I were going to leave and had forgotten the code and some of
the residents were nearby and they told us the code without asking! It
was a bit unnerving.

The funny part is that the "Morse Code" story was swallowed hook line and
sinker by what passes for "journalists" today.   I applaud the fellow for
having what obviously turned out to be a good cover story!
Agreed. However, it's hard to fault journalists when many hams, who one
might think are more technologically informed, also swallowed it hook
line and sinker.

Sigh...

72, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

AG1P Ron

I think it's time to put this topic to rest.
72 - Ron - AG1P
4SQRP Volunteer Co-moderator
4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

[...]

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true."