Topics

My experience with the Nouveau 75

w9ran

I'd been planning to write a review of the Nouveau 75, which has turned into something of a long-winded (hey it's AM right?) summary of my building and troubleshooting experience, along with a few measurements and on-air reports, which I've posted on my website:

http://tinyurl.com/w5saw83

To repeat:  I like it, warts and all!   The Nouveau 75 is an innovative design, a great value, performs well for what it was intended to do, and is a lot of fun to use.  It's the first thing I turn on when I walk into the shack now!

73, Bob W9RAN

ohwenzelph

Is it good enough the the AM regulars aren’t going to have a hissyfit about less than superlative hi if audio?
They seemed to do that with Dave’s Retro-75 (unless they didn’t know that was what you were using! hi hi..)
jer aa1of

w9ran

On 11/13/2019 4:44 PM, ohwenzelph via Groups.Io wrote:
Is it good enough the the AM regulars aren’t going to have a hissyfit about less than superlative hi if audio?

Hi Jerry,

That's not something I worry much about ;-)  Whenever I check in with a 5 or 10 watt AM rig they are usually so surprised they don't make any remarks about audio quality.   The electret mic has a wide response and there's some filtering in the audio preamp, so to get a sense of what it looks like I played some 8 kHz white noise into the mic while looking at the output spectrum:

With 20 kHz span each horizontal division represents 2 kHz so you can see the Nouveau 75 passband is filled to 4 kHz - I suspect the roll-off on the low end is due to limitations in my test method.  But this shows good audio response in the 2 kHz range that Bob Heil emphasizes is most important for intelligibility.

73, Bob W9RAN

Leland Lannoye

My bench?? equipment is largely under construction after almost 30 years of limited building and construction. Once Dave found a flaw on the little daughter board which he admitted I would likely have never found (although a new board would have accomplished the same thing), the rig has performed flawlessly for me.?? It will be part of an ARES earthquake drill Tuesday night.?? I am now on my fourth and fifth kits.?? I intend to continue.?? Hi Fi on a ham communication circuit? Gimme a break! And, I don't mean of a Kit Kat bar either!

4SQRP has done it again so far as I am concerned.

Leland J. Lannoye, W9HIF

--
Lee, W9HIF
The station of the Scary Ghost Stories and Tales of the Glories of Ham Radio long, long ago.

Leland Lannoye

All the more reason to have a 40 meter version.