Topics

New Hilltopper20/40

Leland L. Bahr

I received my two new Hilltopper kits today from the new batch just released!  Thanks 4SQRP for your efforts.   (I plan to convert the new 40 meter kit to 30 meters as I already own a 40 and 20 meter Hilltopper.  If possible, I'd like to turn the 20 meter kit into a 17 or 15 meter transceiver.)  This is a nice kit.  If you missed out on prior Hilltopper offerings, you might consider purchasing one now while they are again available.

(True 5 watts without insane voltage applied to the radio, keyer, single conversion receiver, covers the entire band so for 40 meters you not only have the lower cw frequencies but the often used 7100-7125 khz portion of the band not available on some kits.  (I like the 7100-7125 portion of the band.)  On receive it draws only 70 ma and the rig has reverse voltage protection.  The two SMT parts are preinstalled on the board.  The three BS-170 transistors, in the final, are inexpensive to replace if ever needed.  You also get a case for the radio.  The parts are well laid out with individual packages as you build up the transceiver.  Each bag is marked for each of the build steps.  The parts count is not excessive either in this kit.  I also noticed, unlike in the earlier offering, the case for this offering no longer states the case is for 40 meters or 20 meters.  It just says "Hilltopper".  (Great news for me as I plan to use the radios on other bands then 20 and 40 meters.)  Although this kit is not considered a beginners project,  I suspect more first time builders  will have success building this kit then many other I have seen.  The manual is superb.  My only wish is I would have liked the keyer to be a memory keyer.  That means I'll be using an outboard keyer with this transceiver.

Lee, w0vt, w5drc

Leland L. Bahr

I  might add, there are a number of Novice Boat Anchor transmitter collectors that operate on 7100-7125.  Many of these guys are primarily restorers of older tube transmitters and receivers.  Many restore and operate old tube type Novice transmitters.  They are for the most part older hams reliving their youth using old gear.  CW is not their primary interest.  So these guys, for the most part, are not "CW speed demons" and they feel more relaxed operating between 7100-7125.  It's more like operating on an old Novice Band without all the clutter.  Any new ham interested in CW would most likely enjoy this part of 40 meters when first getting started with CW.

Lee, w0vt

On 8/21/2020 6:51 PM, Leland L. Bahr wrote:
[...]

Dave Benson

Lee-

Thanks for your post, and nice to see the Hilltopper offered once more!  Glad to hear that the top cover is now 'generic'.

I used my Hilltopper-40 for the recent Skeeter Hunt event to the tune of 11 contacts.  Most of those were in the first 20 minutes of operation. Perhaps the most interesting of those was with AF3Z-Jim in PA.  He was running 0.5W crystal-controlled, and was apparently operating from the grandkids' treehouse in their backyard.

73-  Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:52 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:
[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Lee
Thanks for the review.
Dave Benson knocked it out of the park when he designed these.
A very nice radio indeed!!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Leland L. Bahr

Johnny,

A nice thing about the Hilltopper is you don't have to go through a bunch of menus to use this radio.  You need to push a button to hear the audio frequency read out, change tuning steps, or change RIT for example, but these are not constantly used functions and there are not many of them to activate.  It's a simple to use radio putting out an honest 5 watts.  (You don't need to memorize or have a cheat sheet handy to be able to use this radio.)  Not a lot of frills but a great basic transceiver doing the basic things a transceiver needs to do and it does it very well.  The parts population is not super close either making construction much easier too.  The more you get to know this transceiver, the more you realize how nice it really is.

Lee

w0vt, w5drc

On 8/21/2020 8:07 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Hello Lee
Thanks for the review.
Dave Benson knocked it out of the park when he designed these.
A very nice radio indeed!!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

wa2cky

Nice to know about the 7100-7125 segment. Kind of where I will wind up when I get back on.  Someday.

Bob, WA2CKY