Topics

New Kit Releases, Crystal Spotter and Ozark-17

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Group
I am Happy to announce the 4SQRP kit team has got the Crystal Spotter
ready to purchase.

Here is the link:

I am also pleased to announce the release of the Ozark 17.
It's a 17 meter transceiver that is mostly SMD, but they are Large!!!
That being said it's not a Beginners kit.

Here is the link for that:

Many Thanks goes to Jim, N5IB for loaning us his excellent design for the crystal Spotter.

Many Thanks as well to Tommy Hemderson, WD0AGO.
It has a super reciever, and does NOT come with an Enclosure.

Thank everyone for your continued support of the 4SQRP group.

Keep you eye on the reflector for Ozarkcon Virtual announcements.
Very

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"t
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

John Parker

Mahalo Nui Loa Johnny!

Just purchased the Crystal Spotter Kit, for WH6 land.

Since we don’t have Hobby Lobby on island and they don’t ship to Hawaii would someone be willing to help me get a box from them for this project?

Someone was kind enough to do that for the Bayou.

Mahalo for your help!

John WH6DQU

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 8:56 AM Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:
Gm Group
I am Happy to announce the 4SQRP kit team has got the Crystal Spotter
ready to purchase.

Here is the link:

I am also pleased to announce the release of the Ozark 17.
It's a 17 meter transceiver that is mostly SMD, but they are Large!!!
That being said it's not a Beginners kit.

Here is the link for that:

Many Thanks goes to Jim, N5IB for loaning us his excellent design for the crystal Spotter.

Many Thanks as well to Tommy Hemderson, WD0AGO.
It has a super reciever, and does NOT come with an Enclosure.

Thank everyone for your continued support of the 4SQRP group.

Keep you eye on the reflector for Ozarkcon Virtual announcements.
Very

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"t
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

John - KK4ITX

John,

I was able to find one box for the BJ for you and will see on Monday or Tuesday if I can determine and locate the XTAL box...... perhaps it will fit inside as shipping is terrible!!

I’ll be in touch.

73,

John
KK4ITX

🙃Each mistake is a learning opportunity.🙂

On Jan 30, 2021, at 2:18 PM, John Parker <parkjv1@...> wrote:

[...]

Don’t worry about the shipping!

It’s an occupational hazard that I’m used to

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 12:00 PM John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John Parker,

Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn’t find any small boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one you’ll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box, must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.

Yours will be in the mail on Monday.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Timothy East

I bought this to house ft-243 crystal enclosures in which I install 40 M crystals.

Didn’t get a number but the box was inexpensive.

Tim
K0EMP
The inside has two compartments.

On Jan 30, 2021, at 18:28, John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

 John Parker,

Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn’t find any small boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one you’ll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box, must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.

Yours will be in the mail on Monday.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Jim, N5IB

I should mention as an enclosure alternative. it will fit in ....... wait for it ....... An Altoids tin!

With one caveat. If you build it as specified, with the switch on the bottom, you can't shut the lid without turning it on and running down the battery.
But if you put the switch on the top, and are careful not to let the switch tabs poke through the bottom of the board, you can put a piece of plastic electrical tape over the bottom side switch pads, tuck it in an Altoids and shut the lid.

If you have a Sucrets tin, I think that fits without issue even with the switch on the bottom.

The 3D print alternative is there also, even if you don't have ready access to one. There may be a "Maker" group near you that does that stuff, and many public libraries now have 3D printers that you can submit files to and they will print them for a very nominal cost.

Jim, N5IB

John - KK4ITX

OK, this will probably cause the market to dry up on these.  Walmart has in the stationeries section a stackable box with a removable lid that is just right for a multitude of projects in the building stage and after to house the completed kit.

The inside dims: 3-7/8 x 2-7/8 x 1-1/4 inches.

They cost a whole buck, been using them for a couple of years, great item IMO.

Take a look next time you venture out.

John
KK4ITX
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Jan 30, 2021, at 19:45, Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:

[...]

KG6EYE Gene

On Jan 30, 2021, at 18:28, John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

 John Parker,

Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn’t find any small boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one you’ll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box, must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.

Yours will be in the mail on Monday.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Bob Parr

What's the inside look like?

Bob
Agent 052

> I bought this to house ft-243 crystal enclosures in which I install
> 40 M crystals.
>

> Didn't get a number but the box was inexpensive.
>

> Tim
> K0EMP
> The inside has two compartments.
>

>> On Jan 30, 2021, at 18:28, John - KK4ITX via groups.io
>> <jleahy00@...> wrote:
>

>> ? John Parker,
>>

>> Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn't find any small
>> boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one
>> you'll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box,
>> must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.
>>

> Yours will be in the mail on Monday.
>

> John
> KK4ITX
>
> Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   ðŸ'

John Parker

John,

I’m so great full for your help!

Please let me know what the cost is for your time, Effort, cost and shipping, etc!

I don’t have a problem with reimbursement knowing that island life has its consequences!

Without people like you, this could never happen!

Big Mahalo from an island locked ham in the middle of the Pacific!

John WH6DQU

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 2:28 PM John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John Parker,

Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn’t find any small boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one you’ll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box, must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.

Yours will be in the mail on Monday.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Timothy East

It has two compartments large enough to enclose two packs of playing cards.

The crystals fit pretty well but better once I put some cotton or batting inside.

Tim
K0EMP

> I bought this to house ft-243 crystal enclosures in which I install
> 40 M crystals.
>

> Didn't get a number but the box was inexpensive.
>

> Tim
> K0EMP
> The inside has two compartments.
>

>> On Jan 30, 2021, at 18:28, John - KK4ITX via groups.io
>> <jleahy00@...> wrote:
>

>> ? John Parker,
>>

>> Went back to Hobby Lobby tonight and I didn't find any small
>> boxes for the XTAL project so if no one else can come up with one
>> you'll have to wing it ?  I was fortunate to find another BJ box,
>> must be a popular size as they again only had one on the shelf.
>>

> Yours will be in the mail on Monday.
>

> John
> KK4ITX
>
> Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   ðŸ'

Bob Parr

I have toyed with the idea of getting the large box and gluing in some dividers to make a spot for the BJ, but also other areas for crystals, cables and maybe a keyer.    If I do it now, I would be to include a place for a frequency counter (with a switch between the BJ and the spotter), tuner and if there is still any room, probably some cables.

I got the idea from one of the BJ builders, but would modify to fit my needs.

> It has two compartments large enough to enclose two packs of
> playing cards.
>

> The crystals fit pretty well but better once I put some cotton or
> batting inside.
>

> Tim
>
> K0EMP

I went onto the Hobby Lobby site and bought both the 3-box set (BJ size plus two smaller boxes...sold on-line only as a set of 3), SKU 299743, for $7.47 and the Playing Card Box, SKU 646059 for $2.49 for a total of $9,96.  With tax and shipping the price doubled to $20.06.

Even at 20 bucks, no complaints here as that is well worth it for 4 boxes with hardware...I can use them all for various projects.

EuGene, KA5NLY

WHOOPS!

The 3 box set is not the one for the BJ, rather they are smaller boxes.  The 3 box set which has larger boxes (including the one for the BJ) is SKU 662536 and costs $26.97.

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

Joshua Wood

Just thought I'd share that the kit new Crystal Spotter kit arrived in good shape!  Was a real quick assembly, with well put together documentation!   It's an ideal first Pittsburgh style board, if you've never done one.  Managed to pick up a matching box at the local Hobby Lobby, too!  Thanks for the great kits and the quick response to interest in this project!

-Josh
W0ODJ

Jim, N5IB

Thanks for that report and photo, Josh.
Nice looking build, and I see you added the socket pins.

Was that box the #288743S called out in the manual, that we're all thinking is unobtanium?
Or is it another box that fits the board?
If it's a different one, please pass along the stock number.

Jim, N5IB

Mark Janzer

FWIW, My local Hobby Lobby has the 288743S and the 288743M.
I purchased the medium size box, as the crystal spotter board fits in sideways and allows for a side storage area for a few crystals.
Price with 40% coupon -/+ $1.60

Note that the 40% off coupon will no longer be offered by Hobby Lobby, permanently, after February.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

cornhusker

I got a couple of the small wooden boxes at Hobby Lobby here in Lincoln for the Crystal Spotter kit.  The correct actual number on it is 299743S.  The kit fits exactly inside.
73 de K0NEB

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 8:25 AM, Mark Janzer via groups.io
<k5mgj@...> wrote:
FWIW, My local Hobby Lobby has the 288743S and the 288743M.
I purchased the medium size box, as the crystal spotter board fits in sideways and allows for a side storage area for a few crystals.
Price with 40% coupon -/+ $1.60

Note that the 40% off coupon will no longer be offered by Hobby Lobby, permanently, after February.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Peter Dehman

Good Evening Friends,

For what it is worth, here is an idea for the Crystal Spotter.

The box came (unfinished) from Amazon.

Unfinished Wood Box, Dedoot 2 PCS Small Wood Craft Box with Locking Clasp Rectangle Wood Box Organizer for Jewelry Box Gift Box Artist Tool and Brush Storage Box, 5.5x2.75x2.87 Inch
Amazon'sChoicefor "pin box"

Price:$13.99  & FREE Returns
  • Package include two gift storage boxes, made of natural wood. Size approx: 14x7x7.3 cm / 5.5x2.75x2.87 inches.
  • The wood storage box has a gold hook closure that can keep your things inside the box not falling out.
  • Unfinished wood jewelry box is a blank canvas for creativity. You could design the wooden box to be unique and beautiful by paint, stain, decorating or other means.
  • The unfinished wood classic box perfect for many arts, crafts, hobby projects, organizing and home and storage. Create the perfect gift.
  • Wood storage box is good used as jewelry box, gift box, photo box and so on. Perfect for organizing tea, photo, ring, watch, Christmas gift, ect.