New SMT Dummy Load

John - KK4ITX

While thinking about how to protect this neat device it appeared to me that packaging of the SMT Dummy Load can be made easier by the changing the mounting of the BNC and perhaps the capacitor also, although if mounted close to the PCB the CAP is not a problem.

If the BNC was positioned on the bottom of the PCB and the CAP installed at 90 deg to the board the LEDs would then be the highest items on the PCB thus eliminating the need for light pipes on 3D printed cases or trying to fit into a plain plastic box.

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603

Johnny AC0BQ

Interesting John
Thanks for the idea.
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

John - KK4ITX

Jim,

Perhaps attach the board to top cover studs from the inside and 3D print the various power(s) above the LEDs.  Of course, the BNC hole has to be relocated also.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603

Jim Sheldon

Having been at this for a number of years, I'm well aware of what is necessary.  One the one I originally designed, the lettering IS on it including the power value for each LED on the upper surface.

Of course it will have to be re-designed (an easy task in my CAD program) with the BNC hole relocated, the cover & board mounting spacers, etc have to be taken into account.  To paraphrase some unknown cowboy, "This ain't my first rodeo", LOL.

I'd have to order another one to make sure I had the dimensions right though as I have given the one I had away to one more needy than I.  (I have several good, including QRP, commercial dummy loads by Microwave Associates that I acquired during my years teaching electronics and being an electronic equipment repairman for the US Army.

Jim - W0EB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603

Jim Sheldon

John. KK4ITX's idea is a great one and to support anyone planning on building their 4SQRP SMT Dummy Load using this configuration I'll be working on a case design supporting it to go along with the other design using the "light pipes" and mounting the board on the bottom of the case.

Having given my original kit away to a friend needing one, I just ordered another kit so I can build it using John's Idea and create a 3D printed case for it using the idea of mounting the BNC connector on the bottom and having the capacitor lie flat to the PC board.  In the new design the LED's will protrude slightly from the holes in the top of the case and the hole for the BNC connector will be moved down slightly in the case bottom to ensure a clean fit.  The mounting screws will remain the same as in the original. I'll publish the design on both "Thingiverse" and "Printables.com" once I get the new kit I ordered from 4SQRP and have time to re-do the design to fit.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
4SQRP Member #44