New SMT Dummy Load

John - KK4ITX

While thinking about how to protect this neat device it appeared to me that packaging of the SMT Dummy Load can be made easier by the changing the mounting of the BNC and perhaps the capacitor also, although if mounted close to the PCB the CAP is not a problem.

If the BNC was positioned on the bottom of the PCB and the CAP installed at 90 deg to the board the LEDs would then be the highest items on the PCB thus eliminating the need for light pipes on 3D printed cases or trying to fit into a plain plastic box. 

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison     

--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603

Johnny AC0BQ

Interesting John
Thanks for the idea.
Johnny 

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
While thinking about how to protect this neat device it appeared to me that packaging of the SMT Dummy Load can be made easier by the changing the mounting of the BNC and perhaps the capacitor also, although if mounted close to the PCB the CAP is not a problem.

If the BNC was positioned on the bottom of the PCB and the CAP installed at 90 deg to the board the LEDs would then be the highest items on the PCB thus eliminating the need for light pipes on 3D printed cases or trying to fit into a plain plastic box. 

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

--

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Sheldon

Hey, I just looked at the manual again (I built one earlier), and there's no reason that capacitor couldn't be mounted normally on the underside as well.  I was the guy that designed the 3D printed case that used the "light pipes" and it would be very simple to make another one that would allow for that kind of mounting.  The LED's could protrude through the top, or just barely protrude (better idea) and it would look pretty decent without all the extra stuff needing to be printed.  That would speed the print job up a bit as well.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

------ Original Message ------
From "Johnny AC0BQ" <jomatlock@...>
Date 11/19/2022 1:16:22 PM
Subject Re: [4SQRP] New SMT Dummy Load

Interesting John
Thanks for the idea.
Johnny 

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

--

--

John - KK4ITX

Jim,

Perhaps attach the board to top cover studs from the inside and 3D print the various power(s) above the LEDs.  Of course, the BNC hole has to be relocated also.

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 02:38:09 PM EST, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Hey, I just looked at the manual again (I built one earlier), and there's no reason that capacitor couldn't be mounted normally on the underside as well.  I was the guy that designed the 3D printed case that used the "light pipes" and it would be very simple to make another one that would allow for that kind of mounting.  The LED's could protrude through the top, or just barely protrude (better idea) and it would look pretty decent without all the extra stuff needing to be printed.  That would speed the print job up a bit as well.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

Interesting John
Thanks for the idea.
Johnny 

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

--

--

--

Jim Sheldon

Having been at this for a number of years, I'm well aware of what is necessary.  One the one I originally designed, the lettering IS on it including the power value for each LED on the upper surface.  

Of course it will have to be re-designed (an easy task in my CAD program) with the BNC hole relocated, the cover & board mounting spacers, etc have to be taken into account.  To paraphrase some unknown cowboy, "This ain't my first rodeo", LOL.  

I'd have to order another one to make sure I had the dimensions right though as I have given the one I had away to one more needy than I.  (I have several good, including QRP, commercial dummy loads by Microwave Associates that I acquired during my years teaching electronics and being an electronic equipment repairman for the US Army.

Jim - W0EB

From "John - KK4ITX via groups.io" <jleahy00@...>
Date 11/20/2022 9:19:10 AM

Jim,

Perhaps attach the board to top cover studs from the inside and 3D print the various power(s) above the LEDs.  Of course, the BNC hole has to be relocated also.

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 02:38:09 PM EST, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

Interesting John
Thanks for the idea.
Johnny 

John
KK4ITX

Thomas A. Edison     

--

--

--

Jim Sheldon

John. KK4ITX's idea is a great one and to support anyone planning on building their 4SQRP SMT Dummy Load using this configuration I'll be working on a case design supporting it to go along with the other design using the "light pipes" and mounting the board on the bottom of the case.

Having given my original kit away to a friend needing one, I just ordered another kit so I can build it using John's Idea and create a 3D printed case for it using the idea of mounting the BNC connector on the bottom and having the capacitor lie flat to the PC board.  In the new design the LED's will protrude slightly from the holes in the top of the case and the hole for the BNC connector will be moved down slightly in the case bottom to ensure a clean fit.  The mounting screws will remain the same as in the original. I'll publish the design on both "Thingiverse" and "Printables.com" once I get the new kit I ordered from 4SQRP and have time to re-do the design to fit.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
4SQRP Member #44