No Tone on the Bayou Jumper?

AC5WT

I am new to this format. I built the Blue Bayou Jumper... I have it going and it is working fine thanks to the very detailed manual... I have not made a contact on the rig yet but hoping to get one soon.
I hear all the others making contacts and wonder how do they make these contacts without a tone?....
What are all of you using for a transmitter tone?....
The manual says do not hook anything across the key because there can be 750 milliamps running through the key! (I measured my key current at 350 milliamperes)
Without the Souper Upper I was wondering how everybody overcame this problem of no transmitter tone?
Detailed explanations would be appreciated. Thanks AC5WT (Bill)

Roger-N0RSR

I've been known to use 2 other radios with the Bayou Jumper. Both yeasu 818s from my satellite chasing hobby.

One connected to a dummy load and key so I can verify my receive frequency and tune back to it quickly if it drifts. The second is on the frequency of the spotted crystal with no antenna and serves as the side tone.

Keeping in mind I've made a whopping 2 contacts on it, I'm sure there's a better way. I have successfully called CQ without side tone but seems easier with a side tone.

-Roger

N0RSR

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021, 9:15 PM AC5WT via groups.io <anwj=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am new to this format. I built the Blue Bayou Jumper... I have it going and it is working fine thanks to the very detailed manual... I have not made a contact on the rig yet but hoping to get one soon.
I hear all the others making contacts and wonder how do they make these contacts without a tone?....
What are all of you using for a transmitter tone?....
The manual says do not hook anything across the key because there can be 750 milliamps running through the key! (I measured my key current at 350 milliamperes)
Without the Souper Upper I was wondering how everybody overcame this problem of no transmitter tone?
Detailed explanations would be appreciated. Thanks AC5WT (Bill)

Gary E. Kohtala

I usually do nothing. Just key the rig. It's easy. No sidetone really necessary. I listen
to the clicks of the contacts making and breaking. Alternatively, but not often, I tune
the station transceiver to the Bayou Jumper frequency and listen to myself. This is a low
tech nearly minimalist rig without the luxuries of many of the modern rigs. One does the best
he can with the cards dealt.  Good luck with it.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Everett Catlin

Hi Bill

Good morning. On using the Bayou Jumper without a side tone. I have just gotten used  to it. It took a while. I might add the Souper Upper later but going to operate it this way first.
73
Ev Catlin N5MZX

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 5:36 AM Roger-N0RSR <Roger.Rugg@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,
Hi. I have had my BJ for several years now (white faced). So far 28 states and 2 countries. I have used the built-in key, an external straight key, an iambic keyer and a keyer as a straight key. More recently I use a mini straight key without a side tone. It takes some practice but goes along with the minimalist use of this basic rig which is part of the fun.
I would suggest that you add the robust PNP transistor (TIP42G) on the underside of the board as described on page 43 of the manual. This will allow you to use any combination of key or keyer that you would like, with or without a side tone. The modification is pretty simple. Another advantage is that your CW will sound a little better with an external key without any chirping which will start to occur if you use the built in key and don’t regularly clean the contacts. I can send you some pictures of my TIP42G mod if you would like.
Have fun and try the BJ every which way.... that’s the fun and challenge.
72
Peter
AA2VG

Bob Parr

I have the Rev A and Rev B instructions and don't see mention of the PNP.  I very well may be missing it, but can you explain where/what it does.  I am guessing part of it is for an electronic keyer (which I like) but also how will it facilitate a side tone?

Bob
KG5GTE