No Tone on the Bayou Jumper?

AC5WT

I am new to this format. I built the Blue Bayou Jumper... I have it going and it is working fine thanks to the very detailed manual... I have not made a contact on the rig yet but hoping to get one soon.
I hear all the others making contacts and wonder how do they make these contacts without a tone?....
What are all of you using for a transmitter tone?....
The manual says do not hook anything across the key because there can be 750 milliamps running through the key! (I measured my key current at 350 milliamperes)
Without the Souper Upper I was wondering how everybody overcame this problem of no transmitter tone?
Detailed explanations would be appreciated. Thanks AC5WT (Bill)

Roger-N0RSR

I've been known to use 2 other radios with the Bayou Jumper. Both yeasu 818s from my satellite chasing hobby. 

One connected to a dummy load and key so I can verify my receive frequency and tune back to it quickly if it drifts. The second is on the frequency of the spotted crystal with no antenna and serves as the side tone. 

Keeping in mind I've made a whopping 2 contacts on it, I'm sure there's a better way. I have successfully called CQ without side tone but seems easier with a side tone.

-Roger 

N0RSR

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021, 9:15 PM AC5WT via groups.io <anwj=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am new to this format. I built the Blue Bayou Jumper... I have it going and it is working fine thanks to the very detailed manual... I have not made a contact on the rig yet but hoping to get one soon.
I hear all the others making contacts and wonder how do they make these contacts without a tone?....
The manual says do not hook anything across the key because there can be 750 milliamps running through the key! (I measured my key current at 350 milliamperes)
Without the Souper Upper I was wondering how everybody overcame this problem of no transmitter tone?

Gary E. Kohtala

I usually do nothing. Just key the rig. It's easy. No sidetone really necessary. I listen
to the clicks of the contacts making and breaking. Alternatively, but not often, I tune
the station transceiver to the Bayou Jumper frequency and listen to myself. This is a low
tech nearly minimalist rig without the luxuries of many of the modern rigs. One does the best
he can with the cards dealt.  Good luck with it.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Everett Catlin

Hi Bill

Good morning. On using the Bayou Jumper without a side tone. I have just gotten used  to it. It took a while. I might add the Souper Upper later but going to operate it this way first.
Ev Catlin N5MZX

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 5:36 AM Roger-N0RSR <Roger.Rugg@...> wrote:
I've been known to use 2 other radios with the Bayou Jumper. Both yeasu 818s from my satellite chasing hobby. 

One connected to a dummy load and key so I can verify my receive frequency and tune back to it quickly if it drifts. The second is on the frequency of the spotted crystal with no antenna and serves as the side tone. 

Keeping in mind I've made a whopping 2 contacts on it, I'm sure there's a better way. I have successfully called CQ without side tone but seems easier with a side tone.

-Roger 

N0RSR

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021, 9:15 PM AC5WT via groups.io <anwj=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill,
Hi. I have had my BJ for several years now (white faced). So far 28 states and 2 countries. I have used the built-in key, an external straight key, an iambic keyer and a keyer as a straight key. More recently I use a mini straight key without a side tone. It takes some practice but goes along with the minimalist use of this basic rig which is part of the fun.
I would suggest that you add the robust PNP transistor (TIP42G) on the underside of the board as described on page 43 of the manual. This will allow you to use any combination of key or keyer that you would like, with or without a side tone. The modification is pretty simple. Another advantage is that your CW will sound a little better with an external key without any chirping which will start to occur if you use the built in key and don’t regularly clean the contacts. I can send you some pictures of my TIP42G mod if you would like. 
Have fun and try the BJ every which way.... that’s the fun and challenge.
Peter
AA2VG

Bob Parr

I have the Rev A and Rev B instructions and don't see mention of the PNP.  I very well may be missing it, but can you explain where/what it does.  I am guessing part of it is for an electronic keyer (which I like) but also how will it facilitate a side tone?

Bob
KG5GTE

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 3/22/2021 8:00:40 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] No Tone on the Bayou Jumper?

Bill,
Hi. I have had my BJ for several years now (white faced). So far 28 states and 2 countries. I have used the built-in key, an external straight key, an iambic keyer and a keyer as a straight key. More recently I use a mini straight key without a side tone. It takes some practice but goes along with the minimalist use of this basic rig which is part of the fun.
I would suggest that you add the robust PNP transistor (TIP42G) on the underside of the board as described on page 43 of the manual. This will allow you to use any combination of key or keyer that you would like, with or without a side tone. The modification is pretty simple. Another advantage is that your CW will sound a little better with an external key without any chirping which will start to occur if you use the built in key and don’t regularly clean the contacts. I can send you some pictures of my TIP42G mod if you would like. 
Have fun and try the BJ every which way.... that’s the fun and challenge.
Peter
AA2VG

Bob
Hi. You are correct. The instructions for adding the capability of using a keyer was not in the original white faced manual, I thought it was. The BJs (all versions) pass a large current through the built in key contacts. This works well but it does create several issues. First is that you should not plug an electronic keyer into the key jack because the current would be too high for the keyer 350 - 750 mA as I understand it. This might destroy your keyer. You can, of course, plug in a straight key since a straight can handle this current as you are just making a metal to metal connection (the contacts). The second issue is that the built-in key contacts tend to build up some carbon, I assume, and will start to cause some chirping if you don't clean them from time to time. 
I have attached the schematic that was put out on the old Yahoo group back with the initial BJ. It is the same as the schematic on page 43 of the new blue faced BJ. I have also attached a picture of my modification. The advantages of adding the TIP42G are the following.
  1. I can still use my built in straight key as I works as it did before the mod. The full current goes through the contacts and if I don't clean them often it sends a chirp, which I kind of like. Nevertheless, the FCC volunteer monitoring group did send me a postcard with boxes checked off..... ie foul language, causing interference and other bad things with a check next to Chirping...I think it was meant in good faith.
  2. I can plug in any straight key. Now the external str key does not see the large current. More importantly, my CW signal is cleaner because it is the TIP42G that is acting like a switch turning on and off my dots and dashes.
  3. There are many small keyers that one can purchase or build. Now I can plug in my Whiterook MK-60 keyer and set it for iambic mode with a paddle or even straight key mode. Since the keyer does not see the large current and only sees the TIP42G turning on and off it is not stressed and will not get destroyed. 
  4. All of these small keyers like the MK-60 or any keyer that you build these days have a Piezoelectric speaker or an actual speaker and thus I will have a side tone. My old Whiterook MK-60 even has a straight key mode. This allows me to send with an external straight key and have a side tone. The side tone is of course coming from the keyer and not the BJ so when sending I have my headphones slightly off one ear so I can hear the side tone. 
In summary with the TIP42G mod you have so many choices..... and lots of fun.  

Enjoy and feel free to comment.
Peter
AA2VG

Bob Parr

Okay, I only took a quick look at the Rev B instructions and saw what looked like the same schematic.  I see it now and Like the idea of adding this mod and will probably do so to both my Rev A and my Rev B when I build it.

Thanks for your help!
Bob
KG5GTE

Sent: 3/22/2021 11:38:50 AM

Bob
Hi. You are correct. The instructions for adding the capability of using a keyer was not in the original white faced manual, I thought it was. The BJs (all versions) pass a large current through the built in key contacts. This works well but it does create several issues. First is that you should not plug an electronic keyer into the key jack because the current would be too high for the keyer 350 - 750 mA as I understand it. This might destroy your keyer. You can, of course, plug in a straight key since a straight can handle this current as you are just making a metal to metal connection (the contacts). The second issue is that the built-in key contacts tend to build up some carbon, I assume, and will start to cause some chirping if you don't clean them from time to time. 
I have attached the schematic that was put out on the old Yahoo group back with the initial BJ. It is the same as the schematic on page 43 of the new blue faced BJ. I have also attached a picture of my modification. The advantages of adding the TIP42G are the following.
  1. I can still use my built in straight key as I works as it did before the mod. The full current goes through the contacts and if I don't clean them often it sends a chirp, which I kind of like. Nevertheless, the FCC volunteer monitoring group did send me a postcard with boxes checked off..... ie foul language, causing interference and other bad things with a check next to Chirping...I think it was meant in good faith.
  2. I can plug in any straight key. Now the external str key does not see the large current. More importantly, my CW signal is cleaner because it is the TIP42G that is acting like a switch turning on and off my dots and dashes.
  3. There are many small keyers that one can purchase or build. Now I can plug in my Whiterook MK-60 keyer and set it for iambic mode with a paddle or even straight key mode. Since the keyer does not see the large current and only sees the TIP42G turning on and off it is not stressed and will not get destroyed. 
  4. All of these small keyers like the MK-60 or any keyer that you build these days have a Piezoelectric speaker or an actual speaker and thus I will have a side tone. My old Whiterook MK-60 even has a straight key mode. This allows me to send with an external straight key and have a side tone. The side tone is of course coming from the keyer and not the BJ so when sending I have my headphones slightly off one ear so I can hear the side tone. 
In summary with the TIP42G mod you have so many choices..... and lots of fun.  

Enjoy and feel free to comment.
Peter
AA2VG

Jim, N5IB

I'm going to post a comment over on the Bayou Jumper Group about the keying mod.
Want to concentrate those discussions over there if possible

Jim, N5IB

Bob Parr

No problem. I didn't even realize it was not.

Bob

To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Sent: 3/22/2021 12:35:09 PM

I'm going to post a comment over on the Bayou Jumper Group about the keying mod.
Want to concentrate those discussions over there if possible

Jim, N5IB

Tom Sevart

On 3/22/2021 08:00, Peter AA2VG wrote:

I would suggest that you add the robust PNP transistor (TIP42G) on the underside of the board as described on page 43 of the manual. This will allow you to use any combination of key or keyer that you would like, with or without a side tone.
I am totally unfamiliar with the Bayou Jumper circuit, but I take it that you can key the base of this PNP transistor which basically works as a keying switch? In that case I think it would be fairly simple to build a simple audio oscillator circuit, connect it to be powered by that transistor, and connect the output (probably through a capacitor) to the audio chain of the receiver.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus