Topics

Nouveau 75 Power Output

Curt M.

Has anyone done any testing on the power output of their Nouveau 75?

I have an basic inexpensive DIamond SX200 meter which I suspect isn't perfect across all of the bands for which it was designed for.  If I set the switch for PEP I getting a carrier of 4w.  If I set the mic gain to where it just starts to turn the LED on and I give  fairly loud "Hello!" into the mic I think the meter jumps up to around 10-12w.  If I turn the mic gain up and in the same tone say, "Hello!" it goes to about 18w.

I was kind of thinking that with the mic gain set correctly I would get a little higher output than the 10-12w that I am seeing.  Again, it could be the meter but that's all that's I have.  My Bird 43 without the PEP option will probably not give me a good reading.  Actually I checked the carrier with it and using a brand new 25w slug and it was about 2.5w.

What's everyone else's experience been with power tests?  Not sure if mine has an issue or not.  The receive clarity is excellent.

I tried to make a local contact with it and the two guys couldn't hear me.  I used my IC-7300 on full power (25w) and the same antenna and they said they could barely make me out.

Curt M.

Dave Benson

Curt-

>I tried to make a local contact with it and the two guys couldn't hear me.  I used my IC-7300 on full power (25w) and the same antenna and they said they could barely make me out.<

If they're local... and not hearing you.... I'll ask if your antenna is a vertical.

Jim- W1PID- and I couldn't even hear each other on CW when I used a vertical.  We're 30 miles apart.  Now that I have a dipole up, we're 20-over-S9 on 75M at 10W PEP.

73- Dave

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:31 AM Curt M. <WU3URADIO@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

I'm using an end fed wire.  One guy has a full size 80m dipole and the other was only about 5 miles away with a Tarheel on the mobile.  The guy that could hear me on the 7300 was the guy with the Tarheel.  The guy with the full size 80m dipole couldn't hear me on either radio.

My end fed wire is short for 80m at 44' but I nearly have my Worked All States on 80m SSB phone but that's with 100w.

Charles W. Powell

I was worried that my Nouveau 75 was not putting out enough power because it only showed about 3 watts of carrier on my scope.  But I finally picked up the mic today and jumped into the end of a QSO and get a 5x9 report from Fort Scott, just shy of 50 miles south as the crow flies.  My antenna is probably too high for ideal NVIS, but it did work.   The audio is apparently quite good with the limiter lighting the panel LED on high peaks.

I have to admit, I was more than excited when the radio worked so well.

72,

Charles - NK8O

[Edited Message Follows]