Topics

Nouveau 75 power output

w9ran

Now that I've got my modulator settled down I'm wondering what others are seeing for RF power output?

With a 13.5VDC supply I get 2.8 watts resting carrier and right at 11 watts PEP on voice peaks with 100% modulation.   That was good enough to be heard around the midwest this morning on the Midwest Classic Radio Net, but it's about half of what the Nouveau 75 specification says it should be.

Some comparisons will help determine whether my modulator is still not working right, thanks.

73, Bob W9RAN

Bill VanKirk

Bob,
I tried to answer you direct however my email was returned. My Nouveau 75 is making 5 watts carrier and modulates to about 12 watts. It seems to work well and the receive sounds very good with an external speaker. The internal speaker not so much. In the evenings I have been using it to listen to WTWW on 5.085mhz. It receives that station very well.

73
Bill

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 1:29 PM w9ran <w9ran@...> wrote:
Now that I've got my modulator settled down I'm wondering what others
are seeing for RF power output?

With a 13.5VDC supply I get 2.8 watts resting carrier and right at 11
watts PEP on voice peaks with 100% modulation.   That was good enough to
be heard around the midwest this morning on the Midwest Classic Radio
Net, but it's about half of what the Nouveau 75 specification says it
should be.

Some comparisons will help determine whether my modulator is still not
working right, thanks.

73, Bob W9RAN

Bill
W0PT

Charles W. Powell

That seems to be about what mine puts out, but it made a perfectly fine AM contact with it the other day with it. Remember, that’s less than 3 dB down from the advertised level and it doesn’t make that much difference in your transmitted signal. The receiver doesn’t seem to be wildly sensitive, but I think if it were I think it would overload. I set my modulation by the LED activity, with it flashing only on peaks. WTWW (5085) sounds great, as does the net that meets on 3885. I don’t think I will mess with mine. The enemy of good is better!

73,

Charles - NK8O