From: Rex K0KP <rex@...>
Date: 4/14/20 9:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Nouveau 75A PTT

[Edited Message Follows]

I posted this to the N75 sub group but I'm not sure who might get it there so I will post here as well just in case.

Regarding a PTT solution for my Nouveau so that it will key an external amplifier please refer to the attached schematic and photos.  A relay works fine to key the external amplifier because the Nouveau has an exceptionally long delay after keying the mic circuit before it begins generating RF.  The relay gives additional isolation without any amplifier hot switching even with the extra time for the isolation relay to close.  This works well with my AL-811H and my RF2K+.  The RF2K+ will generate legal limit AM with the 5 watt Nouveau drive.

Thanks to David Cripe NM0S for help with this.

Donald <donwestpwl@...>

Hey John,

Maybe you want to amplify your Nouveau because...

You and your best friend now live out of range of a Nouveau 75, but an amp lets you ragchew reliably. What's better than ragchewing with a buddy, on something you built?
Maybe you like hiking/camping operating, and you like to take a portable amp, for those challenging circumstances.

Maybe you've got a squirrel using your 80 meter antenna for a shortcut to the bird feeder, and you want to see how he reacts to a couple hundred watts of "CQ squirrel, CQ squirrel".

Maybe you've got some big amplifiers and you really enjoy using them with all your radios.

73, Donald, KB5PWL

On 4/15/2020 6:58 AM, John P Lloyd via groups.io wrote:
Hello Rex,
I was reading your email and was wondering what is the point of running high power when the Noveau (and the retro 75, I have both) are basically deaf?

When I inquired about this a few months ago i found on the web the explanation that as the Noveau only was a 5 watt rig and better sensitivity was not needed.

I measured my  Noveau with an elecraft signal source.

Please understand I don't mean any disrespect in my email, just trying to understand the reasoning.

73, john w4jpl

Donald <donwestpwl@...>

K0KP's External PTT doesn't have to be used for an amp, it could be used for a T/R switch, switching antennas, an RX preamp, or other stuff. --Donald, KB5PWL

Rex K0KP <rex@...>

I posted this to the N75 sub group but I'm not sure who might get it there so I will post here as well just in case.

Regarding a PTT solution for my Nouveau so that it will key an external amplifier please refer to the attached schematic and photos.  A relay works fine to key the external amplifier because the Nouveau has an exceptionally long delay after keying the mic circuit before it begins generating RF.  The relay gives additional isolation without any amplifier hot switching even with the extra time for the isolation relay to close.  This works well with my AL-811H and my RF2K+.  The RF2K+ will generate legal limit AM with the 5 watt Nouveau drive.

Thanks to David Cripe NM0S for help with this.

Rex K0KP <rex@...>

Hi John -  I have not had a sensitivity problem and two other Nouveau 75A owners here in Minnesota that I regularly talk with report that the sensitivity is good on their units as well.  Have not observed this to be a problem at all.  We have a morning group on 3730 KHz each day and sometimes when the band is down an amplifier after the Nouveau 75A really helps to make the QSOs sollid Q5 copy.

73 Rex K0KP

KG0DQ

Rex,

What time in the morning do you start? I’ll try to be there with my N75a.

73 KG0DQ

Donald A. Kocsis

Hi all,

I built my Nouveau 75A last week and find the receiver very sensitive. My output power is around 3 watts at 3.705 MHZ and 2 watts at 3.880 MHZ. In Ohio there are stations on 3.875, 3.880 and 3.885 in the evening which sometime cause some interference when I am on 3.880 MHZ. I connected the 75A to my SB220 and use a foot switch and get between 70 and 100 watts output. I got into the Mighty Elmac net on Wednesday.

73, Don WA8TWM

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Rex K0KP <rex@...>

Congratulations Will!

Timothy East

I’m in for that

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Ok guys
Say 9:00 am CDST time tomorrow morning?
What freq, 3730? 3740 if 3730 is busy?
Let me know what you think?

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Timothy East

Well, I will have to miss the first one.  Our HAM club meets the third Saturday morning at 0900.
With COVID-19, we are meeting on the Emporia repeater. 146.985.

Next time. Every Saturday on this N-75 group or once a month?

Tim
K0EMP

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

KG0DQ

Thanks Rex for the information. I listened this morning and heard Will K0WDO he was Q5 here in mid western Iowa. It is interesting that most everyone had an N75 available, Will was the only one I heard using one. Did not hear you on at all. It was said you were using an amp. Condition and my location. Hope to get my microphone working properly for tomorrow.
73 KG0DQ

K0WDO Will Osborn

Tomorrow, Saturday morning 9AM Central for the coffee club on 3730, sounds good I’ll be there!

73, Will
K0WDO

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Mark Hansen

Will - I copied you this morning on my Realistic DX-160 receiver in NE Iowa. High noise level here for some reason.
I am building a Nouveau 75A....   73

Mark WA0RXR

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, at 8:25 AM, K0WDO Will Osborn via groups.io wrote:
I made my first contact on the N75a to Stan, K0HGP in MN, 507 miles from me here in Kansas. I’m tickled pink!

Rex thanks for the tip on this! I hopped on 3730 this morning and heard quite a few fellows, you were just a hair below my noise level with QSB but could make you out about half the time.

Regarding the receiver side, I’ve noticed mine is very sensitive also. Really enjoying the new rig.

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 16, 2020, at 11:49 PM, Rex K0KP <rex@...> wrote:
Approximately 7:30AM Central Time on 3730 KHz, nice round table includes stations from MN, IA, and WI.  All welcome.

K0WDO Will Osborn

That’s great Mark! Good luck on the build and I look forward to working you on AM.

I very much appreciate the report! Glad I made it to Iowa.

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 17, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Mark Hansen <popsthepaddler@...> wrote:

[...]

We’re not sure how often it will be Tim?
We can shoot for every Saturday?

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com