Topics

Original Tenna Dipper -- help

bleepingbeep

I'm trying to resurrect an old Tenna Dipper that was offered by 4SQRP around 2004.

The problem is that the Morse Code annunciator is mute.   On power up it's supposed to send "TDV1", but I hear nothing.  If  I hold the program button down, it's supposed to scroll audibly through the options.  Again I hear nothing.

I suspect there's a problem with the PIC, a 12C508.  If anyone has a programmed PIC they could send me, I'd very happily pay for it.  On the other hand, if anyone has the code and could share it, I could program the chip myself.

Any help or pointers much appreciated.  Thanks and 73.

Jerry AA6KI
Tucson

bleepingbeep

Chapter Two:  One step forward and one step back

The PIC wasn't to blame for the silence. I put a scope on the output from the 74HC00 (pin 3) to the speaker.  Pressing and holding the program button produced a stream of
raggedy but lovely square waves (amplitude ~2-3Vpp).  Clearly the PIC was sending Morse as it was supposed to.

The problem had to be a faulty speaker. I removed it and temporarily put an LED in its place. It clearly flashed Morse. Then I connected a different speaker.  It worked fine, and I thought I had the problem solved.

But no.  On power up, the chip sends "V2".  Oops, that's not the right ID.  According to a note that came with the kit, it indicates the PIC was one of an early batch that were
incorrectly programmed.

So I'm back where I started, still needing a correctly programmed PIC, or alternatively, the code.

Thanks for reading.

Jerry AA6KI
Tucson

John - KK4ITX

Jerry,

Dan Taylor, N7VE and Steve Weber, KD1JV were responsible for putting this dipper package together.  Both of them show on QRZ with email addresses.  Perhaps they can help ?

V2 would’t be the battery voltage by chance ?

Good luck,

John
KK4ITX