Topics

Original Tenna Dipper plus SSS reminder

John Lonigro

John and Jerry:
I just checked the kit page on the 4SQRP website and the "builder's alert" clearly states that if it sends V2 at startup, it is one of the early chips that had been incorrectly programmed.  However, it also states that it may still function, but not as stably as the corrected chip, so Jerry probably has a functional device, only not as good as it would be with the corrected software.

You are right that contacting Steve, KD1JV, might be the best way to get the updated chip, if it is still available.  Or, as Jerry suggests, if Steve doesn't mind, he could send Jerry the code so he could reprogram it himself.  He may not wish to do that if the code is "proprietary" to someone.

DON'T FORGET!  The August Second Sunday SPRINT is this Sunday night, 7:00-9:00pm CDT.

72,
John, AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator

On 8/6/20 7:27 AM, John - KK4ITX via groups.io wrote:
Jerry,

Dan Taylor, N7VE and Steve Weber, KD1JV were responsible for putting this dipper package together.  Both of them show on QRZ with email addresses.  Perhaps they can help ?

V2 would’t be the battery voltage by chance ?

Good luck,

John
KK4ITX

On Aug 5, 2020, at 22:17, bleepingbeep <bleepingbeep@...> wrote:

Chapter Two:  One step forward and one step back

The PIC wasn't to blame for the silence. I put a scope on the output from the 74HC00 (pin 3) to the speaker.  Pressing and holding the program button produced a stream of
raggedy but lovely square waves (amplitude ~2-3Vpp).  Clearly the PIC was sending Morse as it was supposed to.

The problem had to be a faulty speaker. I removed it and temporarily put an LED in its place. It clearly flashed Morse. Then I connected a different speaker.  It worked fine, and I thought I had the problem solved.

But no.  On power up, the chip sends "V2".  Oops, that's not the right ID.  According to a note that came with the kit, it indicates the PIC was one of an early batch that were
incorrectly programmed.

So I'm back where I started, still needing a correctly programmed PIC, or alternatively, the code.

Thanks for reading.

Jerry AA6KI
Tucson

John - KK4ITX

Thanks John for stepping in, I had checked the 4S site and did not see the page you referenced, I found my information on Duck Duck Go.

Is the “Builder’s Alert” Page a general resource ?

I’ll be there for the SSS but the noise here at this campground is is a real challenge.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Aug 6, 2020, at 09:46, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

[...]

bleepingbeep

John and John:  Thanks for your remarks.  I have been in touch with Steve KD1JV, and he said the code was not his but was added by 4SQRP.  In fact it was written by Dan Tayloe.  Another ham whose opinion I respect said that as far as he knew, the code was never released.

I received this Tenna Dipper from a ham who built it but had no luck in getting even a tiny spark of life. It was completely dead. So I bought it for the price of mailing and took it on as an exercise in troubleshooting.  Even though I haven't had 100% success, it's been a gratifying project. I appreciate knowing that it may yet be functional.

Regards,

Jerry AA6KI
4SQRP no. 261

John Lonigro

John:
If you go to the kit section of the 4SQRP website, there’s a section called “retired kits”. Under “Tenna Dipper” is a link called Builders Alert. That’s where I found that note.
72,
John, AA0VE