From: "Tim McDonough N9PUZ" <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
To: <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:18 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] Oscillator Suggestions

| Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
| In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
| different projects.
|
| Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
| some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
| oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
| a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
| just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.
|
| 73,
|
| Tim N9PUZ

Chuck Carpenter

Tim,

Rex has a little twin-T oscillator kit...

http://www.qrpme.com/?p=product&;id=MAO

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Donald Kelly

Tim,

This is a twin T that I use in one of my transceivers:

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Don_K5UOS/media/TwinTSidetone.jpg.html

This fun to make but kinda raspy:

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Don_K5UOS/media/100_0694.jpg.html

A Twin T is hard to beat, so is a phase shifter like Jim has in the MagicBox.
Simple and smoooth.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

| Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
| In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
| different projects.
|
| Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
| some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
| oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
| a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
| just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.
|
| 73,
|
| Tim N9PUZ

WA0ITP

DON,

What's this other beauty?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

| Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
| In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
| different projects.
|
| Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
| some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
| oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
| a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
| just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.
|
| 73,
|
| Tim N9PUZ

Wayne Dillon

Boy that sure is a beauty!
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM, WA0ITP <wa0itp@...> wrote:

DON,

What's this other beauty?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

| Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
| In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
| different projects.
|
| Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
| some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
| oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
| a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
| just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.
|
| 73,
|
| Tim N9PUZ

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Jim Kortge

On 3/24/2013 10:18 PM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ wrote:
Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
different projects.

Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.

73,

Tim N9PUZ
Tim,

I'd suggest using the side tone oscillator from the MagicBox. It is a phase shift design and has very low harmonic content.

72,

Jim, K8IQY

Donald Kelly

Hi Guys!

The photo is an inside view of the front panel of one of my 40M transceivers. Obviously, I don't build too much small stuff as its as big a breadbox (a small one).

Specifically this photo - the little silver thing is a mini-speaker for the side tone. To the left (with the variable capacitor) is the local oscillator (receiver tunes 7.0 to about 7.125MHz). The IF is 9.216MHz using a homebrew ladder filter. The receiver is a single conversion superhet built completely ugly style.

The board below the speaker is the product detector and audio sections. Most of the detector and audio amps are really a KK7B Hi-performance direct conversion receiver. Up to the audio PA which is an LM380 14 pin IC.

Below the audio board is the receiver front end. I borrowed a lot from the K2 design. The whole receiver is built in modules. I plan to rebuild some of the rig and the large case and easy to get to mounting makes it simple to pull a board and rebuild (experiment).

It is a 25W transceiver at this time. I plan to add a PIN drive control sometime.

I built the rig recently rather than upgrading an older 14W transceiver which I built in the 80's. This transceiver has QSK.

I have worked Terry and Wayne on this rig before and I actually had the net in mind while deciding on the tuning range.

Thanks for asking. I love building stuff, klunky as my gear is. Tube gear most of all!

72/73

Don

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "WA0ITP" <wa0itp@...> wrote:

DON,

What's this other beauty?
http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Don_K5UOS/media/100_0705-1.jpg.html

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

| Good evening gang. Well, we got plenty of snow here in central Illinois.
| In between other projects and naps I've been thinking about some
| different projects.
|
| Any suggestions for a moderately simple transistor based (vs. an I.C. of
| some sort) audio oscillator? I'd like something for a practice
| oscillator, sidetone, etc. that isn't all raspy and nasty sounding like
| a 555 timer based circuit. Doesn't have to drive a speaker directly, I'd
| just like a nice sine wave that I could couple into a separate small amp.
|
| 73,
|
| Tim N9PUZ

Phil Anderson

I'd second what Jim said. Phase shift oscillators are easy to wire and you can do it with a transistor or an op-amp. Just use three 60 degree RC phase shifts plus the inversion of the active part itself. One problem with these is that the output is low in voltage........

Second, a bit unusual, use a 74HC14 inverter IC.........google perhaps <74hc14 oscillator> for schematic and follow that with a passive low-pass filter.

Unc Phil

Sam Binkley <zut1369@...>

I've seen a lot of Don's gear and it is anything but "klunky" !

72,73

Sam Binkley, AL7V
from rainy Juneau, AK

 Donald wrote:

Thanks for asking. I love building stuff, klunky as my gear is. Tube gear most of all!

72/73

Don

Donald Kelly

Hey Sam,

We got together Saturday morning at Ingrid's! The food is not as good but the company was great!

We talked about our favorite hamfests, 80M antennas and a new TEN TEC rig.

Miss ya buddy!

K5UOS

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Sam Binkley <zut1369@...> wrote:

I've seen a lot of Don's gear and it is anything but "klunky" !

72,73

Sam Binkley, AL7V
from rainy Juneau, AK

________________________________
 Donald <DKELLY42@...> wrote:
<snip>

Thanks for asking. I love building stuff, klunky as my gear is. Tube gear most of all!

72/73

Don

Bill Cromwell

On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 21:22 -0500, WA0ITP wrote:

A Twin T is hard to beat, so is a phase shifter like Jim has in the
MagicBox.
Simple and smoooth.
Hi,

The twin T would be my recommendation, too.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g0xan/twin-t.htm

Best of luck with your project and best

73,

Bill KU8H