locked OT - Is it a sign...

AG1P Ron

GE Everyone,

Is it a sign that you are reverting back to childhood when you start using Kc instead of KHz when sharing frequency info? Should this behavior be considered worrisome?

72 - Ron - AG1P

Johnny AC0BQ

I think it is Ron!!
I used cycles for years before it got converted to Hertz.
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:24 PM AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

GE Everyone,

Is it a sign that you are reverting back to childhood when you start using Kc instead of KHz when sharing frequency info? Should this behavior be considered worrisome?

72 - Ron - AG1P

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Walter - K5EST

Naw Ron! 

Actually a KHz is just a growed up and hair'd  over Kc :-)

Walter - K5EST - WD

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 22:24 AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

GE Everyone,

72 - Ron - AG1P

Everett Catlin

First ticket 1964. Cycles OK with Me.I guess I am reverting back to my childhood.

Ev Catlin WA2BHS
Formerly N5MZX just received my dad's old call

Virus-free. www.avg.com

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Ron,

Not at all. KC was used alot from myself and others for years. The khz and mhz usage was made common from wet behind the ears engineers who couldnt understand the Kc abbreviation and demanded we go to the metric way.

I prefer the old ways. makes sense and We have lost alot of the old way knowledge which actually surpasses todays technology. In my own crusty opinion.

Its easier on CW too.HI HI 
So i guess ive been in my childhood years for over 40 years.

My problems started whenever i opened up a newer rig to adjust the circuits of the finals to peak them and set the neutralization, couldnt find the dang nabbed tubes.HI HI.

David
AC9XH

On Friday, May 13, 2022, 05:42:34 AM EDT, Everett Catlin <everettcatlin68@...> wrote:

First ticket 1964. Cycles OK with Me.I guess I am reverting back to my childhood.

Ev Catlin WA2BHS
Formerly N5MZX just received my dad's old call

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Rick Bennett

Is there a need for a support group for kilocycle users. Hi

de Rick, KC0PET

Walter - K5EST

Now I'm smile'n like a mule eating cactus :-)

Viva kc's

Walter - K5EST - WD

On Fri, May 13, 2022, 08:19 Rick Bennett via groups.io <kc0pet=embarqmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

de Rick, KC0PET

nm0s_qrp

I last used kilocycles when I was measuring a variable condenser for my crystal set.

Jim Sheldon

I had a heck of a time converting from KC/MC while I was teaching electronics & R-390 receiver repair in the Army back in the early 70's when things really started to change.  Took me a couple of years to get used to the current KHz and MHz but now it would be difficult to go back if old Heinrich Hertz ever falls out of favor, LOL.

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------
From "nm0s_qrp" <nm0s@...>
Date 5/13/2022 8:40:28 AM
Subject Re: [4SQRP] OT - Is it a sign...

I last used kilocycles when I was measuring a variable condenser for my crystal set.

O-B-1

Kill-O-Cycle...
That's what I called a steep hill at 7,000 ft elevation that I was riding my mountain bike up...
Too old to Kill-O-Cycle now...

Yeah... A big chunk-o-me is Irish...😆

73-Dave-KJ7WUZ

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 6:57, Jim Sheldon
<w0eb@...> wrote:
I had a heck of a time converting from KC/MC while I was teaching electronics & R-390 receiver repair in the Army back in the early 70's when things really started to change.  Took me a couple of years to get used to the current KHz and MHz but now it would be difficult to go back if old Heinrich Hertz ever falls out of favor, LOL.

Jim - W0EB

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Now it Hz too much!

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM O-B-1 via groups.io <dwmitchell61=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kill-O-Cycle...
That's what I called a steep hill at 7,000 ft elevation that I was riding my mountain bike up...
Too old to Kill-O-Cycle now...

Yeah... A big chunk-o-me is Irish...😆

73-Dave-KJ7WUZ

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 6:57, Jim Sheldon
<w0eb@...> wrote:

Jim - W0EB

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

I've always been somewhat dumbfounded (Bennet would remove "somewhat" and "founded") as to why professional engineers who pride themselves on precision, including precision of language, ever allowed cycle-terminology to be obliterated by a man's name in the first place!

The phrase "cycles per second" carries a lot of information.  The word "Hertz" carries nothing.

I'm all for the memorialization of the dead.  Three generations of my family have dedicated themselves to just that field of service.  Honoring our electronic pioneers is extremely worthwhile in educating all of us and (in my opinion) has always been done best when chronicled in history books, on geographical plaques, by special events, through temporary signage on Hamvention buildings, and other creative ways.

But not in scientific nomenclature.  Not in electronic vocabulary.  And not when indicating frequencies on the air.

Kent  K9ZTV
(Posted at 1452 GMT)

On May 13, 2022, at 8:19 AM, Rick Bennett via groups.io <kc0pet@...> wrote:

de Rick, KC0PET

John Lonigro

On the other hand, nobody complains about Ohms or Farads or Watts or Joules or Coulombs, etc.

John, AA0VE

On 5/13/22 09:41, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV wrote:
I've always been somewhat dumbfounded (Bennet would remove "somewhat" and "founded") as to why professional engineers who pride themselves on precision, including precision of language, ever allowed cycle-terminology to be obliterated by a man's name in the first place!

The phrase "cycles per second" carries a lot of information.  The word "Hertz" carries nothing.

I'm all for the memorialization of the dead.  Three generations of my family have dedicated themselves to just that field of service.  Honoring our electronic pioneers is extremely worthwhile in educating all of us and (in my opinion) has always been done best when chronicled in history books, on geographical plaques, by special events, through temporary signage on Hamvention buildings, and other creative ways.

But not in scientific nomenclature.  Not in electronic vocabulary.  And not when indicating frequencies on the air.

Kent  K9ZTV
(Posted at 1452 GMT)

de Rick, KC0PET

Ken Bauer

Or Volts, Amperes, Webers, Joules, Gauss … Seems like the continuation of a trend

There was a tongue-in-cheek article in 73 or Ham Radio magazine in the late sixties that supplied five or six different kinds of graphs, some quite elaborate, to help us hams and engineers in converting to the new units. Would be fun to re-read if anyone recalls the issue.

Ken WC6Y

On May 13, 2022, at 8:09 AM, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

On the other hand, nobody complains about Ohms or Farads or Watts or Joules or Coulombs, etc.

John, AA0VE

On 5/13/22 09:41, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV wrote:

Kent  K9ZTV
(Posted at 1452 GMT)

de Rick, KC0PET

w9ran

We here in 8-9 land have had a Vintage Sideband Net on Saturday mornings for the past 5 years or so.  It's a light-hearted net that celebrates the quirks and occasional "smoke and flames" from our "vintage sideband junk", and the net frequency is explicitly stated in "kilo-CYCLES"!

For proof you can listen to the first 40 seconds of the recording at  http://www.vintagessb.net/

As in the vintage sideband days, we fail to add "per second" which is what got someone's knickers  in a knot about this terminology in the first place.  But these memorialized names make convenient shorthand without losing any meaning, otherwise we'd be forced to say "joules per coulomb" instead of volts.

73, Bob W9RAN

Curt

Yep when using a vintage rig with dial labeled in kc why not. How often do we use slang in other things. 100 bucks. Whatever. When everyone knows when we say 7040.2 it's a 40m frequency that works. Now in professional work of course I hope I always use units with a space after number, and never start with a decimal point. 

Here rig is transmitting 0.005 kW sometimes. Maybe on 7039 kilobytes. Yeah per second not minute. 

Curt

Curt

Darn spell basher. 7039 kilocycles. Okay someone has case Android doesn't recognize it. 

William Franklin

Goodness gracious, folks!  Here we go with them derned kilocycles and hertz, again.  My "old sparky" didn't have any of them things.  It put out a signal on a wavelength, more or less, in meters, or metres if you are one of them furriners.  Old sparky actually used up a bunch of them cycles!  And, we had aerials in them days, not any of them fancy things called antennas.  Nothin' prettier than the signal coming through a crystal set into a Cannonball headphone.  Anybody out there ever order a crystal set from the Johnson Smith Company which was located in Mt. Clemens, MI in the late '40s or early '50s? 

73, Bill, K5WB

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of AG1P Ron <ag1p@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 10:25 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Subject: [4SQRP] OT - Is it a sign...

GE Everyone,

72 - Ron - AG1P

n4mj

Licensed in April 1961 - being able to speak/recognize Kc and Kz means you are ham radio 'bilingual'. hi hi, or lol for no coders.
n4mj//glenn

PLEASE REMOVE all email addresses before you send it on and use BCC option when forwarding"
  Thank you! 

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 10:24:57 PM CDT, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

GE Everyone,

72 - Ron - AG1P

n4mj

re: Rick, WC0PET, support group for kilocycle users.  Only if one has been harmed by a 'kilocycle', as in having been run over, or fallen off one's kilocycle.
73 de n4mj//glenn

PLEASE REMOVE all email addresses before you send it on and use BCC option when forwarding"
  Thank you! 

On Friday, May 13, 2022, 08:19:02 AM CDT, Rick Bennett via groups.io <kc0pet@...> wrote:

de Rick, KC0PET