OZ-17 build underway

Guy Mengel

Edited

Hi all,
I am always looking for something to build or test or study. I found the oz-17 kit ( I bought 2) one for 17m and the other I am bouncing between 30 and 40m. I do like to build smd even though my eyesight is not what it used to be ( I’m 65)
I have finished the 17 m board and will be adding the connectors and boxing it.. I am debating between 2 Hammond enclosures.
I have not decided whether to add a frequency display ( noisy) or develop a Morse code frequency readout by pushing a button…
I am having a pleasant time building this.
I recommend it highly.. it WILL improve ones skills with the iron, magnifiers and tweezers. It states it is an advanced kit, but patience and not too much coffee will get you far with this kit.

Here is the link to some google photos. Remember the board is quite small, if you zoom up too far you will see some things that look awful… but then anything looks awful zoomed up.. the parts are not big.. you will see some normal sized diodes and zeners for perspective as well as my build area..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EDu9AQvFueNrAvQAA

Comments are welcomed and encouraged.
I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Guy
Nice work on the 17.
If you need a freq mite freq counter 
We brought them back and they are in stock.

I have one of these I need to build.
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 8:50 PM Guy Mengel <guy@...> wrote:
Hi all,
I  am always looking for something to build or test or study.  I found the oz-17 kit ( I bought 2) one for 17m and the other I am bouncing between 30 and 40m.  I do like to build smd even though my eyesight is not what it used to be ( I’m 65)   
I have finished the 17 m board and will be adding the connectors and boxing it.. I am debating between t Hammond enclosures.
I have not decided whether to add a frequency display ( noisy) or develop a Morse code frequency readout by pushing a button…
I recommend it highly.. it WILL improve ones skills with the iron, magnifiers and tweezers.  It states it is an advanced kit, but patience and not too much coffee will get you far with this kit.

Here is the link to some google photos.  Remember the board is quite small, if you zoom up too far you will see some things that look awful… but then anything looks awful zoomed up.. the parts are not big.. you will see some normal sized diodes and zeners for perspective as well as my build area..

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

davemrtn

Guy, very good work building with the smd components.

Something to proud of. 

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar. -----------------------------------------
Wherever I go, there He is.

On 5/24/2021 5:38 PM, Guy Mengel wrote:
Hi all,
I  am always looking for something to build or test or study.  I found the oz-17 kit ( I bought 2) one for 17m and the other I am bouncing between 30 and 40m.  I do like to build smd even though my eyesight is not what it used to be ( I’m 65)
I have finished the 17 m board and will be adding the connectors and boxing it.. I am debating between t Hammond enclosures.
I recommend it highly.. it WILL improve ones skills with the iron, magnifiers and tweezers.  It states it is an advanced kit, but patience and not too much coffee will get you far with this kit.

Here is the link to some google photos.  Remember the board is quite small, if you zoom up too far you will see some things that look awful… but then anything looks awful zoomed up.. the parts are not big.. you will see some normal sized diodes and zeners for perspective as well as my build area..

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

Curt

Guy

Wonderful work it looks nice. When I built a nc2030 I remember it was challenging to get the parts out of the paper tape package, I found draftsman dividers a tray like yours and keeping them on the surface to slide them into place. 

I am remembering this to be vcxo?  Try just mechanical marks 1 kHz apart as an experiment it works for my 38s. I only put a freqmite in my sw40 when I expanded it some. Reminds me I have a normal, new England and 4state rigs all needing some air time. Okay a scorpion also. Enjoy your radiation with it. 

Curt

Guy Mengel

Hi Johnny,
I just ordered 3 of them. I remember these from way back.. I used them before. I did not see that they were available again!
Thanks!
Guy

Guy Mengel

I just noted that there is a subgroup for the OZ-17. Perhaps these discussions belong there. (?)

I would like to get some others interested in spending $58 to build something that is somewhat challenging..

I will be posting how I packaged, and test results for this VCXO rig.
I hope all are well
73 (72)
Guy

I hope all are well
73 (72)
Guy

N1GMM

Bobby Drummond

Guy:

Where is the OZ-17 kit available from?  I did a quick Internet search but was not successful finding anything on it.

73 de AK4JA

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 9:50 PM Guy Mengel <guy@...> wrote:
Hi all,
I  am always looking for something to build or test or study.  I found the oz-17 kit ( I bought 2) one for 17m and the other I am bouncing between 30 and 40m.  I do like to build smd even though my eyesight is not what it used to be ( I’m 65)   
I recommend it highly.. it WILL improve ones skills with the iron, magnifiers and tweezers.  It states it is an advanced kit, but patience and not too much coffee will get you far with this kit.

Here is the link to some google photos.  Remember the board is quite small, if you zoom up too far you will see some things that look awful… but then anything looks awful zoomed up.. the parts are not big.. you will see some normal sized diodes and zeners for perspective as well as my build area..

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

--
73 de AK4JA

Paul Goemans

It is an Ozark 17, right on the 4 State QRP Group kits list. Unknown abbreviation threw me off at first too!

Paul Goemans
Stoughton, WI

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 6:46 AM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OZ-17 build underway

Guy:

Where is the OZ-17 kit available from?  I did a quick Internet search but was not successful finding anything on it.

73 de AK4JA

Hi all,

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

--
73 de AK4JA

gary Lyons

Bobby,

The O17 is listed on the 4SQRP kits page,

Gary/Af7t

bsheldon

Guy,
  I am currently building two O-17's. one of them is complete but still needs
some tweaking. I need to shift the receive frequency down and take care of the 
unstable transmit at the low end of the range.
  Both of these problems were mentioned in the manual as well as some
possible fixes. I have some parts on order.
  I used the Hammond box mentioned in the manual.
It was a tight fit but possible with the pots included in the kit.

Glad to hear someone else is currently building this kit.

Brad -AB8NO

WA0ITP

HI   BOBBY
THE O-17 ORDER PAGE IS HERE  http://www.4sqrp.com/O-17. ENJOY THE BUILD IT I S A FB LITTLE RIG.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 6:47 AM Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...> wrote:

Guy:

Where is the OZ-17 kit available from?  I did a quick Internet search but was not successful finding anything on it.

73 de AK4JA

Hi all,

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

--
73 de AK4JA

--

Bobby Drummond

4460T
Alrightty, makes sense now..  I was thinking maybe it was an Australian-designed kit or something at first.  Silly me.

The post coming through 4States group should have been a clue that I could have used but I got lazy and sent the question.

73 de AK4JA

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Paul Goemans <wa9pwp@...> wrote:
It is an Ozark 17, right on the 4 State QRP Group kits list. Unknown abbreviation threw me off at first too!

Paul Goemans
Stoughton, WI

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 6:46 AM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OZ-17 build underway

Guy:

Where is the OZ-17 kit available from?  I did a quick Internet search but was not successful finding anything on it.

73 de AK4JA

Hi all,

I hope all are well

Guy, N1GMM

--
73 de AK4JA

--
73 de AK4JA

Guy Mengel

I made a request to Join the O17 subgroup.. VERY few postings there. Lets see if we can change that ;-)
Guy

bsheldon

I also made a request to the O-17 subgroup.
Hope to see others join.
Brad