Topics

Ozark Banner

Keith Arns

The August edition of the Ozark Banner is now available for you to download.  Hope you enjoy it.

Keith Arns
KC0PP
Editor

n4mj

That's a great 'Banner' Keith.  I have looked it over quickly and plan to re-read it later when I have more time.

Thanks for letting us know it was online.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Saturday, August 17, 2019, 10:50:38 AM CDT, Keith Arns via Groups.Io <kc0pp@...> wrote:

The August edition of the Ozark Banner is now available for you to download.  Hope you enjoy it.

Keith Arns
KC0PP
Editor

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

Thank you to Keith and all of the authors for another nice issue of the Banner!

I like to do SOTA activations when I'm able; the nearest "summits" are about 3 hours away from my home. To get my "fix" I also participate in the POTA (Parks On The Air) program since there are several of those to choose from within an hours drive and even a couple within about 20 minutes.

I really enjoyed the post on portable masts. Because of the various park regulations and also because I can be kind of lazy I often extend my mast with the wire attached and then taking the direction of the prevailing wind into consideration I just lean the pole into a tree. Works well and even a Conservation Officer who stopped where I was operating once never said a thing after looking at it.

I have three of the Jackite brand poles and highly recommend them for their ruggedness. My first one (28 ft) is about 20 years old now and is still going strong. Before installing a tower at home it was used outdoors for about 18 months straight as the center support for a NorCal Doublet which was my only HF antenna at the time. The lettering on the pole faded but aside from that it's in great condition.

Tim N9PUZ

On 8/17/2019 10:50 AM, Keith Arns via Groups.Io wrote:
The August edition of the Ozark Banner is now available for you to download.  Hope you enjoy it.

Keith Arns
KC0PP
Editor

w9ran

On 8/17/2019 3:00 PM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ wrote:
Because of the various park regulations and also because I can be kind of lazy I often extend my mast with the wire attached and then taking the direction of the prevailing wind into consideration I just lean the pole into a tree.
Another nice thing about Jackite poles is they fit perfectly into EMT (conduit) hanger clamps that can be found at any home improvement store:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-ACC-Conduit-Hanger-67820/202077114

By bolting two hanger clamps back-to-back, you have a way to attach the Jackite pole to another round pipe, like the ladder on an RV, fencepost, etc.    With a little work you can make a vertical support that fits into a standard receiver type hitch with a couple of these clamps that will support a 30 ft. Jackite pole without guys.   An old hitch type bike rack provides all the raw material needed.

The performance of a 30'  antenna with three 30' counterpoise wires equals that of nearly any home antenna on 40 meters and does a good job on all bands with a tuner (or preferably an autotuner at the base).   And if you come up with a way to attach it to your vehicle you can avoid any regulatory issues and be on the air in well under 10 minutes.

73,  Bob W9RAN

Tom Sevart

Good article on 10m E-skip in the Banner. The idea of listening to the 28.200-.300 beacon band is a great idea to see when the band is open, as well as the popular 10-10 freq. I operate a 10m beacon on 28.2095 and it's always interesting to see where my beacon's being heard. And one trick I often use is to listen for skip on the 11 meter CB band, 27.025 in particular. When I hear signals there, I'll move up to 10m. And so far with all the rain and storms we've had this summer, seems like E-skip has been pretty active.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS