ozark patrol receiver

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

anyyone build the ozark patrol receiver? if so do any of you think a dds vfo can be added?

73
David
ac9xh

Curt

David

The Ozark Patrol is an impressive AM receiver, amazing its agc behavior. With care cw can be tuned in, but there are better regens for receiving cw.

Now a regen combines oscillator, mixer and amplifier into one stage. So connecting a dds as vfo eliminates regeneration. So I would answer no.

I have built and operated many different regens. I highly recommend the experience. As kits were then in short supply, I had the parts so I homebrewed mine. But the kit if still available has a nice front panel. Folk have connected frequency counters to their regen.

Curt wb8yyy

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Curt,

Been looking at the available kits on the main 4sqrp site and read about it briefly.

I homebrew alot and built many regens including the low voltage tube receivers. They are all fun. Been building since early 70s

73
David
ac9xh

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Curt ,
look at the youtube video on 1.5vdc regenerative receiver and then look at the one with added  freq  counter. i mis wrote dds vfo. meant freq counter. seen the video on the ozark. pretty good

Curt

David

The main thing when attaching a counter to an oscillator is to weakly couple it. If the oscillator reaches a buffered stage, couple it from there. Regardless try using a very small value capacitor, perhaps 2 to 5 pF. Yes a regen stage is an oscillator. Build and keep experiencing.

Curt

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Edited

Curt ,
thanks for your input Curt.

Ive already built similar rigs. I was trying to ask others if they have thought about doing this, not how to do it.but good points. Im trying to get others to warm up the soldering iron and build.and maybe think out of the box. I have  used several with different transmitters for qsos.

Started repairing an/grc-109s,prc radios,teletype equipment in the US Army Reserves in the Signal corp. Then went to work modifying,repairing and testing and building projects  professionally, . sold all my equipment like the spectrum analyzer ,oscope,bridges, signal generators, etc. just have a fluke handheld multimeter, logic probe and pulser,dummy load,variac, dip meter , frequnecy counters(calibrated),variable pwr supply(Still using my old Lambda power supply), swr meter,soldering iron and lots  solder wick HI HI for all the mistakes i make.ONe of my signal meters was a boonten if i recall,might be wrong though. been decades since i used it.It was old school equipment. Not like todays equipment.

besides the kits, im striving for a complete homebrewed station.. building some for my Son .it will be there for him even after im gone.
Also putting together a complete 4sqrp station . awhile back recently purchased the cricket 80 but havent assembled it yet due to lack of solder at the time.HI HI. will be purchasing most of their kits and accessories for a complete station with various options. Sold my icom 746. even though i loved the 6 meters on it, ive built a transistor based 6 meter transceiver that runs on 9vdc to 12vdc. depending on the source voltage is what you will get out in power., Its capable of CW and SSB. used the sb1 mixer, varactor diodes for tuning,some of the tuning cans came from some CBs, uses a d-104 astatic microphone wired up to it.Qrp CW,SSB .

Been QRP since licensed, and followed Doug Demaw, and George Dobbs religiously when they were active. Have alot of their works in my Library to show respect for their contributions to the Hobby and also to have some of the best QRP info on the planet.

regens are basic info for beginners. testing them and repairing them are at the same level. Simple.
I even love using ceramic resonators. even though limited on bands,on the market, 40 meters is plenty. They are very stable. You might try them in your regens. It makes them more pleasant to listen to.Also a fellow ham designed a regen with ceramic filter and with audio filters  . I came across this little design on the web,and due to rules here,i wont list the ham or the name of this regen, but I believe that this simple design ,you can add a digital vfo to this rig. just have to change some of the components to match impedances and coupling .Its a single signal regen.pretty creative this ham was.This regen would make a great companion for any 4sqrp rig.

YES adding a digital vfo is possible in my own opinion by substituting the ceramic resonator with the vfo and only if you build the unit "out of the box" so to speak. And with using a ceramic resonator one can eliminate the LC  portion of the regenerative receiver..At least several hams have successfully built ceramic resonator regens without the LC circuit.Im one of them

73
David
ac9xh

Larry ns4q

Tnx David for your posting

Wonderful perspective on doing more with less.

There is much to be learned and enjoyed by building gear and sharing the experience. Especially on-air
Good for the soul.

No parts?  No problem. Local thrift stores for consumer devices, radio clubs and on-line sources.
Hamfest season is here. Post needs on news groups and club resources.

Doug Demaw and George Dobbs are surely smiling at our workbenches.

Home-Brew on

72 all,
Larry ns4q..

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

tnx Larry,

Yes ,Doug demaw and George Dobbs were my heros in ham radio. To the point and very thorough on their descriptions.

My favorite spots are Goodwill, Salvation Army Stores, and then i hit up the repair shops and pawn shops for thrown out equipment,And of course ,i go alley picking before and after Christmas. This is when people throw out their "old"junk for new stuff

used to be a couple of nets on the air  discussing building stuff but havent checked for any of them for years.Dont know if they are still on.Maybe the nets that 4sqrp might decide to old a sprint or something with 4sqrp only transceivers. That would be neat.

73
David
ac9xh

gud thru hamcall.net,qrzcq.com and FCC

David Todd <ac9xh@...>

Larry and all,

Hope to meet up on the bands and we all continue to do more with less,Proving QRP is the King.

73
David
ac9xh

gud thru hamcall,qrzcq.com and FCC