OzarkCon University Program Change

AG1P Ron

GE Everyone,

Dave has informed me that he is changing his lecture to one more in keeping with current events. The lecture, held Friday afternoon, is now:

------------------------

EMP CME and the Electronic Apocalypse

"With continued geopolitical unrest among nuclear powers and the total ubiquity of electronics in every aspect of modern life, there is a concern over catastrophic events that could have the potential to disrupt and alter life as we know it. The threats of EMP (electromagnetic pulse) and CME (coronal mass discharge) are real and, should they occur, the results would impact the lives of millions. The physics behind these threats are analyzed, their effects and potential for damage estimated, and means to protect against them examined. Additionally, the use of EMP as a weapon is analyzed from a strategic standpoint, and non-nuclear threats to the electrical grid considered"

------------------------------

There are still seats available if you are attending OzarkCon and would like to participate.

Please contact me off list with questions, comments or registration requests at my call at earthlink dot net.

72 - Ron - AG1P

OzarkCon U Volunteer Registrar

4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

Paul AI4EE

Just curious. What are Dave's qualifications to speak on these topics?

On 3/26/2022 9:48 PM, AG1P Ron wrote:

[...]

Steve MIller

He's an engineer at Collins Radio

On Sunday, March 27, 2022, 02:16:07 PM CDT, Paul AI4EE <nadie1943@...> wrote:

[...]

W6BOW

Dave's bona fides look OK to me.

Does anyone remember ham radio's participation in the CONALRAD alert program?

I don't believe that we are anywhere even remotely near a return to those old "Cold War" days.

Nonetheless Daves's topic seems to me to be timely, cogent, and most entirely worthy,

Just my opinion.

Would that I could be at OzarkCon 2022 for Dave's presentation and all else.

Next year!

Respectfully,

DON - W6BOW

w2sh@...

Yup,

It was CONELRAD (CONtrol of ELectromagnetic RADiation).  Hams were obliged to QRT when the alert signal was broadcast on AM and FM radio. It lasted until 1963 when a different system applied.

I must contradict Don to say that we ARE at, not just near, "those old "Cold War" days.  We have in front of us in 2014 and again in 2022 Vladimir Putin's re-Stalinization of Russia, effectively a restoration of the USSR.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

--
Charles Moizeau, W2SH

W6BOW

Chas,

I'm getting out of my depth now.
Let's all hope that I'm right and you are wrong on this.
We do live in "interesting times" and that's for sure.

I apologize to any extent that I may have politicized this 4SQRP (safe space) forum.
My point - and I should have left it at that - was/is that the topic is timely and relevant. On this I think we can both agree.

Respectfully,

Don - W6BOW