Topics

Parts list for beginning builder

Jeremy Utley

Hey all!

Want some advice from the experts, as I sit here in Branson after the presentations. During Joe (K0NEB)'s presentation on kit building, he recommended getting a bunch of "common" parts (resistors, caps, etc) and keeping them on hand in case you need them.  As a beginning builder, I was thinking I don't have much of a junk box built up currently, and I wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?  Know of someplace that sells a "grab bag" of common stuff?  Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Hi Jeremy,

Furturlec.com sells what they call “value packs.”  These are an assortment of different resistors, capacitors, etc.  They are very reasonably priced.  You can see them here.

<http://futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml>

Please note that it takes about weeks to get them from Hong Kong.

Jerry W5JH

"building something without experimenting is just solder practice"

From: 4sqrp@... [mailto:4sqrp@...] On Behalf Of Jeremy Utley
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:30 PM
To: 4sqrp@...
Subject: [4sqrp] Parts list for beginning builder

Hey all!

Want some advice from the experts, as I sit here in Branson after the presentations. During Joe (K0NEB)'s presentation on kit building, he recommended getting a bunch of "common" parts (resistors, caps, etc) and keeping them on hand in case you need them.  As a beginning builder, I was thinking I don't have much of a junk box built up currently, and I wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?  Know of someplace that sells a "grab bag" of common stuff?  Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

I should say it takes about 3 weeks to receive the parts.

From: 4sqrp@... [mailto:4sqrp@...] On Behalf Of Jerry Haigwood
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:09 PM
To: 4sqrp@...; 'Jeremy Utley'
Subject: RE: [4sqrp] Parts list for beginning builder

Hi Jeremy,

Furturlec.com sells what they call “value packs.”  These are an assortment of different resistors, capacitors, etc.  They are very reasonably priced.  You can see them here.

<http://futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml>

Please note that it takes about weeks to get them from Hong Kong.

Jerry W5JH

"building something without experimenting is just solder practice"

From: 4sqrp@... [mailto:4sqrp@...] On Behalf Of Jeremy Utley
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:30 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] Parts list for beginning builder

Hey all!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

Charlie Vest

Jeremy , there are probably several other people that are in the same position that you are . Perhaps on some things there could be a "group buy" done . Mouser usually has some VERY good prices when you buy most items in quantity .
Be careful buying China parts on eBay . Some are not what they appear to be or what they are advertised as , when you begin to peel back the layers .

Disk ceramics are something that may seem like a trivial item , but it is better to know that you are getting quality parts for several reasons . One that applies to all parts , is make sure the quality is good enough to be able to reliably reproduce your circuit or projects .

Transistors are another China item that may or very well may not be the same specs as what you think you are buying .

Maybe some individual or club could take on a project to provide a builder/hobbyist assortment to start a good junk box .

Naturally an assortment of toroids should be a part of any junk box and Diz might even be convinced to make up an assortment package .

Just a few thoughts . Hope to make it over there next year and meet a lot of you in person .

Charlie , W5COV

On 4/6/2013 7:30 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:

Hey all!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

Barney <barneyro@...>

Jameco, and I guess others, has an assortment of resistors and capacitors meant to refill a parts cabinet drawers.  These are from about $15.00 and up depending on their tolerance. During a build I measure the components to see if they are close.  And sometimes they are a full 20% plus some!

Diz has a good assortment of toroids and transistors.

I've bought quite a few parts from Thailand and the jury is still out on them.  Transistors, diodes, zeners and so forth.  I'll have to wait and see what they do.

You are among some of the most talented kit builders there at Branson,  trap a couple of those guys, like Terry or Unka Phil and they can advise pretty good.
     Grab bags are sorta ok, but  it's  hard to figure out what they are.

Barney

Hey all!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/06/2013 19:30, Jeremy Utley wrote:

I
wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what
kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?
Resistors in common values 10 Ohm to 1 Megohm, lots of 1K's; lots of .1 and .01 uF caps as well as 1 uF, 10 uF, 47 uF, 100 uF electrolytics; 1N4001 and 4148 diodes; 3904 or 2N2222 transistors; 1K, 10K, and 100K pots; lots of different kinds of switches, rocker or toggle SPST, SPDT, DPDT (if you just get the DPDT you can use them as SPST & SPDT); LED's of different colors, mainly red & green but blue ones add some pizazz to a project; 8 Ohm impedence speakers; piezo buzzers; 555 timer IC's; 78L05 voltage regulartors; both stereo and mono 3.5mm headphone jacks; coaxial power jacks; SO-239's and/or panel mount BNC jacks.

I'm sure there's a lot more but this covers the basics. Then don't forget enclosures. Those computer peripheral A/B switch boxes or old CB's work well for QRP projects.

That reminds me that I need to make an order with my favorite electronics outlet because I'm running low on a lot of the stuff I just mentioned.

If you want I can put together a "starter kit" of some surplus items and send it to you. I know I've got a bunch of 2N2222's, probably far more than I'll ever use. I'm sure I've got a lot of other stuff I can spare as well.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

I really like these folks<http://www.vakits.com/>

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...> wrote:

> I
> wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what
> kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?

Resistors in common values 10 Ohm to 1 Megohm, lots of 1K's; lots of .1
and .01 uF caps as well as 1 uF, 10 uF, 47 uF, 100 uF electrolytics;
1N4001 and 4148 diodes; 3904 or 2N2222 transistors; 1K, 10K, and 100K
pots; lots of different kinds of switches, rocker or toggle SPST, SPDT,
DPDT (if you just get the DPDT you can use them as SPST & SPDT); LED's
of different colors, mainly red & green but blue ones add some pizazz to
a project; 8 Ohm impedence speakers; piezo buzzers; 555 timer IC's;
78L05 voltage regulartors; both stereo and mono 3.5mm headphone jacks;
coaxial power jacks; SO-239's and/or panel mount BNC jacks.

I'm sure there's a lot more but this covers the basics. Then don't
forget enclosures. Those computer peripheral A/B switch boxes or old
CB's work well for QRP projects.

That reminds me that I need to make an order with my favorite
electronics outlet because I'm running low on a lot of the stuff I just
mentioned.

If you want I can put together a "starter kit" of some surplus items and
send it to you. I know I've got a bunch of 2N2222's, probably far more
than I'll ever use. I'm sure I've got a lot of other stuff I can spare
as well.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"

Johnny AC0BQ

Hey Jeremy
The presentation from Joe was FB, as always.
I have been building for several years, and I might have a fair "junk box" built up.
I pick up extra parts with every order I make for repairs or projects. You can get a pretty good resistor pack at Rat Shack.
I bought an assortment of caps from Doug and one of the other groups a few years ago. 
It is hard to find  all the different parts at a one stop shop!
Just my thoughts.
Cul
Johnny AC0BQ

On Saturday, April 6, 2013, Charlie , W5COV wrote:

Jeremy , there are probably several other people that are in the same position that you are . Perhaps on some things there could be a "group buy" done . Mouser usually has some VERY good prices when you buy most items in quantity .
Be careful buying China parts on eBay . Some are not what they appear to be or what they are advertised as , when you begin to peel back the layers .

Disk ceramics are something that may seem like a trivial item , but it is better to know that you are getting quality parts for several reasons . One that applies to all parts , is make sure the quality is good enough to be able to reliably reproduce your circuit or projects .

Transistors are another China item that may or very well may not be the same specs as what you think you are buying .

Maybe some individual or club could take on a project to provide a builder/hobbyist assortment to start a good junk box .

Naturally an assortment of toroids should be a part of any junk box and Diz might even be convinced to make up an assortment package .

Just a few thoughts . Hope to make it over there next year and meet a lot of you in person .

Charlie , W5COV

Hey all!

Thanks!

Jeremy, N9PH

davidgeorgerichards

Yes - what Tom says!

I could sit down and give you a longish list of what I think you should get, adding a bit to Tom's list, but I think the best way to do it is for you to slowly, over time, build up your own stock that is designed to best serve your particular home-brewing interests. I know it's fun to buy grab bag-type assortments but you can often end up with a bunch of parts you don't actually use, fun as they are to sort through.

I don't know about you, but I spent many of my early days in this hobby reading up on construction projects in books and magazines and thinking about the kinds of things I wanted to build (Still do, actually). It would be well worth continuing to do this, but making regular notes of the kinds of parts that come up frequently.

I like to build circuits that have free-running VFO's, so a small stock of NPO's in most of the available values up to about 270pF are in my collection. I also have a small stash of polystyrene caps for the same purpose. If you're not into these kinds of circuits, you won't need these types of parts as much.

So apologies for not being very helpful, but I think that if you put the time into looking at the articles and circuits of lots of things you'd like to build, you'll get a much better idea of what to get than by following someone else's suggestions.

As I mentioned earlier, although grab bags are tempting, unless it's a collection specifically designed for the homebrewer, like the ones that various clubs have put out (NorCal did some good ones in the past), you may end up with a lot of parts of undetermined origin, quality and utility. Better in this case to order brand new parts yourself from a source such as Mouser. If you're putting in an order for parts for a project you're building, bump up the quantities a bit so you have some extra stock. For instance, if you're purchasing 4 caps for a project and you notice that there's a much better price on the part if you buy 10 or more, just bump up your order a bit. It's a lot like saving money - after a while you'll build up quite a stash :-)

Best of luck!

Dave
AA7EE

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...> wrote:

davidgeorgerichards

Yes - what Tom says!

I could sit down and give you a longish list of what I think you should get, adding a bit to Tom's list, but I think the best way to do it is for you to slowly, over time, build up your own stock that is designed to best serve your particular home-brewing interests. I know it's fun to buy grab bag-type assortments but you can often end up with a bunch of parts you don't actually use, fun as they are to sort through.

I don't know about you, but I spent many of my early days in this hobby reading up on construction projects in books and magazines and thinking about the kinds of things I wanted to build (Still do, actually). It would be well worth continuing to do this, but making regular notes of the kinds of parts that come up frequently.

I like to build circuits that have free-running VFO's, so a small stock of NPO's in most of the available values up to about 270pF are in my collection. I also have a small stash of polystyrene caps for the same purpose. If you're not into these kinds of circuits, you won't need these types of parts as much.

So apologies for not being very helpful, but I think that if you put the time into looking at the articles and circuits of lots of things you'd like to build, you'll get a much better idea of what to get than by following someone else's suggestions.

As I mentioned earlier, although grab bags are tempting, unless it's a collection specifically designed for the homebrewer, like the ones that various clubs have put out (NorCal did some good ones in the past), you may end up with a lot of parts of undetermined origin, quality and utility. Better in this case to order brand new parts yourself from a source such as Mouser. If you're putting in an order for parts for a project you're building, bump up the quantities a bit so you have some extra stock. For instance, if you're purchasing 4 caps for a project and you notice that there's a much better price on the part if you buy 10 or more, just bump up your order a bit. It's a lot like saving money - after a while you'll build up quite a stash :-)

Best of luck!

Dave
AA7EE

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...> wrote:

Charlie Vest

I have found this site to have some pretty neat items and new items every month . Their prices are quite reasonable and I have been very satisfied with what I have ordered from them . I especially like their copper sheets that you can cut with scissors . http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

Also one of my favorite sites for a wide variety of radio and electronics circuits that are complete , cheap and easy to build from your junk box , especially designed for the home hobbyist over a range of electronics . Most are pretty simple to build and represent some thinking "outside of the box" using common parts .

www.techlib.com and they also have a Yahoo group for support named Techlib and the person that owns the page and also designs and builds the projects , personally answers any support questions on the Yahoo group .

Usual disclaimer , I just like both sites and no financial interest in either .

Charlie , W5COV

On 4/6/2013 8:52 PM, Robert 'RC' Conley wrote:
�
I really like these folks<http://www.vakits.com/>

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...> wrote:
�

> I
> wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what
> kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?

That reminds me that I need to make an order with my favorite
electronics outlet because I'm running low on a lot of the stuff I just
mentioned.

If you want I can put together a "starter kit" of some surplus items and
send it to you. I know I've got a bunch of 2N2222's, probably far more
than I'll ever use. I'm sure I've got a lot of other stuff I can spare
as well.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

Jeremy probably should have hit Larry AB0AH's table since he had a lot of good parts. You could make your own instant grab bag.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Woody Hester

I had the same problem going to sleep last night Tom.  I was tired but wired!  We should have played cards.  Ozarkcon is over too fast.  We need to make it a full week hi hi!  I'll add my thanks to Terry and ALL the great guys and gals who make Ozarkcon so enjoyable.  It was great to see everyone ...  my drive home went without a hitch.  Best to all and safe travels for those still on the highways and byways! / Woody / WD9F 

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/07/2013 14:12, Woody Hester wrote:

Ozarkcon is over too fast. We need
to make it a full week hi hi!&#92;
Or at least two full days! I could sit around and talk about homebrewing for days. I just wish I could come down earlier. Perhaps next time I'll take two days off and come down a day earlier.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

John Lonigro

Terry et al:

I need to add my thanks as well. It was definitely a good weekend. I look forward to it every year.

As far as lasting two full days, if people just want to talk QRP longer, they can show up early Friday afternoon and leave at checkout time Sunday. That's pretty close to two days, without any additional effort on the organizers' parts. With FDIM only 6 weeks later, there's no reason to officially extend the event. I'm sure Terry and all the other organizers had their hands full as it is (and they did a great job).

John AA0VE

On 04/07/2013 09:45 PM, Tom Sevart wrote:

Or at least two full days! I could sit around and talk about
homebrewing for days. I just wish I could come down earlier. Perhaps
next time I'll take two days off and come down a day earlier.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

John Taylor <k0qh@...>

Thanks to Terry and everyone for a great time. I also feel that if there was
someway to lengthen Ozarkcon it would make an already great event that much
better. The last 2 years I have gotten in around noon on Thursday and have all
day Friday as do many others. Sunday is the get up eat and leave day for most
everyone. After all, quite a few of us are retired and glad to meet and greet.
As for FDIM, I've yet to attend as I'd rather spend the $ on Ozarkcon, I haven't
been to Dayton since 1986 and don't feel the need, money only goes so far.

The kit build session was a lot of fun and I got a nice project out of it.
Just a straw poll but how many come on Thursday or would be able to?
Thanks
72/73

John Taylor,K0QH
PB #174
SLQS
4SQRP
www.stgdxcc.webs.com

----- Original Message ----
To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, April 8, 2013 5:44:20 AM
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Re: Parts list for beginning builder

Terry et al:

I need to add my thanks as well. It was definitely a good weekend. I
look forward to it every year.

As far as lasting two full days, if people just want to talk QRP longer,
they can show up early Friday afternoon and leave at checkout time
Sunday. That's pretty close to two days, without any additional effort
on the organizers' parts. With FDIM only 6 weeks later, there's no
reason to officially extend the event. I'm sure Terry and all the other
organizers had their hands full as it is (and they did a great job).

John AA0VE

Or at least two full days! I could sit around and talk about
homebrewing for days. I just wish I could come down earlier. Perhaps
next time I'll take two days off and come down a day earlier.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 5-6 in Branson, MO
View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo! Groups Links

Jeremy Utley

Just my own $0.02 worth, speaking as a first time attendee who obviously doesn't know all the ropes so to speak.  While I enjoyed myself very much, it wasn't quite like I expected it to be.  Robin and I arrived at around 3:30pm Friday, pretty much wiped out from the drive.  Banquet was great, so was the fellowship, but we missed out on the music (which Robin was very much looking forward to), since I was busy with the build session until about 10:30.  So we thought, no big deal, there will be more tomorrow night (Saturday).  Saturday was so jam-packed with presentations that you hardly had time to breathe, and little did I know there was prize drawings after every presentation (thought all of those were going to be at the end).  I actually missed a couple of presentations that I had some interest in simply because I was too exhausted to sit thru them.  Then, when things were over at around 6pm, it seemed like most people just disappeared - the anticipated musical stuff didn't happen, and it just seemed to me like everyone just vanished.  It was nice, however, to meet a lot of new people, and get to see some old friends like Paul and Tom again, pick up a couple of new kits to try my hand at building.

Again, not to criticize, I know how much work it is to put something like this on, and it *was* a good time.  These are just some observations I made about the weekend.

Jeremy

On 4/8/2013 3:40 PM, John Taylor wrote:

As for FDIM, I've yet to attend as I'd rather spend the $ on Ozarkcon, I haven't

Thanks
72/73

John Taylor,K0QH
PB #174
SLQS
4SQRP
www.stgdxcc.webs.com

Terry et al:

John AA0VE

>
> On 04/07/2013 14:12, Woody Hester wrote:
>
> > Ozarkcon is over too fast. We need
> > to make it a full week hi hi!\
>
> Or at least two full days! I could sit around and talk about
> homebrewing for days. I just wish I could come down earlier. Perhaps
> next time I'll take two days off and come down a day earlier.
>
> --
> Tom Sevart N2UHC
> St. Paul, KS
>
>

Joe Bento

On 4/8/2013 9:28 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:
Just my own $0.02 worth, speaking as a first time attendee who obviously doesn't know all the ropes so to speak.  While I enjoyed myself very much, it wasn't quite like I expected it to be.  Robin and I arrived at around 3:30pm Friday, pretty much wiped out from the drive.  Banquet was great, so was the fellowship, but we missed out on the music (which Robin was very much looking forward to), since I was busy with the build session until about 10:30.  So we thought, no big deal, there will be more tomorrow night (Saturday).  Saturday was so jam-packed with presentations that you hardly had time to breathe, and little did I know there was prize drawings after every presentation (thought all of those were going to be at the end).  I actually missed a couple of presentations that I had some interest in simply because I was too exhausted to sit thru them.  Then, when things were over at around 6pm, it seemed like most people just disappeared - the anticipated musical stuff didn't happen, and it just seemed to me like everyone just vanished.  It was nice, however, to meet a lot of new people, and get to see some old friends like Paul and Tom again, pick up a couple of new kits to try my hand at building.

Again, not to criticize, I know how much work it is to put something like this on, and it *was* a good time.  These are just some observations I made about the weekend.

Jeremy

I've never been to Ozarcon.  Till I joined this list, I wasn't even aware of it.  I have attended Hamvention for the past 8 years or so, however, flying out from Salt Lake City.  I will be there again this year, God willing.  Tickets and airfare are already purchased.

I honestly think I may forfeit the swapfest for the forums.  Every year I tell myself I am going to attend a few of the forums, but still find myself wondering the endless isles of the swapfest for more stuff I don't need. What I need is to have my own tables to sell off some of my own junk.  Unfortunately, I don't much feel like driving the distance from Utah to Ohio.

Hamvention is always an event that I take an extra vacation day - Tuesday, usually, just to recover back at home.  :-)

Joe, N6DGY

davemrtn

Jeremy,
    This year was strange and unusual, but fun and informative as it always is.....

Just like you and your wife were 'worn out' so too were quite a number of the attendees I believe.  I heard a number of people remark they had not slept well Friday night, my wife and I included.

I know I was so tired Saturday evening, we got something to eat, returned to the hotel and crashed and slept late Sunday. If you had asked me if there was pickin' & grinnin' Saturday night I couldn't have told you.

I always enjoy listening to the 'jam' session on Saturday night, the people playing are always good and they have a lot of fun playing together.

On 04/08/2013 10:28 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:

Jeremy

On 4/8/2013 3:40 PM, John Taylor wrote:

Thanks
72/73

John Taylor,K0QH
PB #174
SLQS
4SQRP
www.stgdxcc.webs.com

Terry et al:

John AA0VE

>
> On 04/07/2013 14:12, Woody Hester wrote:
>
> > Ozarkcon is over too fast. We need
> > to make it a full week hi hi!\
>
> Or at least two full days! I could sit around and talk about
> homebrewing for days. I just wish I could come down earlier. Perhaps
> next time I'll take two days off and come down a day earlier.
>
> --
> Tom Sevart N2UHC
> St. Paul, KS
>
>

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Guns don't kill people, any more than spoons & forks cause obesity.
Automobile efficiency is measured in MPG, NOT Gallons per Mile.
Amateur Radio efficiency, fun & skill is measured by Miles Per Watt, NOT Watts per Mile.

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

Yes, this year seemed to be a bit different in that I didn't see anyone playing music, but both nights I was pretty tired so I went to the room early.

Saturday evening at the end of festivities it did seem that everyone packed up & disappeared, so I ended up going out for dinner alone. I thought of knocking on your door and seeing if you wanted to have dinner since you were next door to me, but didn't know if you wanted to be bothered. But after dinner I was pretty exhausted so turned in early so didn't look for the guitar pickers.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS