Pc board holder?

Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774

Folks: I’m new to kit building ( half way through my Hilltopper 40) and I’m looking for recommendations for  a pc board holder /vise . Amazon has several , just want to pick the right one….
thanks for your help!!
 Rich

Dan Presley

I tried a lot of different holders and found this one quite useful. What I like is that you can angle the board and flip it over as needed for parts placement and soldering. You’ll have to play with it a bit to adjust and figure out the spring holder for the board,but once you’re okay with it,it works fine. QST reviewed it (I think!) in 2019-can’t recall which issue. 

On Mar 8, 2022, at 10:13, Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774 <n2wbj@...> wrote:

Folks: I’m new to kit building ( half way through my Hilltopper 40) and I’m looking for recommendations for  a pc board holder /vise . Amazon has several , just want to pick the right one….
thanks for your help!!
 Rich

AG1P Ron

I use a Panavise 396 and it meets my needs - https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-396-Wide-Opening-Head/dp/B000JC7FM0  

I have no connection with the company or sellers, just happy customer

72 - Ron - AG1P

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2022 9:45 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Pc board holder?

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

g gusto

Yes, for the $, you can't beat it.  It WAS reviewed in QST.  Simple. Sturdy. Has lasted a few years.  Gus W5GUS Dallas TX. 

KD0JPE

I have a number of PCB holders, including the Panavise, but I mostly use the “brass set” from QRPme. They work well for any circuit board size or shape. (Even circular circuit boards such as the Tuna Tin series of boards.)

A YouTube video showing them in use can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiv5eGqOxk

(Advance the video to 5:56)

John

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774
Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2022 10:45 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Pc board holder?

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

I know you were looking for “buy” options... but can’t resist passing along this “build” option from Ken WA4MNT:

https://qrpbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/pcb_holder_you_can_build_102615.pdf

On Mar 8, 2022, at 11:44 AM, Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774 <n2wbj@...> wrote:

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

--
Jeff N0̷MII
4SQRP# 702

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Jeff and the group
I bought two of these back when he was selling them.
Nice board holders, tuff as can be.
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:48 PM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:
I know you were looking for “buy” options... but can’t resist passing along this “build” option from Ken WA4MNT:

https://qrpbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/pcb_holder_you_can_build_102615.pdf

On Mar 8, 2022, at 11:44 AM, Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774 <n2wbj@...> wrote:

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

--
Jeff N0̷MII
4SQRP# 702

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Shawn Reed

OK. Hate to say it -- none better!     old iron bottom, wood block with magnet from computer salvage, and strong aircraft clip with teeth I protected with leather and balsa wood, and for size comparison, a new board - barb-a-watt, by Kees. I have been using this for some time and I have never needed to go beyond. Good heavy base, clip swivels and turns, and clip is double strong.  Do some savings on this. It is a practice to be thriftful, as a ham.  Enjoy the advantages of QRP, when it comes to lower costs. s.reed. 73, kf7yff.

My wife would KILL me if I did that to her iron!!! 
Only kidding . You definitely have me thinking though. I could definitely come up with the right junk in my shed to come up with something …. 
Thanks. !!

On Mar 8, 2022, at 2:50 PM, Shawn Reed via groups.io <sreedq1014@...> wrote:

OK. Hate to say it -- none better!     old iron bottom, wood block with magnet from computer salvage, and strong aircraft clip with teeth I protected with leather and balsa wood, and for size comparison, a new board - barb-a-watt, by Kees. I have been using this for some time and I have never needed to go beyond. Good heavy base, clip swivels and turns, and clip is double strong.  Do some savings on this. It is a practice to be thriftful, as a ham.  Enjoy the advantages of QRP, when it comes to lower costs. s.reed. 73, kf7yff.
<P1010115.JPG>
<P1010116.JPG>
<P1010117.JPG>

Donald Sanders

Yes, I made mine using a cutting board and wooden dowels from Walmart. Less than $10.

Dr. Don W4BWS

God Bless All

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

--
Jeff N0̷MII
4SQRP# 702

Wayne Dillon

Yep, That's the one I use (for about 4 years now), does everything I need it to without breaking the bank. Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER. 

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Fate whispered to courageous "You cannot withstand the storm"
Courageous  whispered back "I am the storm"

Ron Eike

Hey Rich,
Check out the 'Brass set' from qrpme.com. They work surprisingly well.
Ron KA3PSO

Thanks, all!! Some great ideas . Do to my limited space, I think I’m going to start with those brass blocks ….

On Mar 8, 2022, at 5:52 PM, Ron Eike <ron.eike2@...> wrote:

Hey Rich,
Check out the 'Brass set' from qrpme.com. They work surprisingly well.
Ron KA3PSO

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Those work well with most boards. They're not ideal for boards that have large components near the edge. I have one and often use it, but sometimes I run into a board where it won't work.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:52 PM Dan Presley <N7CQR@...> wrote:
I tried a lot of different holders and found this one quite useful. What I like is that you can angle the board and flip it over as needed for parts placement and soldering. You’ll have to play with it a bit to adjust and figure out the spring holder for the board,but once you’re okay with it,it works fine. QST reviewed it (I think!) in 2019-can’t recall which issue. 

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiol820lrf2AhVDHq0GHflSCpMYABAPGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESWuD22p7IWY8JYnD-QJVSd2PyQQsxMD7SslNVdrTzLL-VdAah3w-jrB28Ju1vlCaGptR_bGIXZzV1xYj7QLERih_XdQVM7Tr2I1FK3tf-SJec6ExP4SdImvf4Ug&sig=AOD64_2m7GWAoaEg-zf68McSylAA25kS3Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjO_8G0lrf2AhWLIDQIHeJGCQAQwg96BAgBECI&adurl=

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com 

On Mar 8, 2022, at 10:13, Richard Kimmerling LICW # 890 SKCC # 23774 <n2wbj@...> wrote:

thanks for your help!!
 Rich

w9ran

On 3/8/2022 10:32 PM, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
sometimes I run into a board where it won't work.
Yep, that's why I end up using this kind more often than not:

https://www.amazon.com/Toolour-Pieces-Circuit-Board-Holder/dp/B07TDGT21L?th=1

73, Bob W9RAN

Bob Parr

There is one like this that has magnetic mounted alligator clips on goose-necks. I like it because I can use it to hold wires when I am splicing or soldering connectors. A bit pricey but very handy.

Bob
KG5GTE

------ Original Message ------
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Sent: 3/8/2022 10:52:24 PM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Pc board holder?

On 3/8/2022 10:32 PM, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
sometimes I run into a board where it won't work.
Yep, that's why I end up using this kind more often than not:

https://www.amazon.com/Toolour-Pieces-Circuit-Board-Holder/dp/B07TDGT21L?th=1

73, Bob W9RAN

w9ran

On 3/9/2022 8:09 AM, Bob Parr wrote:
magnetic mounted alligator clips on goose-necks.
Ooh that sounds like a great idea, I could give my third hand a break!

I was going to add that you can make similar devices pretty inexpensively by epoxying the cheap 3mm standoffs  from eBay to some nice strong magnets.    Here's an example of how I do  it: https://tinyurl.com/kz4vny6f

If you make some with threaded standoffs and some with tapped ones you can even screw them together on a board so you have magnetic attachments on either side.   It wouldn't be hard to make some with alligator clips or even commonly-used components like connectors with wire leads to your board for testing.

The nice thing about the Amazon link type is the notch around the top that allows them to hold a board that doesn't have mounting holes.  And if you build stuff on a base made of ferrous metal like a shallow baking tray it keep dropped components from entering the 4th dimension as well as providing a surface for magnetic holders.

73, Bob W9RAN

Bob Parr

You can order directly from them but I got it here. They have several versions depending on how many arms you want, if you want a magnifying glass and so on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZG2D99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

------ Original Message ------
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Sent: 3/9/2022 10:56:37 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Pc board holder?

On 3/9/2022 8:09 AM, Bob Parr wrote:
magnetic mounted alligator clips on goose-necks.
Ooh that sounds like a great idea, I could give my third hand a break!

I was going to add that you can make similar devices pretty inexpensively by epoxying the cheap 3mm standoffs from eBay to some nice strong magnets. Here's an example of how I do it: https://tinyurl.com/kz4vny6f

If you make some with threaded standoffs and some with tapped ones you can even screw them together on a board so you have magnetic attachments on either side. It wouldn't be hard to make some with alligator clips or even commonly-used components like connectors with wire leads to your board for testing.

The nice thing about the Amazon link type is the notch around the top that allows them to hold a board that doesn't have mounting holes. And if you build stuff on a base made of ferrous metal like a shallow baking tray it keep dropped components from entering the 4th dimension as well as providing a surface for magnetic holders.

73, Bob W9RAN