Topics

Pictures of SOTA-rama in the Ozarks

Bill Gerth

If you'd like to see some pictures of the SOTA-rama in the Ozarks event held in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary version of OzarkCon 2013 last week-end, go to the MO SOTA website:  "www.mosota.org" and click on the link to "In The Log" at the bottom of the homepage.  The first entry on that blog page now includes pictures of the SOTA exhibit plus activations of 3 of the 4 MO summits in the Eureka Springs Escarpment Region of W0M-Missouri.

Photo credits to Gary, W0MNA and W4RK.

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager

WA0ITP

Great pictures and write up Bill,

I was very nit to meet you at OzarkCon after working you so often on the weekly net.  Thanks for all you do for QRP.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

If you'd like to see some pictures of the SOTA-rama in the Ozarks event held in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary version of OzarkCon 2013 last week-end, go to the MO SOTA website:  "www.mosota.org" and click on the link to "In The Log" at the bottom of the homepage.  The first entry on that blog page now includes pictures of the SOTA exhibit plus activations of 3 of the 4 MO summits in the Eureka Springs Escarpment Region of W0M-Missouri.

Photo credits to Gary, W0MNA and W4RK.

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager

Bill Gerth

My pleasure, Terry!

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager

On Apr 12, 2013, at 9:33 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

Great pictures and write up Bill,

I was very nit to meet you at OzarkCon after working you so often on the weekly net.  Thanks for all you do for QRP.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Wayne Dillon

Terrific pictures and a great web-site. Thanks for sharing es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Bill Gerth <billgerth@...> wrote:

If you'd like to see some pictures of the SOTA-rama in the Ozarks event held in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary version of OzarkCon 2013 last week-end, go to the MO SOTA website:  "www.mosota.org" and click on the link to "In The Log" at the bottom of the homepage.  The first entry on that blog page now includes pictures of the SOTA exhibit plus activations of 3 of the 4 MO summits in the Eureka Springs Escarpment Region of W0M-Missouri.

Photo credits to Gary, W0MNA and W4RK.

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

gary rheuark

Hello Bill, My name is Gary and my call is K5QNM. There are 71 hams here in Ozark County.
 I live in Gainesville.

I do have an interest in Microwave hill-topping. My last trip was a 42 mile success.

I notice that your maps only show 3 Mountain Tops in The West Plains area. What qualifies as a mountain top as I go to Long Mountain frequently?

The HF hill-topping sounds fun. Any information will be appreciated.....Gary.....K5QNM.

On Apr 12, 2013, at 9:33 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

Great pictures and write up Bill,

I was very nit to meet you at OzarkCon after working you so often on the weekly net.  Thanks for all you do for QRP.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Bill Gerth

HI GARY,

Summits on the Air (SOTA) has a specific definition of a summit and I could only include those summits that qualified when I set up the Missouri Association with the SOTA Management Team in the UK back in January.  The main criterion is "Prominence" which is a geophysical term that roughly means the difference in elevation between the highest point and the highest nearby saddle.  Elevation by itself doesn't qualify.  In Missouri, we are a P100 Association, meaning that a qualified summit must have a Prominence of 100 meters (328 feet).  I'll check my database for Long Mountain, but since it is not on the SOTA list, I'm assuming its Prominence falls short of 328 feet.

By the way, SOTA has a separate category for VHF and up.  Look at the main SOTA website:  "www.sota.org.uk" for the General Rules, or look at the Resources Page of the MO SOTA website:  http://mosota.org/resources.html  for several other pertinent links.

You'd be very welcome in SOTA!

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager

On Apr 12, 2013, at 10:01 AM, gary rheuark wrote:

Hello Bill, My name is Gary and my call is K5QNM. There are 71 hams here in Ozark County.
 I live in Gainesville.

I do have an interest in Microwave hill-topping. My last trip was a 42 mile success.

I notice that your maps only show 3 Mountain Tops in The West Plains area. What qualifies as a mountain top as I go to Long Mountain frequently?

The HF hill-topping sounds fun. Any information will be appreciated.....Gary.....K5QNM.

On Apr 12, 2013, at 9:33 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

Great pictures and write up Bill,

I was very nit to meet you at OzarkCon after working you so often on the weekly net.  Thanks for all you do for QRP.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Bill Gerth

Gary,

I just looked up Long Mountain in my database and my suspicion was correct.  The elevation of Long Mountain (Ozark County) is 1,450 feet ASL and its highest saddle has an elevation of 1,290 feet ASL, giving a Prominence of only 160 feet.  The minimum Prominence for SOTA qualification in Missouri is 328 feet.  The nearest SOTA qualified summit to Long Mountain is Romance Lookout, also in Ozark County.  Romance Lookout was activated by KD5ZZK, NM5S, and K5SSR during the time of OzarkCon 2013.

73,
BILL GERTH, W4RK
SOTA USA W0M-Missouri
Association Manager