From: w1sfr ;
To: <4sqrp@...>;
Subject: [4sqrp] PigRig program button stopped working
Sent: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 3:25:02 PM

I decided to try to realign my xmit freq and adjusted the cap so I heard a good signal on 7030.7 on my big rig.

After doing that, I put everything back together and hooked it up and now I don't have any control of my keyer.

What should I look for?

Steve
W1SFR

Wendell Morrill

The momentary contact switch in my kit was defective.
Wendell
N7WM

Look for issues with the button.� Try shorting the button terminals to see
if it gives you the menu prompt.� If it doesn't do it look for bad or
broken wires or a bad connection of the wires to the board.� If shorting
the n utton works replace the button.�
73 de K0NEB

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

On 4/5/2013 8:25 AM, w1sfr wrote:

I decided to try to realign my xmit freq and adjusted the cap so I heard a good signal on 7030.7 on my big rig.

After doing that, I put everything back together and hooked it up and now I don't have any control of my keyer.

What should I look for?

Steve
W1SFR

Hi Steve. I replaced the programmer sw on my pig  . The red buttoned sw  was beyond loose tolerances. (for another nickel...). Check for continuity while you are pressing the button. I've yet to apply pwr to my rig. I now have it built, and   I am constructing an enclosure. I'm sure glad I didn't procrastinate past kit #215. I knew I would regret it if I did. 73 Shawnr kf7yff.

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Crystal controlled pig rigs have "programming" buttons? Wha. .....!?
Umm..whoot? What up with that?

73,

Bill KU8H

Joe Bento

On 4/6/2013 7:22 AM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
Hi,

Crystal controlled pig rigs have "programming" buttons? Wha. .....!?
Umm..whoot? What up with that?

73,

Bill KU8H

The rig has a programmable keyer built-in.

Joe, N6DGY

Chuck Carpenter

Options and programming selections for the keyer microcontroller

Several QRP crystal controlled rigs have such features, e.g., KD1JV rigs sold by QRPkits.com, and the 3rd party keyer chips for Rock-Mites and other kits.

At 08:22 AM 4/6/2013, Bill Cromwell wrote:
Hi,

Crystal controlled pig rigs have "programming" buttons? Wha. .....!?
Umm..whoot? What up with that?

73,

Bill KU8H

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Bill Cromwell

Thanks for the replies. My keyers are all "stand-alone" and can be used
with any of my rigs. It would never have occurred to me there would be
an electronic, programmable keyer built into rig like that one.
Somewhere in the back of my head I know some rigs have those built but I
never-ever think about those.

73,

Bill KU8H

w1sfr <steverob@...>

Ok guys, here's an update.

Well, the keyer chip has mysteriously rebooted itself and is now working. Don't ask me what happened. I took the rig to the shop and checked everything. I found that the stock switch was indeed intermittent so I installed a mini toggle switch for now until I can locate a momentary switch like the one that came with the kit. While I was at it, I installed a power indicator led light which will be helpful when I operate via battery. I also discovered in the process that one of my APP connectors in a 3 way dongle that I built is not good, which explains the sudden and nerve wracking loss of power which at the time I took as a very bad sign.

Anyhoo, all is well and the radio is happily chirping along. Now all I have to do is get someone to answer my call and confirm my calling freq and all will be well in the world.

72
Steve
W1SFR

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "w1sfr" <steverob@...> wrote:

I decided to try to realign my xmit freq and adjusted the cap so I heard a good signal on 7030.7 on my big rig.

After doing that, I put everything back together and hooked it up and now I don't have any control of my keyer.

What should I look for?

Steve
W1SFR

w1sfr <steverob@...>

I spoke too soon. It worked fine for about 5 minutes then the keyer went whacky again. Now I'm getting weird sounds when I key down. If I hit the switch the sidetone sounds fine, but as soon as I start to send, there's a very loud hum as I key it. I tried different keys thinking it might be a plug or something, but I'm back to thinking that it's the keyer IC.

Steve

[...]

Todd K7TFC

Steve,

Do you think noise might be getting in and screwing up the keyer chip? Something peculiar to your environment or DC source, maybe? The Vcc bypass cap, C23, is about as close as it could be to the chip, but I wonder what adding, say, 1uF *and* a .01uF caps across C23 to provide a range of low-impedance paths for a wider range of noise frequencies? I also wonder if you could have a bad D7? Or for that matter anything else in the power chain. If your PR is naked, I wonder what an enclosure might do?

Sorry if these ideas have already been mentioned.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

--- In 4sqrp@..., "w1sfr" wrote:

> Ok guys, here's an update.
>
> Well, the keyer chip has mysteriously rebooted itself and is now working. Don't ask me what happened. I took the rig to the shop and checked everything. I found that the stock switch was indeed intermittent so I installed a mini toggle switch for now until I can locate a momentary switch like the one that came with the kit. While I was at it, I installed a power indicator led light which will be helpful when I operate via battery. I also discovered in the process that one of my APP connectors in a 3 way dongle that I built is not good, which explains the sudden and nerve wracking loss of power which at the time I took as a very bad sign.
>
> Anyhoo, all is well and the radio is happily chirping along. Now all I have to do is get someone to answer my call and confirm my calling freq and all will be well in the world.
>
> 72
> Steve
> W1SFR
>

> --- In 4sqrp@..., "w1sfr" wrote:
> >
> > I decided to try to realign my xmit freq and adjusted the cap so I heard a good signal on 7030.7 on my big rig.
> >
> > After doing that, I put everything back together and hooked it up and now I don't have any control of my keyer.
> >
> > What should I look for?
> >
> > Steve
> > W1SFR

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

I just occurred to me that when I built the rig the wire I used for the power in was heavier gauge than spec'd and I could only get one turn around the ferrite choke. Could that be the problem? Maybe an external choke on the power input would help?

Steve