Planar Transformer

Tim N9PUZ

I was reading an announcement about a new POE Hat for the Raspberry Pi computer board. What caught my eye was mention of it using a "planar transformer" in the circuitry instead of a wire wrapped ferrite core. The planar transformer has the windings etched onto a small PC board which is then sandwiched between two pieces of ferrite to form the transformer. I have not seen this technique before.

Here is a link to the article. A picture of the transformer appears at the end.

Announcing the Raspberry Pi PoE+ HAT - Raspberry Pi

73,

Tim N9PUZ

Dan Reynolds

That is really cool. So Bourns is making them. I wonder how they would work in a final - have to be QRP...

Dan KB9JLO