Topics

Polyvaricon Source Wanted

Tim N9PUZ

Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.

I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!

Tim N9PUZ

John Daly

Have you looked at QRP Kits - I believe they sell polyvaricon caps.

73 - W4USF John

On Jul 18, 2020, at 5:40 PM, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.

I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!

Tim N9PUZ

Gwen Patton

I bought four from this source:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Gang-AM-FM-Variable-Capacitor-266pF-X-2-and-20pF-X-2-500pF-Total/113059337104

They're your typical AM/FM radio devices. I found a small transmitting loop on Thingiverse that uses them, so I bought some. I printed up the enclosure and planetary gearing for it, but haven't had the time to fiddle with it and build the darned loop. That'll probably be a winter project.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM John Daly via groups.io <wa9whd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Have you looked at QRP Kits - I believe they sell polyvaricon caps.

73 - W4USF John

On Jul 18, 2020, at 5:40 PM, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.

I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!

Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

The response to my question about Polyvaricon  caps has been good and I really appreciate the offers to dig through junk boxes, etc. to try and get my the parts. I did some more searching this afternoon and found an eBay seller who had what I wanted who was in the US and didn't want me to order 50 of them! I wasn't opposed to ordering from the UK or elsewhere, I'm just not very patient once I get started and a lot of places I found indicated my order probably wouldn't have arrived before the end of August.

Thanks once again everyone!

Tim N9PUZ

On 7/18/2020 4:40 PM, Tim N9PUZ via groups.io wrote:
Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.

I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!

Tim N9PUZ

Tom Sevart

On 7/18/2020 16:40, Tim N9PUZ wrote:
Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.
I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!
I've always just salvaged them from old AM radios.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

w2sh@...

There have been several positive suggestions made for Polyvaricon sources on the GQRP reflector this month.
I'd suggest you look at their archives, or else post your need on their site.

72,

Charles Moizeau, W2SH
GQRP 8662

--
Charles Moizeau, W2SH

N4WD

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 9:41 PM Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
Greetings gang!  Since it's been so hot this weekend I've been sifting through some saved notes and links. I've run across a couple of projects I'm considering and wondered where you go about buying Polyvaricon adjustable caps.

I've followed a few links from my web searches and they lead to either caps that are not the small polyvaricons, items that are out of stock, or suppliers half way around the world. I'd rather not pay more for shipping that for the caps themselves!

Tim N9PUZ

Gwen Patton

There's also this one at Mike's:  https://www.mikeselectronicparts.com/product/variable-capacitor-266pf/  It's used in this small transmitting loop: https://k1fm.us/2015/07/k1fm-mini-magnetic-loop-2-0/  and has a 3d printed version (made by someone else) here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4036000

I mentioned the loop before, when I posted the ebay link for the cap I bought. But I got a request for the Thingiverse page as well, so there you go.

73,
Gwen, NG3P