Topics

Possible Bayou Jumper operating event

Jim, N5IB

Calling all Agents...

How's this for an event to simulate how it was done "back in the day"

We recruit a QRO station (biiiiiig honkin' leenyar) to be "London"
"London" sits down on, say 7105 kHz, and calls CQ
Bayou Jumpers plug in their 7122 rocks and try to work "London"
"London" has to tune all around 7122 to find those Jumpers in their cute little QRP pileup.

Maybe "London" sends a unique BBC-style "message for our friends…" to each caller
e.g. "Jean has a long mustache" "the porridge is cold" etc

Certificate or QSL to each agent who copies successfully.
Extra Spam ration coupon to "London" for the effort.
For more realism, "London" ought to be a YL

How many Bayou Jumpers could we get to congregate?
Could we find a way for those poor, Jumperless, QRPers to join in?

Jim, N5IB

OwlCricker - K7ULM

I like your style.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021, 6:13 PM Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:
Calling all Agents...

How's this for an event to simulate how it was done "back in the day"

We recruit a QRO station (biiiiiig  honkin'  leenyar)  to be "London"
"London" sits down on, say 7105 kHz, and calls CQ
Bayou Jumpers plug in their 7122 rocks and try to work "London"
"London" has to tune all around 7122 to find those Jumpers in their  cute little QRP pileup.

Maybe "London" sends a unique BBC-style "message for our friends…" to each caller
  e.g. "Jean has a long mustache"   "the porridge is cold"  etc

Certificate or QSL to each agent who copies successfully.
Extra Spam ration coupon to "London" for the effort.
For more realism, "London" ought to be a YL

How many Bayou Jumpers could we get to congregate?
Could we find a way for those poor, Jumperless, QRPers to join in?

Jim, N5IB

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Jim and the Group.
Count me in!!
I have a freshly built Bayou Jumper
Just waiting to Rock!!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Curt

Yeah it would sure freak some out to have 'London' as a YL or a small network on 40m ssb just above there working the BJ stations working split, maybe with a qro cw hanging around if help is needed to clear 7122. Yep they could say this is London, of course with legit ID.

Have fun. I don't have a one box BJ, but a smoking WBR regen available with a transmitter similar to the prototype, a tuna tin 2 cascaded with a irf510 lurking. These would be good modules for a mark 2 BJ.

73 curt wb8yyy

N4DR

  I'm in! Sounds like fantastic fun. Who will be the "London YL"? Is that a secret, too?

Marc N4DR

Jim, N5IB

Hi Curt,

I hadn't even thought about "London" being on SSB !
What fun ..... hey ( evil grin ) what about working on.... wait for it.... 7126 kHz, upper sideband ??!
That'd give some of the 40m denizens something to chew on.

So far haven't scared up any volunteers for "London"
May have to push the date back some, which would give more time for a bunch of newly minted Bayou Jumpers to get checked out.
My station, I'm afraid, really doesn't have enough uumph to be "London" and I'm not very centrally located, but might consider doing it as a test run on the 20th

There are some more more significant SOE/SIS birthdays approaching:

Jan 30 1890: Major General Sir Stewart Graham Menzies, KCB KCMG DSO MC
He was "C" - heading SIS during WW2

Mar 15 1921 Eileen Mary "Didi" Nearne, MBE Croix deGuerre
She was a wireless operator for SOE
Escaped from the Gestapo and lived 'till 2010
Her sister and brother also were SOE agents
her 100th birthday approaching - she'd be a great one to honor

April 1 1890: Sir Mansfield George Smith-Cumming, KCMG CB
Head of SIS, he was the very first to sign his documents with "C"

April 6 1906: Virginia Hall Goillot, DSC MBE Croix deGuerre
An American working for both the SOE and OSS
known to the Gestapo as "the limping lady" because she'd lost a leg in a pre-war accident

...N5IB

Jim, N5IB

Gang,

I'm going to take all further posts from me of this event over to the Bayou Jumper Group, so if you're not signed up there and want to keep tabs, join up at
https://4sqrp.groups.io/g/BayouJumperKit
That'll save this list from the clutter of cross-postings

We have at least one possible "London" volunteer.
In Houston, so not as central as I'd like. But he's decidely QRO, and an SKCC Senator.
Still receptive to a more centrally located op if you have a recommendation.
I think we shall treat Jan 20 as a short test run, say for an hour or so, and then work on gearing up for another longer go on Mar 15 for Eileen Nearne's 100th birthday.

Jan 20 plan will be for "London" to CQ and work "spies" for an hour, then QRX while the spies try to work each other.
I think for an added twist, we'll have our 'messages personnels' be sent **in French**
....... "les moutons sont dans la grange" ....... "laissez le bon temps rouler" .......
That'll make the troops clamp the 'phones on tighter :^))

So make plans to be QRV 0100 - 0300 on 20 Jan 2021 UTC (that'll be the evening of the 19th in CONUS)

Remember - go to the Bayou Jumper group for updates.

Jim, N5IB

Curt

Jim

well if you study 40m propagation now you may discover the band is quite long at time - so with many stations in 4 state region and about - good to have someone who is not close!  wow 'Houston' is quite heroic also (aka Apollo 13) -- you may wish to recruit a few geographically dispersed net control stations - and okay of course to keep it on CW (I was honestly thinking split -- not necessarily CW and SSB on same frequency).

when you built your BJ prototype I built a similar Tx, but went a different direction on a regen receiver - the WBR - not integrated but I did use the tuna tin 2 +mosfet Tx with a magic box (so forgive my QSK !).

have fun - I might be away when you do the initial one, but it might catch on to be done again maybe.

73 Curt