Problem with Tuner Kit but no help here

PeteWK8S

Would like to make this kit work. RED LED stays lit during tuning process and never goes out even with 1:1 load such as dummy load.

Can anyone offer some help here?

Pete WK8S

John - KK4ITX

Pete,

If you followed the manual exactly you probably have the LED colors reversed....... see the addendum.  The schematic is correct but the Assembly Manual text has them reversed.

If they are correctly placed the inspect the diode in the Red LED area and check the 2N3906 at Q2 for correct wiring.

Other possible issues with the Pittsburgh style that I have had is bad solder joints.  Not so many components to check out.

GL,

John
KK4ITX 

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On May 18, 2021, at 00:21, PeteWK8S via groups.io <pmeier@...> wrote:

Would like to make this kit work. RED LED stays lit during tuning process and never goes out even with 1:1 load such as dummy load.

Pete WK8S

Bob Parr

Search the online group.  If I can find the link I may post it later.  This does not seem totally uncommon.  The soultion a few have used (I have not gotten around to trying it myself) is to put a small trimmer pot in there and "calibrate" it to your dummy load.

Bob

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 5/17/2021 11:21:41 PM
Subject: [4SQRP] Problem with Tuner Kit but no help here

Pete WK8S

Bob Parr

Here is what I found:

THe following was reported by W3BNO.  I plan to do this, but have not gotten around to trying yet.

" I solved by connecting a 5k trim pot across the red led. With the tuner feeding a 50 ohm dummy load and adjusted for maximum dimming of the red led, I adjusted the pot until the led just extinguished."

Good luck and let us know if it works for you.

Bob
KG5GTE

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 5/17/2021 11:21:41 PM
Subject: [4SQRP] Problem with Tuner Kit but no help here

Pete WK8S

Bryan, KJ7PRS

I found that the red light is considerably brighter then the green in day light.  When I got everything perfect on the match and looked at them in the dark, they were fine.  So I just live with it.  Tuner works great!

Bryan Kj7prs 

On May 17, 2021, at 21:21, PeteWK8S via groups.io <pmeier@...> wrote:

Pete WK8S

Jg

My experience having finished this kit a week or so back.  

The tuning seems quite finicky (or precise).  The initial dimming of the red LED can be very slight and easy to miss. Of course, working between the two capacitors then brings the brightness way down. 

I was using dits to tune with and had trouble finding the dips. I Switched to a solid tuning tone and find that it’s much easier.  No blown finals so far, which I would not think to be a problem with the tuner’s 2:1 SWR limiting.  

John K6WS

On May 18, 2021, at 9:34 AM, Bryan, KJ7PRS via groups.io <martinfab@...> wrote:

_._,_._,_

WA0ITP

GM Bryan and John,
You might try a resistor as the load rather than an antenna. Some antennas are difficult to match, but a dummy load resistor of 50 to 200 ohms or so should match up nicely.

GL and let us know how it goes,  WA0ITP

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:01 PM Jg <jgoodsell@...> wrote:
My experience having finished this kit a week or so back.  

The tuning seems quite finicky (or precise).  The initial dimming of the red LED can be very slight and easy to miss. Of course, working between the two capacitors then brings the brightness way down. 

I was using dits to tune with and had trouble finding the dips. I Switched to a solid tuning tone and find that it’s much easier.  No blown finals so far, which I would not think to be a problem with the tuner’s 2:1 SWR limiting.  

John K6WS

On May 18, 2021, at 9:34 AM, Bryan, KJ7PRS via groups.io <martinfab=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

--