From: "Jim Sheldon" <w0eb@cox.net>
Sent: 8/25/2021 8:00:26 AM
Subject: Propagation this morning

Solarham.net shows unsettled conditions. They got that right, everything above 5 MHz is dead as a hammer right now (8:00 a.m. Central). Heard one real faint CW signal on 7.025 but nothing else. 80 meters is still pretty good even with the QRN from a thunderstorm a hundred miles or so to the Northeast of Wichita as I'm hearing a few pretty strong signals there.

Just wanted to post this so some won't think their radios died overnight, it's just band conditions. Even the baseline atmospheric noise above 5 MHz is at a very low level.

Jim, W0EB

W6BOW

Jim,

😲

Don (W6BOW)

On Aug 25, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@cox.net> wrote:

OOPS, My BAD! I just found that I had accidentally switched the Receiver in my K3s to the RX antenna - LOL. It is a bare BNC connector on the back of the radio - HaHa.. Boy do I need more coffee this morning.

Sorry for the erroneous post - signals are right up there - dang CWT is running amok on 40 - - LOL.

Jim, W0EB

Solarham.net shows unsettled conditions. They got that right, everything above 5 MHz is dead as a hammer right now (8:00 a.m. Central). Heard one real faint CW signal on 7.025 but nothing else. 80 meters is still pretty good even with the QRN from a thunderstorm a hundred miles or so to the Northeast of Wichita as I'm hearing a few pretty strong signals there.

Just wanted to post this so some won't think their radios died overnight, it's just band conditions. Even the baseline atmospheric noise above 5 MHz is at a very low level.

Jim, W0EB

KK0S

Info from Spaceweather.com

EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD IS ABOUT TO BE UPSET: First, a solar wind stream. Then, two CMEs. That's what's heading our way in the next three days. High-speed solar wind is expected to graze Earth's magnetic field on Aug. 25th, potentially followed by weak CME strikes on Aug. 26th and 27th. Geomagnetic unrest could spark auroras around the darkening Arctic Circle.

Plus, there was a B9 class solar eruption today that may be headed directly toward us

Bruce - KKØS

Walter - K5EST

Well Jim, I was thinking your antenna was underground :-)  Was listening to the Waterway CW net this morning on 7.053 MHz and they were booming in which included the small craft running QRP stations!  Wish I could get a 7.053 MHz crystal for a Cricket!

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - QRPcw

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:12 AM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Sheldon

Yeah, I was just getting ready to shovel it out when I discovered the error on the K3.  Boy, I know what you mean on the 7.053 crystal!  I just did a search of Mouser, Digikey & google.  No luck.  I guess that one is SOL.  Maybe you need to build a DDS oscillator for the Cricket.  (Kind of hard to make it work right though - I've tried.)

Jim

Solarham.net shows unsettled conditions.  They got that right, everything above 5 MHz is dead as a hammer right now (8:00 a.m. Central).  Heard one real faint CW signal on 7.025 but nothing else.  80 meters is still pretty good even with the QRN from a thunderstorm a hundred miles or so to the Northeast of Wichita as I'm hearing a few pretty strong signals there.

Just wanted to post this so some won't think their radios died overnight, it's just band conditions.  Even the baseline atmospheric noise above 5 MHz is at a very low level.

Jim, W0EB

Bobby Drummond

Try a VXO based on a 7.055 crystal. Add a small inductor (around 20-25 microhenries) and, let’s say, a 200 or so picofarad variable capacitor in series with one of the crystal leads  and Voila!, you’re in like Flynn.

Not only will you be able to tune’r down to 7.053, but most likely you can tune even lower and all points in between there and around 7.055.

73 de AK4JA

On Aug 25, 2021, at 11:38 AM, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bobby, it is sure worth a try. Thank you, Sir!!!  I really enjoy the little Crickets and quite a bang for so little dollars!

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - QRPcw