Topics

QRPspots Android App

WA0ITP

Our own David Cripe has created a QRPspots app for the Android operating system.
Now QRPspots can be accessed from any of your Android devices, how cool is that?

Download your free copy here http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/QRPSPOTS/
pull it up on your Smartphone, and make a post to try it out.

Thank you Dave.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.qrpspots.com

Johnny AC0BQ

That's neat!
Thanks Dave, ok now who is working on the iPhone version ?
Thanks 72
Johnny AC0BQ

On Friday, March 1, 2013, WA0ITP wrote:

Our own David Cripe has created a QRPspots app for the Android operating system.
Now QRPspots can be accessed from any of your Android devices, how cool is that?

Download your free copy here http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/QRPSPOTS/
pull it up on your Smartphone, and make a post to try it out.

Thank you Dave.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Scotty Long <nu0s@...>

very cool works great hope there is an iphone app soon as well...

73/Scotty/NUØS

WA0ITP wrote:

Our own David Cripe has created a QRPspots app for the Android operating system.
Now QRPspots can be accessed from any of your Android devices, how cool is that?

Download your free copy here http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/QRPSPOTS/
pull it up on your Smartphone, and make a post to try it out.

Thank you Dave.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

kb4qqj

OK, I'll bite and show my modern device ignorance. ;-)

Terry if you see this first you can disregard my direct email. I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself. This is basically a copy of an offlist email I sent Terry.

What the difference in the new QRPSPOTS app and just doing it direct from my android cell phone? I've been accessing QRPSPOTS from my android cell phone (Samsung Galaxy II 4g) for over a year now.  While I know a little bit about antennas and radios, I'm not a computer/cell phone/android person. It is a cool app and it may be that all android devices can't access that page like the Galaxy does?
It might be a simple or basic question but I am just curious to know the difference.

I just did a very quick and simple test post using my cell direct first and then via the new app and don't see any operational or speed differences.

Cheerfully awaiting the most obvious and embarrassing answer,

Randy_KB4QQJ

On Friday, March 1, 2013, wrote:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 20:47 -0600, Johnny Matlock wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I wondered the same thing when I saw that. I have one of those "smart
alec" phones but I just use my computer. I have used the phone for
accessing web pages... so..

What is the attraction?

73,

Bill KU8H

Nick-WA5BDU

I guess any phone with a browser can get to QRPSpots.

For the iPhone though, there is an app called HamLog that has a button to take you directly there.

HamLog is a cool program allowing simple logging and the ability to email an ADIF of your log to your main PC. In addition, there are lots of other functions under "Tools", including QRPSpots.

72-

Nick, WA5BDU

wb9dlc <wb9dlc@...>

I'll take a stab at this. I've only had my Android tablet (Google Nexus 7) since Christmas, so I still have a lot to learn.

It appears to me that you can access the internet and web pages with a smart phone or tablet, but the screen typically is much smaller and it is challenging to move around the page and zoom in and enter data, etc.

A well designed app is typically formatted for the smaller screen and makes use of some of the very neat features of the phone or tablet such as auto-rotation for portrait or landscape, GPS positioning so the app knows where you are, screen zoom, etc.

A well written app is typically much easier than accessing via the web. And it provides easy access

Many websites can sense your browser type and automatically route you to a "mobile' website designed for smaller devices. Kinda a cross between a normal wesite and an app.

QRZ.com even has an Android app - QRZDROID - t access callsigns quickly and in a simple format.

Hope that helps.

Mike Barrell / wb9dlc
http://wb9dlc.com

--- In 4sqrp@..., Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

[...]

I also use Hamlog,NKCCluster, and Morse code (for public viewing decodes cw) on my Samson Galaxy.
It interfaces well with the KX3 via Pigtail.

Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 3/1/2013 10:25:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, nick-wa5bdu@... writes:
For the iPhone though, there is an app called HamLog that has a button
to take you directly there.

kb4qqj

Thanks Mike,
That makes sense. My phone does all of that via the web and at about the same speed, but I do notice the apps are accessing QRZ and some of the clusters differently. I've just noticed that after playing with the new QRPSPOTS app. I think if I were in a remote areas where there was no 3g/4g or WI-FI the app woud do far better than the direct method. It seems that way anyhow. I'll eventually test it this weekend from some sites I know I don't normally get web access from with the Galaxy.
Thanks for the info.

Randy_KB4QQJ

--- In 4sqrp@..., Bill Cromwell wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 20:47 -0600, Johnny Matlock wrote:
> >

> > OK, I'll bite and show my modern device ignorance. ;-)
> >
> > Terry if you see this first you can disregard my direct email.
> > I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself. This is basically
> > a copy of an offlist email I sent Terry.
> >
> > What the difference in the new QRPSPOTS app and just doing it
> > direct from my android cell phone? I've been accessing
> > QRPSPOTS from my android cell phone (Samsung Galaxy II 4g) for
> > over a year now. While I know a little bit about antennas and
> > radios, I'm not a computer/cell phone/android person. It is a
> > cool app and it may be that all android devices can't access
> > that page like the Galaxy does?
> > It might be a simple or basic question but I am just
> > curious to know the difference.
> >
> > I just did a very quick and simple test post using my cell
> > direct first and then via the new app and don't see any
> > operational or speed differences.
> >
> > Cheerfully awaiting the most obvious and embarrassing answer,
> >
> > Randy_KB4QQJ
>
> Hi,
>
> I wondered the same thing when I saw that. I have one of those "smart
> alec" phones but I just use my computer. I have used the phone for
> accessing web pages... so..
>
> What is the attraction?
>
> 73,
>
> Bill KU8H

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Hello,

I just installed the qrpspots on my Nexus it works partly fine. Only my call doesn't show up although it was listed on the rbn-Network.

Uuups, I just checked also the http://qrpspots.com/ and there my call sign was also not displayed. If I remember correctly ... once upon a time it worked ;-)

72 de
Hajo (DL1SDZ)

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 2:54 AM, WA0ITP <wa0itp@...> wrote:
Our own David Cripe has created a QRPspots app for the Android operating system.
Now QRPspots can be accessed from any of your Android devices, how cool is that?

Download your free copy here  http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/QRPSPOTS/
pull it up on your Smartphone, and make a post to try it out.

Thank you Dave.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAŘITP
www.qrpspots.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Sorry,

I think my memory is getting dimmer. I mixed all up with the http://ham.jit.su/fsqrp .

Anyway nice app.
72 de
Hajo

---

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike-WE0H

Awesome. Works perfect on my rooted Note :) Even allows me to enter 600 meter data. That will be useful later when we get the band as Amateur and I am out running portable QRP in the parks with my tiny antenna ;)
Mike-WE0H