Question about vias on kits?

Jason - WV3V - Las Vegas, NV.

Howdy all,

I have a BJ that I received a month or so ago
and am finally getting things in order to build it. As I read through through the manual, it talks about vias, and filling them in.

My question is, do all of these vias, (such as the inductors) get filled in on all of the kits? I have the cricket20 with the same inductor vias and it didn’t say to fill these in there?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jason WV3V

Ted

I would suggest filling in just the paths that are so indicated in the instructions.

It's a great kit. You'll have fun.

72,
K3RTA

Dave Benson

Jason-

Unless the instructions specifically say to fill in a hole, you do not need to.  They're 'plated-through holes'.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM Jason - WV3V <meteorseeker@...> wrote:

Howdy all,

I have a BJ that I received a month or so ago
and am finally getting things in order to build it. As I read through through the manual, it talks about vias, and filling them in.

My question is, do all of these vias, (such as the inductors) get filled in on all of the kits? I have the cricket20 with the same inductor vias and it didn’t say to fill these in there?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jason WV3V

g gusto

So a "via" is an unused through hole?

Jason - WV3V - Las Vegas, NV.

According to the Bayou manual yes. So I was wondering if they all needed to be filled in on all the kits that have them?

Jason WV3V

g gusto

VIA,  my new vocabulary word for today. Yeah Jason I wouldn't think so unless the instructions say to do it. Good luck! Gus

John Lonigro

A via connects a PCB trace on one side of the board to a trace on the other side of the board.  As Dave Benson says, they are plated-through, so, unless the instructions tell you to fill them in, there's no need to.  One reason you might be asked to fill some with solder is if a lot of current is expected to flow through them.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 3/15/22 15:22, g gusto wrote:
So a "via" is an unused through hole?

Jim, N5IB

John and Dave are on the mark.
A "via" is just a plated through hole that joins the top side copper to the bottom side copper.

Sometimes they are used to make transitions along a trace, so that the trace can run along on one side of the board, then duck over or under to the other side, usually when another trace is blocking the way. They are also sprinkled about to join the top and bottom side ground planes together.

Also, any pad where a component is to be installed is also a kind of via, since there is a pad on the top and bottom and they are connected by the through-plating on the sides of the hole. But in the case of component leads the "via" gets filled by default when you poke the wire lead through and solder. The solder wicks into the hole and fills it.

Being a "belt *and* suspenders" sort of guy I suggested in the Bayou Jumper instructions filling in a select few vias because they carry a relatively large amount of current.
In the case of the BJ, something over half an ampere.

For the geometrically inclined... a typical via is 0.020" or 0.025" in diameter, so its circumference is 0.063" to 0.079".
The board is usually 0.062" thick, so a 0.020" via is equivalent to a trace that is 0.063" wide and 0.062" long. In generally accepted PC board design practice, a trace 0.063" wide, made with "1/2 ounce copper" can, at room temperature, safely carry a current of more than 1 ampere, with a less than 10 degree Celsius rise.

BTW - "1/2 ounce copper" means that one square foot of the copper layer would weigh 1/2 ounce. It really is being used as a measure of the thickness of the copper layer. Most of the boards supplied with QRP kits are made with "1 ounce" copper layers. Hefty power supplies often use "2 ounce."

In general, filling vias is not necessary, but on the other hand, there is no harm in filling them (so long as done neatly with no solder splashes or bridges) Some PC board fab houses allow a designer to specify "filled vias" at time of manufacture, usually at extra cost.

lesson over... quiz next time... LOL

73
Jim, N5IB ...

Jason - WV3V - Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks Jim and all the rest of the replies. Never hurts to ask.

Jason WV3V

Karl Schwab

Thanks Jim (N5IB); I have never heard of such a thing as a "vias"!   Like they say, "you learn something new every day".
Guess I live a sheltered life.
73, de Karl, KO8S

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 4:13 PM Jason - WV3V <meteorseeker@...> wrote:

Thanks Jim and all the rest of the replies. Never hurts to ask.

Jason WV3V

g gusto

Yes, thanks guys. Especially liked technical facts about vias. I'll never look at PCB's the same again!  72. W5GUS

Dan Miller

I recently finished (I hope! Haven't powered it up yet..... Because I'm building a portable battery pack to power these types of things, and I'll need help 'tuning' it anyway) my Bayou Jumper and am working on finishing the Souper Uper add on.

I feel these kits are very well done!
I would say, read all through the instructions before you even start. Figure out any 'errata' that needs to be fixed and do that first, like the instructions state. But, the instructions seem complete (I think I wondered for a while about the 'polarity' of some IC. It didn't have the notch I thought they all had. But you use the 'dot'...).
Take your time and enjoy the build!
Write me if you have any questions. I'll try to help!

Dan, KG7JVE

Here's my almost finished Souper board:
(I say the hardest part is getting the parts to hold straight to get them soldered in nicely... I got close to that goal.)